Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost accessible prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most accessible prog?
    Posted: September 10 2013 at 17:15

Pink Floyd would be the 800 pound gorilla in the room with Dark Side of the Moon being one of the best selling albums of all time, but what I'm looking for is some prog that, in your opinion, deserves some recognition as you feel that it has appeal that the rest of us should know about.

I'll start with Taal. Their second, and, unfortunately, last album, "Skymind", from 2003. Here is the link to the PA page for the album: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2214
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 17:29
There are many accessible prog bands....off the top of my head  the Moody Blues ,Renaissance , Tull, and Kansas come to mind....as well as IQ and other neo prog bands.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 17:29
If I'm thinking in terms of the most friendly albums to the widest variety of tastes, prog or otherwise, I'm going to say Riverside's Shrine of New Generation Slaves and iamthemorning's debut album.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 17:35
Accessibility (the likability of music upon first listen) is subjective. While I can ascertain the specific range of artists you have in mind, I don't happen to find those accessible at all. I often get knocked out of music by slick guitar tones and over-the-top compositions, so finding artists that I like that I think the traditional prog crowd would like that they already don't know about is difficult for me. The artists I would say don't get their fair due and might be most accessible to the members on this site are the less proggy ones like this one right here: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7010

And especially this one: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7916

Edited by Polymorphia - September 10 2013 at 17:35
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 17:46
I might say the band I am listening to at the moment 'Big Big Train'. In that they are not a difficult listen.
Help me I'm falling!
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 19:10
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

There are many accessible prog bands....off the top of my head  the Moody Blues ,Renaissance , Tull, and Kansas come to mind....as well as IQ and other neo prog bands.

Absolutely. The Moody's, Renaissance and Kansas....their albums are very distinctive; not a lot of diverse styles. Tull.....a huge difference between This Was and A Passion Play, yet, Anderson managed to pull it all off quite well over the years.

I haven't heard IQ as of yet but will see about giving them a listen.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 19:19
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

If I'm thinking in terms of the most friendly albums to the widest variety of tastes, prog or otherwise, I'm going to say Riverside's Shrine of New Generation Slaves and iamthemorning's debut album.

I listened to Second Life Syndrome when it first came out and sort of liked it but it's one of those albums that I never got back into. But that's just me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 19:52
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Accessibility (the likability of music upon first listen) is subjective. While I can ascertain the specific range of artists you have in mind, I don't happen to find those accessible at all. I often get knocked out of music by slick guitar tones and over-the-top compositions, so finding artists that I like that I think the traditional prog crowd would like that they already don't know about is difficult for me. The artists I would say don't get their fair due and might be most accessible to the members on this site are the less proggy ones like this one right here: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7010And especially this one: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7916

Your statement that "Accessibility (the likability of music upon first listen) is subjective" was a line I wound up not using in my original post. So, yes, agree with you 100%. I never know what I really like until I hear it no matter who recommends it.

I have to see about Midlake. The other link doesn't seem to work.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 20:11
 Cardiacs' Sing to God
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 20:22
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

I listened to Second Life Syndrome when it first came out and sort of liked it but it's one of those albums that I never got back into. But that's just me.

SLS is an incredible album, definitely one that takes a few listens to digest though. The one I mentioned is vastly different. It's much more of a crossover prog album. I respect that group for their sheer ability to reinvent their sound so easily. The best in my book from them, Anno Domini High Definition, is vastly different from both of these. But it and SLS are definitely not nearly as accessible as SONGS, which is by far the easiest of theirs to jump into and get immediate gratification no matter what background you have.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 22:25
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

I might say the band I am listening to at the moment 'Big Big Train'. In that they are not a difficult listen.

That band seems to crop up in a lot of threads lately. Guess I will have to put an ear to their stuff.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 22:28

SLS is an incredible album, definitely one that takes a few listens to digest though. The one I mentioned is vastly different. It's much more of a crossover prog album. I respect that group for their sheer ability to reinvent their sound so easily. The best in my book from them, Anno Domini High Definition, is vastly different from both of these. But it and SLS are definitely not nearly as accessible as SONGS, which is by far the easiest of theirs to jump into and get immediate gratification no matter what background you have.

Since your avatar, "Red", is one of my all time favorites I will have to go back and give our Eastern European friends another go.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 22:29

Haha I like your reasoning! Smile

Hope you enjoy! I'll definitely be interested to hear what you think! Thumbs Up

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 22:48

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Accessibility (the likability of music upon first listen) is subjective. While I can ascertain the specific range of artists you have in mind, I don't happen to find those accessible at all. I often get knocked out of music by slick guitar tones and over-the-top compositions, so finding artists that I like that I think the traditional prog crowd would like that they already don't know about is difficult for me. The artists I would say don't get their fair due and might be most accessible to the members on this site are the less proggy ones like this one right here: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7010And especially this one: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7916

Your statement that "Accessibility (the likability of music upon first listen) is subjective" was a line I wound up not using in my original post. So, yes, agree with you 100%. I never know what I really like until I hear it no matter who recommends it.

I have to see about Midlake. The other link doesn't seem to work.

The other one is Buke and Gase. Lo-fi, proggy, but with some pretty catchy melodies.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2013 at 23:49
Marillion are very accessible and Kayleigh as single has been a best seller.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 00:07
Beardfish
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 00:14
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Beardfish

Beardfish....? Accessible..?

Wink
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 00:15

Absolutely. The Moody's, Renaissance and Kansas....their albums are very distinctive; not a lot of diverse styles. Tull.....a huge difference between This Was and A Passion Play, yet, Anderson managed to pull it all off quite well over the years.

I haven't heard IQ as of yet but will see about giving them a listen.
I tend to like the more 'accessible' prog bands and I think you would like IQ.
Haquin
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 01:45

I'll start with Taal. Their second, and, unfortunately, last album, "Skymind", from 2003. Here is the link to the PA page for the album: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2214

Incredible album? Damn right! Accessible? Mmmmmm...I don't think so.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2013 at 05:03

Whilst IQ are one of the finest bands ever, they are not really what I would call very accessible. Their music is quite complex and the lyrics can be impenetrable at times.

Marillion, Pendragon, Camel, Mostly Autumn and Renaissance are all truly excellent bands which a newcomer to prog would not find too intimidating. There are many others, but none so fine as these.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>