Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Unsigned Bands
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bandcamp suggestions...are they worth it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bandcamp suggestions...are they worth it?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Message
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 20 2010
Location: Serbia
Status: Offline
Points: 6620
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 03:04
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

While I don't come close to listening to all of the "bandcamp bands" recommended here, I have found a couple of dozen bands on bandcamp that I enjoy and have bought CDs from.  I think bandcamp is a great place for both new and established bands to release their music.  I would also hate for a band to not be added to PA just because bandcamp is their only/primary distribution method.

Long live bandcamp!  Big smile
Clap Beer
Back to Top
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Symphonic Prog Specialist

Joined: April 27 2004
Location: Peru
Status: Offline
Points: 17725
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 11:35
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

@Ivan

Actually, I said "yes you did it after my suggestion", I didn't mentioned the bandcamp recommendation on Bandcamp thread. Also, the link I posted to proove it, that's the same link what you posted.

Yes, before I suggested Via Obscura for Symphonic, I regullary recommended Via Obscura debut album (btw, this is actually the project, not really band) on Bandcamp thread.

I said all of this just because you guys think that bandcamp is more or less an useless thing, that I did a bad thing for this site with a lot of "bandcamp bands" and "bedroom magicians" what I suggested, recommended and posted at "Unsigned Bands" forum, while I think that Bandcamp now is THE best service for the new bands and the listeners/buyers who can hear all of the new tendencies in Progressive Rock and, consenquently, I did do so many of nice and accepted suggestions who are based on searching Bandcamp - although not all of my successfuly accepted suggestions went here via Bandcamp.

Svetonio: Nobody is saying Bandcamp is useless

A thread where names are thrown to us with absolutely no information is useless.
Back to Top
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Joined: May 13 2007
Location: Albion
Status: Offline
Points: 33150
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 19:49
Let's be VERY clear here:
 
We are NOT discussing the Bandcamp recommendations thread. We have no obligation to sift that thread looking for bands. If I find an interesting electro-gothic-techno-thrash-rumba band on Bandcamp I can use that thread to tell the world about them, state why I think they are great and discuss that with other people, I am not suggesting them for evaluation. 
 
We are discussing Bandcamp suggestions made in the Suggest New Bands and Artists lounge.
Any new thread created in the Suggest New Bands and Artists lounge is a direct request to us to evaluate the band or artist for inclusion in the PA.
 
That lounge has very specific guidelines to make the suggestions process more effective: Band submission procedure.
 
Fortunately Svetoni suggestions are so poor we do not have to worry about finding pictures, biographies and discographies for these bands because >90% of them are never going to be added to the database.
 
To date he has suggested 100s of bands in the Suggest New Bands and Artists lounge, 43 in the past two months. How many of those have been added to the PA? Not many. Of the last 43 suggestions? = 3. The total number of reviews and ratings for those three bands? = 1 (and that was cut'n'paste cross-posting from JMA ... gee thanks, we already owned that one)
 
Just looking at those past two months: if each band takes a minimum of 1 hour per team member to evaluate and each team is a minimum of three people that equates to 129 man-hours work - add to that the sterling efforts of Chris and the New Bands team in monitoring those threads and we are looking at 150 man-hours effort for no real gain for the PA. If we had to pay minimum UK wage for that we'd be signing a wage bill of a thousand Euros (and everyone here is worth much more than minimum wage).
 
Two months of submissions = €1,000 for one review that we owned anyway. Ouch
 
Frankly, that is not good enough.
 
A rough guess of the total number of suggestions he has made is >500 - that would be 1,500 man-hours wasted effort  ... just so he can crow about iamthemorning and Via Obscura. Somehow this does not seem worth the effort.
So, thanks but no thanks.
 


If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Back to Top
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 20 2010
Location: Serbia
Status: Offline
Points: 6620
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 00:30
@Dean

This is the list of the bands and solo artists that added to The Prog Archives of my suggestions at the last 3-4 months. 
As it may be necessery sometimes that eval process takes longer, I have indicated these my successful suggestions as *suggested earlier* as well. Thought, all of the bands and solo artists on the list are added to PA of my suggestions at the last 3 - 4 months. 
Maybe I forget to mentioned some band, but I know you'll not mind.


1) No Ticket (crossover prog) 

2) Ontofield (crossover prog)

3) Omnipresent (crossover prog)

4) Mark Miller (crossover prog)

5) The Twenty Committee (crossover prog) (suggested earlier)

6) Mother's Cake ( crossover prog) (suggested earlier)

7) Of Sound Mind (crossover prog) (suggested earlier)

8) The Prognosis (crossover prog)

9) Babadag (prog folk)

10) Camelias Garden ( prog folk) (suggested earlier)

11) Xenograft (eclectic)  (suggested earlier)

12) Purge Solenoid (eclectic) (suggested earlier)

13) Good NightOwl (eclectic)

14) A Cosmic Trail (heavy prog)

15) Role of the Observer (heavy prog)

16) Atlas Volt (heavy prog)

17) Michael Zucker (heavy prog) (suggested earlier)

18) Cinicism Management (heavy prog) (suggested earlier)

19) Black Market Sorotonin (heavy prog)

20) Means End (progressive metal)

21) Harvest (progressive metal) (suggested earlier)

22) Riddle House (experimental / post metal)

23) Kovlo (post/math)

24) Years Of Rice And Salt ( post/math) (suggested earlier)

25) Sennen (NL) (post/math) (suggested earlier)

26) WhyOceans (post/math) (suggested earlier)

27) Hua Lun (post/math) (suggested earlier)

28) Blim (psyche/space)

29) Mind! (psych/space)

30) In Zaire (psych/space)

31) The Invisible Band! (psych/space) (suggested earlier)

32) One Of These Days & Thee Heavy Random Tone Colour (psych/space)

33) Snovi (psych/space)

34) Fairuz Derin Bulut (psych/space)

35) Napatista (psych/space) 

36) The Redlesham Forest Incident ( psych/space)

37) The Outerspace Milkmen (psych/space)

38) Fotosputnik (krautrock)

39) Killed On X-Mass (krautrock) (suggested earlier)

40) Dolorosa (krautrock) (suggested earlier)

41) OnYou (krautrock) (suggested earlier)

42) Goldbug (RIO/avant)

43) Tigress And U-Fraidees (RIO/avant)

44) Ultra Zook (RIO/avant)

45) Ukandanz (RIO/avant)

46) Jinete Azul ( jazz-rock/fusion)

47) Gis Maj Es (jazz-rock/fusion)

48) Mickylee (jazz-rock/fusion)

49) Vanderson (progressive electronic)

50) ComputerChemist (progressive electronic)

51) Neon Leaves (neo prog)



Edited by Svetonio - September 21 2013 at 03:17
Back to Top
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: December 28 2006
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 8106
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 03:30
The way I regard this situation is a bit different from others I guess. That we have people that suggest many new possible artists that merits a check is for me natural when regarding the following from the bleeding obvious department:

This sites stated vision:
PROG ARCHIVES intends to be the most complete and powerful progressive rock resource.

And mission statement:

The Prog Archives Web site Project came out from a common dream of a small group of fanatic progressive rock music collectors who decided to develop a WEB SITE for the online progressive rock music community, with the goal of providing extensive Progressive Rock Music information, as well as interaction features for the prog surfers.

We have been collecting this DATA for quite some time, but we are far from finished. There are still plenty of old records to be remembered and added to the site, plus all the new creations that are being made. We not only welcome any feedback you may have about the site, but any help you can provide us.

We appreciate your support, and your feed back is very important to us, cause we are always looking forward to become... We have a small staff, and all of us have a primary job, so we work our asses off to get the whole thing up and running on our spare time.

Whether you are an artist, producer, recording engineer, record label or just a fan and don't see a record that you feel should be in this web page, please contact us. We welcome any chance to improve this site.


---

The problem is that the site's internal mechanisms as they are today are too work intensive to handle the influx of suggestions. Which for me suggests that there are three solutions to the problem:

Either altering the site's vision and mission statement to regulate the influx of suggestions

Or altering the site's internal mechanisms so that the site can function in a manner that enables it to follow up on the vision and mission statement currently active.

Or opting to live in a situation with permanent extensive backlogs.

