Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Unsigned Bands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBandcamp suggestions...are they worth it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 10:49
Conversations and discussions move on, sure, we're not quite on the same subject now because one over-zealous happy camper on the previous page used this thread to self-promote his music, which slightly changed the subject of this thread.
What?
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 10:59
Ok, got it.
Was actualy two diffrent subject
But with the same main character in a leading role
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 12:37
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Perhaps a tad unnecessary to quote the entire post but whatev...

This is getting a little old by now anyways Svetonio. Feel free to use the bandcamp thread as much as you want - nobody's stopping you. I'll just say this though: how often do you see other people posting besides band members chiming in to say thanks? I can see why you're doing this, because it gets you a load of cool contacts with musicians who all feel great about you giving them some free advertising. But that's the point - I don't think people use the thread any more - because let's face it: where are the fans? Where are all the other posters? 
Yes, exactly! Why not? A lot of the musicians are giving to us their stuff for free at Bandcamp!  
Regarding other posters' low activity at Bandcamp Recommandations thread.. Well, I can't make any propaganda in favour of more posters but Gulbamsen you know that you are, as others Admins and SCs as well, always welcome to write something about some of these magnificient contemporary prog albums what I posted there. I know that you don't have much time but it could be just great.

Edited by Svetonio - November 12 2013 at 12:43
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 12:42
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Perhaps a tad unnecessary to quote the entire post but whatev...

This is getting a little old by now anyways Svetonio. Feel free to use the bandcamp thread as much as you want - nobody's stopping you. I'll just say this though: how often do you see other people posting besides band members chiming in to say thanks? I can see why you're doing this, because it gets you a load of cool contacts with musicians who all feel great about you giving them some free advertising. But that's the point - I don't think people use the thread any more - because let's face it: where are the fans? Where are all the other posters? 
Yes, exactly! Why not? A lot of the musicians are giving to us their stuff for free at Bandcamp!  
Regarding other posters' low activity at Bandcamp Recommandations thread.. Well, I can't make any propaganda in favour of more posters but Gulbamsen you know that you are, as others Admins and SCs as well, always welcome to write something about some of these magnificient contemporary prog albums what I posted there. I know that you don't have much time but it could be just great.

Hey, here's an idea - why don't you do it? That is all we ask. Write something on every single album you post. Not glibly copy the promotional blurb from the bandcamp page, but tell us what YOU think of the album. That is not too much to ask.

What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 12:48

^ I said so many times and I repeat again that I don't have any talent to write the esseys about the music I listen, so I never gonna do it at Bandcamp Recommandations thread. Also, my English is very poor Embarrassed

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 12:54

^ I said so many times and I repeat again that I don't have any talent to write the esseys about the music I listen, so I never gonna do it at Bandcamp Recommandations thread. Also, my English is very poor Embarrassed

Yet you can defend yourself perfectly when you're posting in this threadConfused
Say you dig the guitar, the synth, the drums, the cow bells the anything really! Write a little of what it reminds you of: Folk, Metal, Trance, Elvis, Vangelis, Dream Theater, Celine Dion. I mean, just a little bit of personal insight from you - how you feel about the album - what you think of it. Not a review - just your thoughts on the album. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 12:54
I don't have problems in reviewing bandcamp's stuff if the artist is on PA. My last Bandcamp reviews are about Kanoi. It's good krautrock and the fact that is self-released and downloadable for free on bandcamp doesn't make the music less valuable.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 12:56
I feel that way too Luca, but that's not the discussion right nowWink
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 12:56

Just say something. One sentence or two
"Brazilian group, like mastodon with Latin flavor"
"Italian group, modern hard Prog rock"
"Weird music, I don't know how to respond, but I like it"
"Danceable math rock"
"Enjoyable band here. Relaxing"
"Boring at first but it grows on you"

I'm not sayin I want his thread gone, i just want the smallest smallest opinion. Because you often post these 3 minutes apart it looks like you aren't listening to it. How do I know if it's anything? What if it's a dream pop record with a death metal type cover? Just say one thing. No essay.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 12:59
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I don't have problems in reviewing bandcamp's stuff if the artist is on PA. My last Bandcamp reviews are about Kanoi. It's good krautrock and the fact that is self-released and downloadable for free on bandcamp doesn't make the music less valuable.
Thumbs Up
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 13:00
Let me ask the following:  what is the difference between what you post and this

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 13:11

The level of English you display in your posts is better than most native speakers. I'll calling bullsh*t on this.

We don't want essays, all we ask is a sentence or two on what you think of the album. If you cannot be bothered then I fully understand, if it is too much trouble for you I can accept that - however if that is the case then why be bothered with posting an album cover and a link?

What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 13:39

@Dean, just to convince you in my good nature, I will specify a sub-genre. I hope you will salute this.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 13:46
It's a starting point, I'm sure you can do much better than that.
What?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 13:56

@Dean, just to convince you in my good nature, I will specify a sub-genre. I hope you will salute this.

Svetonio, I am someone who upset a few people not that long ago with my suggestions as to how we classify sub-genre's. I do not propose to revisit that, but say this as someone who has a natural inclination to support those who feel a little bit isolated on opinions which attract censure.

However, Dean and everyone else are absolutely spot on in this thread, and you would do well to take notice of people such as these who are decent and honest in their advice.

All people are asking for is a short line or two describing the music you recommend here. Your English is perfectly adequate to enable you to do this, as witnessed by the many posts on this thread.

For example, if you were to write...."band X sound rather like Marillion at the time of Radiation", and etc., then I for one would be far more interested in actually taking the time to listen to the stuff. It does not have to be an essay, just a brief helpful description of what you are putting up. 

You never know, but with this, myself, Ivan, or any other collab here might just listen to what you recommend on that basis, like it, and use the site to discuss, review, and promote.

Personally I do not agree with the site policy about artist additions from artists without some form of physical product. It is outdated, IMHO, but that is NOT the issue here. The issue is about being flooded with stuff without any description whatsoever, which is unhelpful and, frankly, a waste of yours and everyone else's time.

A couple of lines. Talk about the music briefly. Give us a clue. Make us happy.

Or.......disappear into irrelevance, or, worse, get yourself suspended. I would not like to see that. I suspect that neither would the people you are taking so much time arguing with, either.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 14:06
^ All great points, but my guess is you have no chance. Spam is spamStern Smile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 14:17
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

All great points

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 14:31
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It's a starting point, I'm sure you can do much better than that.
Voila! Blind Tigers hot & crispy from the oven http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69197&PID=4889514#4889514
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 14:58
So, what do they sound like?
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 15:19
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote: