Topic ClosedPharoah Sanders - Karma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pharoah Sanders - Karma
    Posted: September 07 2013 at 11:14
Clip from the track The Creator Has A Master Plan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13L6sjk080c

This album holds a very special place in my heart. I keep getting back to it every once in a while - it's not like I play it all the time, for that it is far too powerful and bewildering.......and sometimes the music you love needs to rest before you set sails upon it again. For one's own sake, and the music itself. Anyway that's my take on it. Everything can get torn to pieces through repetition.

I think I've listened to it 10 times the past 2 days though......Personally I believe 'The Creator Has A Master Plan' to be one of the greatest musical achievements ever put to tape. It plunges into the most spiritual soulful psychedelic piece from the get-go, and then proceeds to take the listener out on a journey that swoops you through fire, hell and musical bliss. Some of it is so violent that it's preferable to have exactly zero neighbours. 
This can be the most wondrous headphone music ever, but when you air this baby on your stereo in full force, it takes on a life of it's own. It gets monstrous and out of control in the most inspiring manner. Never fails to leave me in awe.

So how about it - any other fans out there?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2013 at 20:43
I like it.

Not as totally out there as I was expecting but a very satisfying listen from start to finish. TCHAMP is a jazz classic for sure.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2013 at 09:45
Thanks for posting Phil - I had a sneaking suspicion that your infinitely lovable and warped mind was familiar with this pieceCool
I know what you mean, when you say that it didn't come off as crazy and left-field as one would expect it to - especially if you've read other people's take on it previous to approaching it yourself. 
I do however think it's the intro and rather "melodic" nature of the music enveloping that mad tooting monster in the middle of the track. Some of that is beyond music and turns into some kind of huge sonic firewall - instigated by that saxophone. Man this guy has got some mad skill! 
Even when he's at his most volatile - he still manages to keep things "together" and well founded in the music around him. Even more so than a player like Coltrane. Then again, I don't think that was ever Coltrane's agenda - that is to produce something as unhinged and monstrous like this. Sanders created a 'niche' for himself imho. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 09:59
Listening to this album for the first time, very cool.  This is the kind of jazz I can get behind.

Edited by HolyMoly - October 18 2013 at 10:01
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 15:30
For some reason his misspelling of "pharaoh" really gets on my nerves.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 17:37
Wow, I never noticed that before. Shocked
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 19:01
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Thanks for posting Phil - I had a sneaking suspicion that your infinitely lovable and warped mind was familiar with this pieceCool
I know what you mean, when you say that it didn't come off as crazy and left-field as one would expect it to - especially if you've read other people's take on it previous to approaching it yourself. 
I do however think it's the intro and rather "melodic" nature of the music enveloping that mad tooting monster in the middle of the track. Some of that is beyond music and turns into some kind of huge sonic firewall - instigated by that saxophone. Man this guy has got some mad skill! 
Even when he's at his most volatile - he still manages to keep things "together" and well founded in the music around him. Even more so than a player like Coltrane. Then again, I don't think that was ever Coltrane's agenda - that is to produce something as unhinged and monstrous like this. Sanders created a 'niche' for himself imho. 

Indeed. It is a great balance of composed and wild, never really losing it's "center". Few, if any, things achieve that sort of successful balance IMO. Really makes it feel like the spiritual side of free jazz.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 08:49
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Listening to this album for the first time, very cool.  This is the kind of jazz I can get behind.

I seem to have missed people posting in this thread, sorryEmbarrassed
Cool to see you digging this Steve! It gets better with every new spin thoughBig smile

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 08:52
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

For some reason his misspelling of "pharaoh" really gets on my nerves.

It was actually a nick name given to him by Sun Ra back when he used to play in his orchestraWink It stuck...

I think it rolls beautifully across the tongue 'Faroah'! 

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 08:54
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Indeed. It is a great balance of composed and wild, never really losing it's "center". Few, if any, things achieve that sort of successful balance IMO. Really makes it feel like the spiritual side of free jazz.

I like the way you said that PhilCool 

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 14:09
I just caught a friend of mine posting this album in the Febus thread and couldn't help but think that there indeed must be at least a few more members on here who know of this monumental record.

Oh and seeing as someone took out time to upload 'The Creator has a Master Plan' in full, I thought I'd share it with you:

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 24 2015 at 14:12

- Douglas Adams
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 14:40
The last 12 minutes is when it gets really good
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 16:29
I first saw this record used, tried to buy it only to find that it had been reserved (?!!) - finally got it on CD, I think when Tower Records went out of business. It's not my favorite album - I think it is a little too "major" sounding, not what I was expecting. I personally prefer Alice Coltrane's Journey in Satchidananda which has a similar vibe - but with harp of course! Thanks for the link to the complete track though - I can't play CDs here at the office...
 Post Reply Post Reply