This is regarding the situation from a business oriented point of view of course. Much the same as when a business is too successful to cope with incoming orders - you either expand, narrow down your field of interests or tell your customers that there will be an extensive backlog due to high demand. As far as I'm concerned telling some of your customers to take their business elsewhere tends to be a less than optimal solution, but it kind of works as a short term fix - until the next demanding customer comes along.
The Progressive Rock record labels project: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85100
Back to Top
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Joined: May 13 2007
Location: Albion
Status: Offline
Points: 33150
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 04:20
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

@Dean

This is the list of the bands and solo artists that added to The Prog Archives of my suggestions at the last 3-4 months. 
As it may be necessery sometimes that eval process takes longer, I have indicated these my successful suggestions as *suggested earlier* as well. Thought, all of the bands and solo artists on the list are added to PA of my suggestions at the last 3 - 4 months. 
Maybe I forget to mentioned some band, but I know you'll not mind.

 
How many suggestions in total? How many rejects?
 
How many of those did you provide biographies for? How many of those did you provide full discographies for (track listings, track times, musician line-ups, release info)?
 
How many of those have you written a review for?
 
Sorry Svetoni, you are too much hard work. You suggest too many bands that do not get added, you overload our teams and do not provide us any information.
 
Do you not understand that people are complaining about your suggestions?
 


If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Back to Top
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Joined: May 13 2007
Location: Albion
Status: Offline
Points: 33150
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 04:38
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

The way I regard this situation is a bit different from others I guess. That we have people that suggest many new possible artists that merits a check is for me natural when regarding the following from the bleeding obvious department:

This sites stated vision:
PROG ARCHIVES intends to be the most complete and powerful progressive rock resource.

And mission statement:

The Prog Archives Web site Project came out from a common dream of a small group of fanatic progressive rock music collectors who decided to develop a WEB SITE for the online progressive rock music community, with the goal of providing extensive Progressive Rock Music information, as well as interaction features for the prog surfers.

We have been collecting this DATA for quite some time, but we are far from finished. There are still plenty of old records to be remembered and added to the site, plus all the new creations that are being made. We not only welcome any feedback you may have about the site, but any help you can provide us.

We appreciate your support, and your feed back is very important to us, cause we are always looking forward to become... We have a small staff, and all of us have a primary job, so we work our asses off to get the whole thing up and running on our spare time.

Whether you are an artist, producer, recording engineer, record label or just a fan and don't see a record that you feel should be in this web page, please contact us. We welcome any chance to improve this site.


---

The problem is that the site's internal mechanisms as they are today are too work intensive to handle the influx of suggestions. Which for me suggests that there are three solutions to the problem:

Either altering the site's vision and mission statement to regulate the influx of suggestions

Or altering the site's internal mechanisms so that the site can function in a manner that enables it to follow up on the vision and mission statement currently active.

Or opting to live in a situation with permanent extensive backlogs.

This is regarding the situation from a business oriented point of view of course. Much the same as when a business is too successful to cope with incoming orders - you either expand, narrow down your field of interests or tell your customers that there will be an extensive backlog due to high demand. As far as I'm concerned telling some of your customers to take their business elsewhere tends to be a less than optimal solution, but it kind of works as a short term fix - until the next demanding customer comes along.
The site is not here for amateur and unsigned artists. The definition of those has changed with the advent of self-release sites like BandCamp and SoundCloud, amateur and unsigned artist can even have albums sold on Amazon and iTunes now. The PA Mission Statement was never intended to be applied to amateur and unsigned artists, that's why we have this section of the forum - seperate from the PA database.
 
We do not have to change the mission statement, the additions process or live with a backlog. We need to apply them more rigidly and actually stay on mission.
 
 


If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Back to Top
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: December 28 2006
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 8106
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 05:06
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The site is not here for amateur and unsigned artists. The definition of those has changed with the advent of self-release sites like BandCamp and SoundCloud, amateur and unsigned artist can even have albums sold on Amazon and iTunes now. The PA Mission Statement was never intended to be applied to amateur and unsigned artists, that's why we have this section of the forum - seperate from the PA database.
 
We do not have to change the mission statement, the additions process or live with a backlog. We need to apply them more rigidly and actually stay on mission.
 
 



Signed artist - unsigned artist
The Progressive Rock record labels project: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85100
Back to Top
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avatar
Site and Forum Admin

Joined: January 22 2009
Location: Dolly Parton
Status: Offline
Points: 13205
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 05:09
I see your logic Olav, but what it would entail would amount to a huge cataloguing site like Discogs, where something like 80 percent of it's listings reside in the shadow. 
I don't think there's an upcoming Prog Revolution on the horizon any time soon - the amount of members actually visiting this site has always seemed pretty set to me, that is as far back as I can remember. People come and go, but we're still basically the same amount of users, and I don't see any real proof of them talking about these artists. 

