Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Late bloomers - Best success late in the career?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLate bloomers - Best success late in the career?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 06:42
I've never quite understood why they didn't just call themselves Huge Train or Very Big Train instead of having the same word in there twice...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 07:03
LOL
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 13:52
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Rush - Just got better and better in the 80-90's and even up to mid 00's
Talk Talk - Colour Of Spring is incredible and the next two minimalist releases ( Try see the Montraux gig on YT)
TD IMO peaked with Tangram in 1980
Just cannot see the Big Big Train thang, personal taste I guess
Porcupine Tree anyone- Deadwing, In Absentia and FOABP
I agree about Vangelis in the 90's - El Greco and Voices were incredible but China, Direct, Heaven & Hell, La Fete etc in the 70's....
Oldfield's - Songs From Distant Earth from 94//? Not sure of date
Caravan - Battle of Hastings from the 90's - very underrated ( cringe) album
and as mentioned earllier Pineapple Thief - Someone Here Is Missing 00's- excellent stuff from Bruce S.

El Greco is incredible. My 2nd all time favorite Vangelis composition. :)
First being Bladerunner of course. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 16:21
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Rush has obviously continued a great run of success, but most would argue their best work came early on. So they wouldn't really be late bloomers, just consistent.

Consistent? Not really. After "Signals" they made three albums which did not reach the level of their 1977-1982 output. Herafter the decline proceeded for some time: "Presto" was disappointing and "Roll the Bones" does not even reach the two star level in my book. But it is hard to be consistent for some 38 years and I think they came as close to such an achievement as one might expect.

Grace Under Pressure is a fantastic album. It has a more in-your-face aggressiveness the previous three albums didn't have. Every song is top-shelf Rush, IMO. Power Windows is also an album that rates very highly among Rush fans.

I agree with Presto and Roll The Bones being the valley among the peaks of the band's career. Some songs on those two have a truly "WTF" pallor to them. Very strange, indeed. The worst offenders are songs like "Neurotica," "Anagram (For Mongo)" and "You Bet Your Life."

Counterparts was a return to form, and years later Vapor Trails was a real kick in the pants! Snakes & Arrows was uneven (some killer songs, some drab ones) but the latest album more than made up for it.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 17:32

Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Originally posted by ScorchedFirth ScorchedFirth wrote:

Big Big Train

Yeah, that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.Rush has obviously continued a great run of success, but most would argue their best work came early on. So they wouldn't really be late bloomers, just consistent.

Consistent? Not really. After "Signals" they made three albums which did not reach the level of their 1977-1982 output. Herafter the decline proceeded for some time: "Presto" was disappointing and "Roll the Bones" does not even reach the two star level in my book. But it is hard to be consistent for some 38 years and I think they came as close to such an achievement as one might expect.

I thought Roll The Bones was a strong album, as was Counterparts, Vapor Trails and last but not least Power Windows. Again it is all subjectiveSmile

It surely is. And I see that the two albums I find disappointing are both rated between 3.0 and 3.2, so most listeners have another opinion here.

Good, you saw what I was getting at. Smile

But it is as you say, Rush has been as close to consistent as you can get, which is hard enough itself.

KingBarbarossa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 01:28
Vangelis - bingo! - But: I can understand why Vangelis may not fit into this list for some people. I think he produced some incredible works in his earlier, electronic career. His style changed significantly and now leans much more towards classical and soundtrack scores - a change which I happen to love. It is said that he is working on a new choral symphony. I loved Mythodea and El Greco a lot (The track with Montserrat Caballe incredible - I just wished he had used a real orchestra for that, but still, one of my all-time favs...). I loved Voices a lot as well. I can hardly wait for the new opus...

For this thread however, I would say Vangelis is more like those who got some kind of a second wind in their career as opposed to be a late bloomer in general...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2013 at 01:42
Originally posted by KingBarbarossa KingBarbarossa wrote:

Vangelis - bingo! - But: I can understand why Vangelis may not fit into this list for some people. I think he produced some incredible works in his earlier, electronic career. His style changed significantly and now leans much more towards classical and soundtrack scores - a change which I happen to love. It is said that he is working on a new choral symphony. I loved Mythodea and El Greco a lot (The track with Montserrat Caballe incredible - I just wished he had used a real orchestra for that, but still, one of my all-time favs...). I loved Voices a lot as well. I can hardly wait for the new opus...

For this thread however, I would say Vangelis is more like those who got some kind of a second wind in their career as opposed to be a late bloomer in general...

YEP!
 I think its worth just checking the albums he made 1975-1985
Heaven and Hell
Ignacio
Albedo 0.39
La Fete Sauvage
Spiral
Beauborg
Opera Sauvage
China
See You Later
Chariots of Fire
Blade Runner
Antartica
Soil Festivities
Mask

I probably missed some as that was off the top of my head. I think this represents the most incredible run of albums by any musician in the sphere of electronic music. Yes I am fanboy but the idea of him being be late bloomer is to be honest way off the mark. All those albums were recorded in London (Shepherds Bush) btw.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 11:54
Well, if I can include an individual artist (separate from his many bands), I'd say Roine Stolt is a good example.  He started the Flower Kings at around age 40, and it's undoubtedly been his most successful musical endeavor.  Also by far his best music has been with that band, IMO.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 13:41
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Rush has obviously continued a great run of success, but most would argue their best work came early on. So they wouldn't really be late bloomers, just consistent.

