Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 01:36
Anathema - Weather Systems 
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 10:02
I wonder if todays audience can be considered to have a more sophisticated and broader range of taste than the audience that was first introduced to prog in the late 1960's? Thereby giving todays audience the ability to consider the diverse and esoteric forms of prog more accessible than in the past.

I'm thinking that would be a definite Yes. The way to discover and absorb new music in the old days was through the radio. There was no worldwide internet with dedicated websites and streaming cablecasts with endless discussions on hundreds of albums to widen a persons musical perspective.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 10:07
Yeah there's probably some truth to that, but what most youngins have completely lost in the process, is the vital gift of patience. The mere task of sitting through an entire album without having to skip to something new inside of 5 minutes...

As for the thread:
Pure Reason Revolution. Wins over chicks like a regular Don Juan.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 10:24
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Cardiacs' Sing to God
No way man. Orthrelm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 13:26
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yeah there's probably some truth to that, but what most youngins have completely lost in the process, is the vital gift of patience. The mere task of sitting through an entire album without having to skip to something new inside of 5 minutes...

As for the thread:

That's funny but absolutely true. I had to get up and lift the needle on the record player to the next track. Today it's hit the >| button and one has entirely bypassed side one of Tales from Topographic Oceans.

Pure Reason Revolution....I liked their first two albums immensely, never really got into their third and last one. Their mellow stuff really knocks me out especially "The Exact Colour".
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 13:37
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Cardiacs' Sing to God
No way man. Orthrelm

OV is actually a damned good album, I 'm finding.  Oh wait, that's because I was listening to Brainstorm at the same time (two youtube tabs both playing music which blended in a beautifully complex and quirky way).

Edited by Logan - September 17 2013 at 13:41
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 14:19
Izz......My River Flows

so does the music
ProgEpics View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 16:32
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 16:40
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

As for the thread:

That's funny but absolutely true. I had to get up and lift the needle on the record player to the next track. Today it's hit the >| button and one has entirely bypassed side one of Tales from Topographic Oceans.

Pure Reason Revolution....I liked their first two albums immensely, never really got into their third and last one. Their mellow stuff really knocks me out especially "The Exact Colour".

I'm a cd generation dude, but I'm going backwards and have started purchasing vinyls on a regular basis. Keeps me patient and ready for whatever comes along. Sometimes music needs a little time - or I need a little time. That "little time" very quickly gets annihilated by the skip button.

With Pure Reason Revolution I am somewhat odd in that I prefer their second one, Amor Vincit Omnia. I think it's the best album they put out, and one of the most successful attempts at fusing pop, electronic and prog.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 17 2013 at 16:40
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 19:04

As for the thread:

I'm a cd generation dude, but I'm going backwards and have started purchasing vinyls on a regular basis. Keeps me patient and ready for whatever comes along. Sometimes music needs a little time - or I need a little time. That "little time" very quickly gets annihilated by the skip button.
With Pure Reason Revolution I am somewhat odd in that I prefer their second one, Amor Vincit Omnia. I think it's the best album they put out, and one of the most successful attempts at fusing pop, electronic and prog.

Funny how over the years vinyl has verrrry slooowly been making its way back into the market place. Can I ask if you find it to be superior audio than CD's?

Overall I listen to Amor Vincit Omnia more often than The Dark Third. I agree that AVO is a hugely successful go at fusing pop, electronic and prog. For sure one of the best....which gets me to thinking....what other group has tried to merge pop, electronic and prog???? Radiohead is one.

Well...off on a bit of a tangent here....back on topic at some point.......
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2013 at 23:15

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Cardiacs' Sing to God
No way man. Orthrelm

OV is actually a damned good album, I 'm finding.  Oh wait, that's because I was listening to Brainstorm at the same time (two youtube tabs both playing music which blended in a beautifully complex and quirky way).
Shocked Interesting.

But yeah, OV is a good album, I reckon. I have to be in the mood for minimalistic guitar and drums avant math metal though. Y'know, the really common, everyday stuff. LOL
floflo79 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 06:42
For me, the most accesible prog bands are Supertramp and some neo-prog band like Marillion. Pretty easy to listen.
iamathousandapples View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2013 at 23:51
Coheed & Cambria, a lot of Devin Townsend's work, Pain of Salvation(BE not withstanding), Protest The Hero(if coming from a metal background), The Dear Hunter, a lot of Riverside's later works(and I'd argue Out of Myself as well), Muse, Galahad, and Pure Reason Revolution
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 07:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Anathema - Weather Systems 

Why yes. This is a great example.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 07:39

As for the thread:

No need to get a vinyl collection !
Just pull yourself together, sit back and relax. Take control over your F#¤ miserable life, and then decide to NOT hit that skip button. LOL
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 07:45
I still say the most accessable Prog I've heard is OSI and CHROMA KEY.
It grooves so nicely. Great driving music and everyone that I have shared those 2 Kevin moore projects with people have loved it, especially the girls!!! Yes progheads...chicks dig OSI!!!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123