And personally, I'd like to see the site remain in it's current form - without having to hire all kinds of extra hands who would do nothing but add artists that worldwide maybe 50 people know the names of.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Back to Top
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Joined: May 13 2007
Location: Albion
Status: Offline
Points: 33150
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 05:09

Yeah. Difficult isn't it. Don't make it more difficult.



If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Back to Top
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: June 09 2004
Location: Front Range
Status: Offline
Points: 6767
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 06:02
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I see your logic Olav, but what it would entail would amount to a huge cataloguing site like Discogs, where something like 80 percent of it's listings reside in the shadow. 
I don't think there's an upcoming Prog Revolution on the horizon any time soon - the amount of members actually visiting this site has always seemed pretty set to me, that is as far back as I can remember. People come and go, but we're still basically the same amount of users, and I don't see any real proof of them talking about these artists. 

And personally, I'd like to see the site remain in it's current form - without having to hire all kinds of extra hands who would do nothing but add artists that worldwide maybe 50 people know the names of.

Very well said. I see Olav's point too especially reference Eastern Block bands that fell through the cracks but in terms of Bandcamp suggestions,no, and the number that disappear into obscurity once added to the database with no reviews no current follow up after one album addition. You see with legit valid additions normally there is a history that lends to numerous member's input, review and updates. The vast majority of those have been done and dusted, even controversial additions.So again are they worth it or does it threaten the credibility of the site? I just think some common sense needs to prevail for what it's worth.
Music - The Sound Librarian
...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...
Back to Top
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: December 28 2006
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 8106
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 07:12
For limiting suggestions somewhat, documenting that a band selling their music through Soundcloud or Bandcamp also use other sales channels and/or also have their music available in physical format might eliminate some suggestions.
I do find that the majority of so called Bandcamp bands actually do so however, except some of the free releases. This band for instance, have their album for free on Bandcamp. But visit their facebook page, and you'll see that they have an actual CD to sell too. But it might be an idea to ask those who suggest artists to document that this is the case.

Still, it all boils down to whether or not a band wants to be signed I guess. I.e. if they want to sign a contract for a distribution and consignment sales deal with someone or not. A monetary rather than a quality dividing line in terms of how the music business works today.

As far as credibility goes - metal archives have 10 times the number of artists that progarchives has. At least 90% of their database will forever lie in the shadows of obscurity. Probably even more. Has this affected the credibility of that site, just to draw a comparison to a similar site?
The Progressive Rock record labels project: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85100
Back to Top
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Joined: May 13 2007
Location: Albion
Status: Offline
Points: 33150
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 07:54
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

For limiting suggestions somewhat, documenting that a band selling their music through Soundcloud or Bandcamp also use other sales channels and/or also have their music available in physical format might eliminate some suggestions.
I do find that the majority of so called Bandcamp bands actually do so however, except some of the free releases. This band for instance, have their album for free on Bandcamp. But visit their facebook page, and you'll see that they have an actual CD to sell too. But it might be an idea to ask those who suggest artists to document that this is the case.
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I strongly believe we should not be expending too much energy on these bands. If they have a web-presence outside Bandcamp and the ubiquitous social network channels then (and only then) should we look at them, but that should be at the discretion of the respective Sub-genre Teams, not as a golden rule that they must follow.
In other words they should have a web-presence that is not solely created by themselves.
 
Shouldn't that be enough?
 
If an artist has a following and/or a fan-base then this web-presence will be there and other sites will create unsolicited content.
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:


Still, it all boils down to whether or not a band wants to be signed I guess. I.e. if they want to sign a contract for a distribution and consignment sales deal with someone or not. A monetary rather than a quality dividing line in terms of how the music business works today.
I cannot express in words why I think this is missing the point, I know, I've been trying for the past six years to express it. I believe there is a difference between amatuer and aspiring that has nothing to do with any monetary considerations.
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:



As far as credibility goes - metal archives have 10 times the number of artists that progarchives has. At least 90% of their database will forever lie in the shadows of obscurity. Probably even more. Has this affected the credibility of that site, just to draw a comparison to a similar site?
Do you mean compared to Metal Music Archives? Encyclopaedia Metallum has 92,000 bands compared to MMA's 13,000? (to PA's 8,000)  You cannot compare a Metal site with a Prog site - that's specious.


