Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Unsigned Bands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBandcamp suggestions...are they worth it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 19:37
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Quality is not a criterion as far as I'm aware. If it's prog it's prog, surely? By the way, this suggestion isn't a bandcamp artist, and it is of the highest quality imo. Nonetheless it was rejected:

Quality yes, but I can see why they were rightfully rejected, Psychedelic Gothic Rock isn't Prog Rock.
What?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 20:36
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

There is no PR limbo - either propose the band to the Admins for PR or set them as "rejected" in ProgFreak.

Genre Teams using the term "prog related" colloquially when evaluating an artist or band does not necessarily mean that artist or band should be proposed for Prog Related on the PA. I know when I was evaluating in Xover I'd sometimes say "sounds more prog related to me..." it didn't mean I wanted them in Prog Related, just as a band sounding "a bit symphonic" doesn't mean I would have sent them over to Iván.

[/QUOTE]

Points well made Dean, maybe limbo was the wrong choice of word. Not a problem that can't be resolved, either table them on merit or reject them. The discussion got sidetracked a bit and I was highlighting ownership of suggestions mainly before hooking into a PR tangent on unresolved bands. Hope that makes sense and from what you and Chris have said, leave the process beCool
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 19:10
bump

(please?)
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 08:40
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

bump

(please?)
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 16:49
^ What a complete spammerHead on wall

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 17:36
Hitler & Genghis Khan did it their way, it isn't necessarily an attractive trait.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - October 19 2013 at 17:37
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Clibber Jones View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 17:39
Hey folks, I just joined Prog Archives today!

I have to say that I am very glad there are bandcamp reviews, merely because it led me to this website, which I had never heard of before. I am so stoked to be on this forum and to listen to tons of new music.

Svetonio listed my band's "Live at Under the Couch" album as a Bandcamp Recommendation. That means a lot to me; I write all of the music for the band. Our sound is a mix of Prog rock and Minimalism. To even be considered on this forum is a big honor; we've only been playing live for a little over a year, and we are currently recording an EP.

That's my 2 cents!

If you want to hear anything from my band the Clibber Jones Ensemble, here's our website:
www.clibberjonesensemble.com

and here's our Live album:
http://clibberjonesensemble.bandcamp.com/

I suggest checking out "I Am the Avalanche".

Side note: I did not join this forum to self-promote! I am just really excited to have discovered the site.

"Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese."
--Frank Zappa
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 14:16
Embarrassed

Edited by Chris S - October 27 2013 at 23:19

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 14:53
Originally posted by Clibber Jones Clibber Jones wrote:

Hey folks, I just joined Prog Archives today!

I have to say that I am very glad there are bandcamp reviews, merely because it led me to this website, which I had never heard of before. I am so stoked to be on this forum and to listen to tons of new music.

Svetonio listed my band's "Live at Under the Couch" album as a Bandcamp Recommendation. That means a lot to me; I write all of the music for the band. Our sound is a mix of Prog rock and Minimalism. To even be considered on this forum is a big honor; we've only been playing live for a little over a year, and we are currently recording an EP.

That's my 2 cents!

If you want to hear anything from my band the Clibber Jones Ensemble, here's our website:
www.clibberjonesensemble.com

and here's our Live album:
http://clibberjonesensemble.bandcamp.com/

I suggest checking out "I Am the Avalanche".

Side note: I did not join this forum to self-promote! I am just really excited to have discovered the site.

I just listened to it, and continuing with your other music; I like it a lot!  I haven't checked  out bandcamp suggestions that much, but using that as an indication, then yeah, definitely worth it for me. 

I'm sure I'd find lots to love, and a lot that I wouldn't like.... With any suggestions, I would hope, at least that the suggester likes the music and finds it worthwhile, and is choosy rather than just flooding the forum with them.
Clibber Jones View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 16:52
Thank you!

I am unsure what other posters have done, but I've listened to all of Svetonio's bandcamp suggestions and enjoyed them all!

"Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese."
--Frank Zappa
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 17:26
I think every band that writes music that is deemed to be prog should be on the site. I personally like the attention and chances that it gives bands that have never been heard before.

It makes me happy to know that I can search and find bands on here that have only 100 fans on facebook, as many of those groups are just as good as the prog rock bands that have a solid following and labels.

I'm sure it's a lot of work but it has given me the chance to make many friends, and find great music- It is an invaluable tool.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 17:42

Thank you!

I am unsure what other posters have done, but I've listened to all of Svetonio's bandcamp suggestions and enjoyed them all!

How is this humanly possible?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 17:49
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

Thank you!

How is this humanly possible?

Complete nonsense

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 23:51
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Embarrassed
Yea, you would be ashamed.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 19:29
^ Well I don't know what it is Svetonio but you drive me nuts, so best I surf elsewhere around this great site and leave ya to bandcamp nirvana and yes my comment was out of line so I took it down....rave on.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 01:49
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ Well I don't know what it is Svetonio but you drive me nuts, so best I surf elsewhere around this great site and leave ya to bandcamp nirvana and yes my comment was out of line so I took it down....rave on.

I've asked myself the same question a thousand times.

But I know the answer.

A thread with 1,.000 album covers and links is as useful as an ashtray in a motorcycle.

Anybody here can throw 1,000 names easily, but that would help nobody, at least say something coherent about the band, I'm not willing to dig into hours and hours of music without any information to find one or two good bands.

I'm 100% sure that Svetonio has not heard 1% of the bands he throws us, he just posts them because the bands are in Bandcamp and he needs to do it God knows for what reason

People complained about Erik Neuteboom and the free advertising for his site (Including myself), but at least Erik made good reviews and excellent contributions, Bandcamp is getting free advertising here and sorry Svetonio....No contribution for the site.

IMO that thread is only a waste of bandwidth.

Sorry for the rant, but IO believe it was time to say what I feel.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - October 29 2013 at 01:59

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 03:26
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

(...) Erik Neuteboom  (...)

Is he accepted Via Obscura as Symponic Prog as you did, Ivan?

Edited by Svetonio - October 29 2013 at 03:40
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 04:06
LOL

Gothic Rock band with classical and metal influences Stern Smile
What?
Ady Cardiac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 04:33
just throwing me opinion into the cauldron.......i suppose if your an unsigned band these days....and lets face it its the digital age now......you got to use all the outlets you can to grab people....and i cant see the problem with bandcamp....the only problem i have personally...and sorry if this has been said already.....is that its blinking hard to find stuff specificly to my tastes.....as i'm more of a math rock ( hate that term ) and am into polyrhythm stuff and that sort of thing is impossible to find.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 05:07
Originally posted by Ady Cardiac Ady Cardiac wrote:

just throwing me opinion into the cauldron.......i suppose if your an unsigned band these days....and lets face it its the digital age now......you got to use all the outlets you can to grab people....and i cant see the problem with bandcamp....the only problem i have personally...and sorry if this has been said already.....is that its blinking hard to find stuff specificly to my tastes.....as i'm more of a math rock ( hate that term ) and am into polyrhythm stuff and that sort of thing is impossible to find.
No problem man, yesterday I recommended Vasudeva, signed math-rockers from Ireland: http://littleleaguerecords.bandcamp.com/album/life-in-cycles
Also, few days ago I suggested Jean Jean, also signed math rockers from Paris: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95648
If you searching for more avant stuff, please check this "bandcamp suggestion" by me, Gravitsapa from Ukraine; this is the signed band too: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95272
Also check (if did not already) earlier this year suggested Postmaddona, American math rockers http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92933

Peace!
Svetonio

Edited by Svetonio - October 29 2013 at 05:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>