Grace Under Pressure is a fantastic album. It has a more in-your-face aggressiveness the previous three albums didn't have. Every song is top-shelf Rush, IMO. Power Windows is also an album that rates very highly among Rush fans.

I agree with Presto and Roll The Bones being the valley among the peaks of the band's career. Some songs on those two have a truly "WTF" pallor to them. Very strange, indeed. The worst offenders are songs like "Neurotica," "Anagram (For Mongo)" and "You Bet Your Life."

Counterparts was a return to form, and years later Vapor Trails was a real kick in the pants! Snakes & Arrows was uneven (some killer songs, some drab ones) but the latest album more than made up for it.

Roll the Bones is the only Rush album since Fly By Night that I would rate under 4 stars; I always thought it was just a not-as-good version of Presto, even though it's a solid effort overall and has some really good songs.

I think Presto is incredible, though, stuff like Anagram might seem simplistic but the point of that song is really the lyrics anyway. Also, I always felt that songs like Anagram and Hand Over Fist that had rather basic music were really supposed to be vehicles for Geddy to show how he could really carry a song.  Both of the songs would kind of suck without his voice, in my opinion, but I don't mean that as a knock on the songwriting; just that the songs were written in a way that specifically catered to Geddy's style and allowed him to be the driving force behind them.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
martinravn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 09:44
Pink Floyd's peak  was late too. Dark Side Of The Moon were released 15 years after The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, and The Wall 22 years after.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 14:12
Originally posted by martinravn martinravn wrote:

Pink Floyd's peak  was late too. Dark Side Of The Moon were released 15 years after The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, and The Wall 22 years after.

Ermm
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 15:06

Now I know why Dad loved the Floyd so much - they were contemporaries of Elvis and Jerry LeeLOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 20:03

Pink Floyd's peak  was late too. Dark Side Of The Moon were released 15
years after The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, and The Wall 22 years after.

Pink Floyd was more precocious than late bloomers, truth be told. When they released Piper, Rog, Rick and Nick were 15 yrs old while Syd was only 12.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 21:23
I'm sure this won't be a very popular post... hell, even I have to disagree with myself. But Yes's most popular album for the rest of the world (outside our little prog world) was 90125, 14 years after their debut.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 15:22
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm sure this won't be a very popular post... hell, even I have to disagree with myself. But Yes's most popular album for the rest of the world (outside our little prog world) was 90125, 14 years after their debut.

While there is truth in that, they were at least as popular in the 1970's as they were in the 90125 era.  They had a hit song for the first time, is about the only difference.   They were one of the top touring acts in the world in the mid 70's, and I grew up hearing All Good People and Roundabout on the radio daily (mid-70's to mid-80's).
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 06:56
^Interesting argument by Dellinger, of course this means that Genesis didn't start "blooming" until "And then there were three..." and they reached their peak with "Invisible Touch"! I'm sure if we did a national poll "Invisible Touch" would win the best Genesis Record award, but try telling that to the prog world
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 10:14
I've looked over all the posts and unless I'm blind nobody seems to have mentioned Phideaux! Ok they didn't properly get going until 2004 but technically speaking it was a 15 wait before they hit the big time with "Doomsday Afternoon" (due to the 1992 debut "Friction").

Does "Comedy of errors" count? They did form in 1984 and not release anything good until 2011, but that's because they hadn't released anything at all until then...
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 09:26
Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

I've looked over all the posts and unless I'm blind nobody seems to have mentioned Phideaux! Ok they didn't properly get going until 2004 but technically speaking it was a 15 wait before they hit the big time with "Doomsday Afternoon" (due to the 1992 debut "Friction").

Does "Comedy of errors" count? They did form in 1984 and not release anything good until 2011, but that's because they hadn't released anything at all until then...

Comedy Of Errors wouldn't count as late bloomers in my opinion. They had some disbandonment issues and couldn't ink any proper record deals or get signed long term with reasonable fianances. They just never got a fair backing until 2009...thank Christ. :) however, they did put out an EP but I have never heard it. It's never seen the light of day I believe. Anyway. Comedy of Errors rise to glory and power is an unbelievable story. I am so happy for them and I am very happy I discovered them....all thanks to PA of course. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 08:34
I'm going to go with a fairly strict definition of late bloomer here where not only does the band have a really strong period some way into their career, but they also shouldn't have had any brief snatches of comparable success earlier in their career. So, Beatles don't count for me because whilst their earlier albums might not have be artistic masterpieces, they did propel the guys into becoming the biggest pop band in the world, and likewise Pink Floyd don't count because their debut was incredible (though if you see Syd-era and post-Syd Floyd as different bands you might argue that the latter was a late bloomer).

Agree with the nominations of Big Big Train and Galahad so far. I also want to shine a light on Final Conflict, whose earlier albums aren't very well known and aren't especially praised or championed by the select few who do know them, but last year's Return of the Artisan was downright incredible.
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 15:07
Not a prog band, but Swans released their best album 29 years after their debut.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>