If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Back to Top
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Symphonic Prog Specialist

Joined: April 27 2004
Location: Peru
Status: Offline
Points: 17725
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 16:07
The problem is this



Quote
1) No Ticket (crossover prog) 0 Reviews - 0 Ratings

2) Ontofield (crossover prog) 30 reviews or ratings

3) Omnipresent (crossover prog) 0 Reviews - 0 Ratings

4) Mark Miller (crossover prog)  0 Reviews - 0 Ratings

5) The Twenty Committee (crossover prog) (suggested earlier) 24 reviews and ratings, but the  band sent us MP3 of the album and asked us to review it, which some of us did with pleasurte

6) Mother's Cake ( crossover prog) (suggested earlier) 0 Reviews - 0 Ratings

7) Of Sound Mind (crossover prog) (suggested earlier) 0 Reviews - 0 Ratings

8) The Prognosis (crossover prog) 0 Reviews - 1 Ratings

9) Babadag (prog folk) 0 Reviews - 0 Ratings

10) Camelias Garden ( prog folk) (suggested earlier)  3 Reviews - 81 Ratings ???

11) Xenograft (eclectic)  (suggested earlier) 2 Reviews - 0 Ratings - 2 albums

12) Purge Solenoid (eclectic) (suggested earlier) 0 Reviews - 1 Rating (Robert in order to have at least 1 review)

13) Good NightOwl (eclectic) 0 Reviews - 5 Ratings - 5 albums  (All 5 stars by a Daniel Lewis CUPPS the one man band )

14) A Cosmic Trail (heavy prog) 4 Reviews - 2 Ratings - 2 albums 

15) Role of the Observer (heavy prog) 0 Reviews - 1 Ratings - 2 albums 

16) Atlas Volt (heavy prog) 1 Reviews - 1 Ratings 

17) Michael Zucker (heavy prog) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 24 albums

18) Cinicism Management (heavy prog) (suggested earlier) Cinicism Management Reviews - 0 Ratings

19) Black Market Sorotonin (heavy prog) Reviews - 0 Ratings

20) Means End (progressive metal) Reviews - 1 Ratings

21) Harvest (progressive metal) (suggested earlier) 0 Reviews 1 Rating (Dean showed me I had mistaken them with the Spanish Neo Prog Band with the same name that has many more reviews)

22) Riddle House (experimental / post metal) Reviews - 0 Ratings

23) Kovlo (post/math) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 4 albums

24) Years Of Rice And Salt ( post/math) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 2 albums

25) Sennen (NL) (post/math) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings

26) WhyOceans (post/math) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings

27) Hua Lun (post/math) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings

28) Blim (psyche/space) Reviews - 0 Ratings

29) Mind! (psych/space) Reviews - 0 Ratings

30) In Zaire (psych/space) Reviews - 2 Ratings

31) The Invisible Band! (psych/space) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 3 albums

32) One Of These Days & Thee Heavy Random Tone Colour (psych/space) Reviews - 1 Ratings

33) Snovi (psych/space) Reviews - 0 Ratings

34) Fairuz Derin Bulut (psych/space) Reviews - 3 Ratings - 3 albums (All 5 stars and by the same member)

35) Napatista (psych/space) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 2 albums

36) The Redlesham Forest Incident ( psych/space) Reviews - 0 Ratings

37) The Outerspace Milkmen (psych/space) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 2 albums

38) Fotosputnik (krautrock) Reviews - 0 Ratings

39) Killed On X-Mass (krautrock) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 3 albums

40) Dolorosa (krautrock) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 2 albums

41) OnYou (krautrock) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings

42) Goldbug (RIO/avant) Reviews - 1 Rating (By a guy who has 435 ratings w/o review)

43) Tigress And U-Fraidees (RIO/avant) Reviews - 0 Ratings

44) Ultra Zook (RIO/avant) 2 Reviews - 1 Rating - 2 albums

45) Ukandanz (RIO/avant) Reviews - 1 Ratings

46) Jinete Azul ( jazz-rock/fusion) Reviews - 1 Ratings

47) Gis Maj Es (jazz-rock/fusion) Reviews - 0 Ratings

48) Mickylee (jazz-rock/fusion) Reviews - 0 Ratings

49) Vanderson (progressive electronic)  0Reviews - 0 Ratings - 7 albums

50) ComputerChemist (progressive electronic) Reviews - 8 Ratings - 7 albums

51) Neon Leaves (neo prog) Reviews - 0 Ratings

Do you see the pattern?

We're not helping anybody

- Not the band, because only 2 or 3 albums have a decent number of reviews.
- Not the PA visitor, who really doesn't seem to care for this bands.
- Not the site, because we have more bands without reviews than ever.

But to be honest, what pisses me more is that the guy who suggested all this bands, doesn't have a single review or a rating.

That's the main problem IMHO

Iván


Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 21 2013 at 20:45
Back to Top
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: June 09 2004
Location: Front Range
Status: Offline
Points: 6767
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 16:33
^ Speaks volumes...very poor.Perhaps an admin can tell Svetonio, no bio,album links,no reviews( retrospect), no deal. It does affect the integrity of the site
Music - The Sound Librarian
...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...
Back to Top
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avatar
Site and Forum Admin

Joined: January 22 2009
Location: Dolly Parton
Status: Offline
Points: 13205
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 16:40
Both Dean, Keishiro and I have talked to Svetonio about this, both in his threads as well as in private. I hope he has come around and maybe now understands better the strains that this infernal continuous suggestion stream has put on the teams.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Back to Top
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Joined: May 13 2007
Location: Albion
Status: Offline
Points: 33150
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 19:47
The thing with presenting tables like this to a suspicious soul like me is once I see anomalies my curiosity is piqued, and that is seldom going to end well.
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

The problem is this
Quote
1) No Ticket (crossover prog) 0 Reviews - 0 Ratings
2) Ontofield (crossover prog) 30 reviews or ratings - now 2 reviews and 8 ratings
3) Omnipresent (crossover prog) 0 Reviews - 0 Ratings
4) Mark Miller (crossover prog)  0 Reviews - 0 Ratings
5) The Twenty Committee (crossover prog) (suggested earlier) 24 reviews and ratings, but the  band sent us MP3 of the album and asked us to review it, which some of us did with pleasurte
6) Mother's Cake ( crossover prog) (suggested earlier) 0 Reviews - 0 Ratings
7) Of Sound Mind (crossover prog) (suggested earlier) 0 Reviews - 0 Ratings
8) The Prognosis (crossover prog) 0 Reviews - 1 Ratings
9) Babadag (prog folk) 0 Reviews - 0 Ratings
10) Camelias Garden ( prog folk) (suggested earlier)  3 Reviews - 81 Ratings ??? - now 3 reviews and 24 ratings
11) Xenograft (eclectic)  (suggested earlier) 2 Reviews - 0 Ratings - 2 albums
12) Purge Solenoid (eclectic) (suggested earlier) 0 Reviews - 1 Rating (Robert in order to have at least 1 review)
13) Good NightOwl (eclectic) 0 Reviews - 5 Ratings - 5 albums  (All 5 stars by a Daniel Lewis CUPPS the one man band )
14) A Cosmic Trail (heavy prog) 4 Reviews - 2 Ratings - 2 albums 
15) Role of the Observer (heavy prog) 0 Reviews - 1 Ratings - 2 albums 
16) Atlas Volt (heavy prog) 1 Reviews - 1 Ratings 
17) Michael Zucker (heavy prog) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 24 albums
18) Cinicism Management (heavy prog) (suggested earlier) Cinicism Management Reviews - 0 Ratings
19) Black Market Sorotonin (heavy prog) Reviews - 0 Ratings
20) Means End (progressive metal) Reviews - 1 Ratings
21) Harvest (progressive metal) (suggested earlier) 17 reviews or ratings <- Wrong band Iván, this Harvest has 1 rating, 0 reviews.
22) Riddle House (experimental / post metal) Reviews - 0 Ratings
23) Kovlo (post/math) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 4 albums
24) Years Of Rice And Salt ( post/math) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 2 albums
25) Sennen (NL) (post/math) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings
26) WhyOceans (post/math) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Rating
27) Hua Lun (post/math) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings
28) Blim (psyche/space) Reviews - 0 Ratings
29) Mind! (psych/space) Reviews - 0 Ratings
30) In Zaire (psych/space) Reviews - 2 Ratings
31) The Invisible Band! (psych/space) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 3 albums
32) One Of These Days & Thee Heavy Random Tone Colour (psych/space) Reviews - 1 Ratings
33) Snovi (psych/space) Reviews - 0 Ratings
34) Fairuz Derin Bulut (psych/space) Reviews - 3 Ratings - 3 albums (All 5 stars and by the same member)
35) Napatista (psych/space) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 2 albums
36) The Redlesham Forest Incident ( psych/space) Reviews - 0 Ratings
37) The Outerspace Milkmen (psych/space) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 2 albums
38) Fotosputnik (krautrock) Reviews - 0 Ratings
39) Killed On X-Mass (krautrock) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 3 albums
40) Dolorosa (krautrock) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings - 2 albums
41) OnYou (krautrock) (suggested earlier) Reviews - 0 Ratings
42) Goldbug (RIO/avant) Reviews - 1 Rating (By a guy who has 435 ratings w/o review)
43) Tigress And U-Fraidees (RIO/avant) Reviews - 0 Ratings
44) Ultra Zook (RIO/avant) 2 Reviews - 1 Rating - 2 albums
45) Ukandanz (RIO/avant) Reviews - 1 Ratings
46) Jinete Azul ( jazz-rock/fusion) Reviews - 1 Ratings
47) Gis Maj Es (jazz-rock/fusion) Reviews - 0 Ratings
48) Mickylee (jazz-rock/fusion) Reviews - 0 Ratings
49) Vanderson (progressive electronic)  0Reviews - 0 Ratings - 7 albums
50) ComputerChemist (progressive electronic) Reviews - 8 Ratings - 7 albums
51) Neon Leaves (neo prog) Reviews - 0 Ratings
 
Stern Smile The number of ratings for Ontofield and Camelias Garden have just taken a very dramatic drop. This is nothing to do with the artists. Once two or more Collabs review an album it enters the chart of the year and becomes a target for rating abusers. I am pretty sure that if collabs had not reviewed those albums then the total number of ratings for both those albums would be 1 or even 0.
 
Bottom line is >500 artists suggested, 51 artists added, amount of interest in those 51 artists = fu*k all.
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Oh no! I am suggesting something because of the same reason why for example I am voting on PA polls - just for fun Cool  I dont expect any adds, but if will be some - thats fine. I am not a musician or roadie from the bands I suggested; so I really dont care are they gonna be added or not. 
Thanks for your assistance Svetoni, but please... enough is enough. You've had some fun, but the fun never started for us. So I am asking you very politely to stop suggesting bands. You can continue to dick about in the Bandcamp Recommendations thread to your hearts content because you've already broken that so no one bothers even reading it anymore.
 


If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Back to Top
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Symphonic Prog Specialist

Joined: April 27 2004
Location: Peru
Status: Offline
Points: 17725
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 20:50
Hey, you noticed the interrogations signs after Camelias Garden, 3 reviews and 84 ratings sounded fishy.

BTW: Good call with Harvest, the name sounded familiar (Not only for the label), I believe there's a third band with the same name.

Iván


Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 21 2013 at 20:50
Back to Top
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Joined: May 13 2007
Location: Albion
Status: Offline
Points: 33150
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 20:54
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Hey, you noticed the interrogations signs after Camelias Garden, 3 reviews and 84 ratings sounded fishy.

BTW: Good call with Harvest, the name sounded familiar (Not only for the label), I believe there's a third band with the same name.

Iván
Yup - two hours deleting bogus ratings and suspending people with multiple accounts. Not quite what I had planned for a Saturday night.


If you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise and then just behave like they would - Neil Gaiman
Back to Top
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 20 2010
Location: Serbia
Status: Offline
Points: 6620
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 22:58
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

 
(...)

But to be honest, what pisses me more is that the guy who suggested all this bands, doesn't have a single review or a rating.

That's the main problem IMHO

Iván

This can't be a "problem" at all because that lack of my reviews is nothing against the PA' rules. There's not a rule that a suggester of new band ought to write a review for them - a suggestion doesn't have to be delivered with a review.
The same thing is with rating the albums. 
Also, I don't  have the talent to write esseys on the music I listening to, not even in my native language. As far as I know, you don't like ameteurism in any form and you wouldn't like to read my reviews.

 


Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.084 seconds.