Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tribute to "Easy Livin". retired Site Moderator
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTribute to "Easy Livin". retired Site Moderator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 12:09
I have to say that until yesterday I knew not of S Lang or his alter-ego Bora, whatever aggrieves him was afore my time and sod all to do with me or any of the current Admin Team. Whatever it was, given the 6+ year interval between then and now, it is something best forgotten. The Admin team members of those halcyon days have moved on, most of the SCs that lurked in the CZ all those moons ago have also found less mundane things to do in the real world, a few had to be shown the door with slightly more determination and some just faded away. The time for egos and ego-tripping is long since waned, the rest have just grown old or grown up or grown tired of the bickering of a few malcontents who will never be happy regardless of what we do. Pouring salt into old wounds stings, but it's better to grin and bear it than dwell in the past.

Sure, as one of the (then) three remaining Admins, it fell to me to chose between making a public announcement, a private one, or doing nothing when Bob retired. Since he is still with us, albeit on a well earned sabbatical, I decided to let him make the announcement if he so wished, but of course that is not his way - he is a quiet man who does things in his own quiet way - low key and without a fuss, that's our Bob.

Instead I created a Retired Admin Hall of Fame in the CZ for all the past Admins. We made no song-and-dance when Tony, Jody, Guigo, Iain, Alex, John and Angelo stepped down, we didn't make a big announcement when Maani, Peter, Bryan, Martin and Raffella retired and we'll make none now for Bob. If you respect those fine people then show it in whatever way you think fit, but somehow, making snide comments and picking fights isn't a fitting tribute to anyone.

I'll close this post by copying what I posted in the CZ for all to see:
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Retired Admin Hall Of Fame

Ian, (Maani)

Peter
Bryan
Martin, (Trotsky)
Bob, (Easy Livin)

Tony R
Jody, (TheProgtologist)
Guigo, (Atkingani)
Raff, (Ghost Rider)

Angelo
Alex, (harmonium.ro)
John, Easy Money

Iain, (Exitthelemming)

I wanted to commemorate Bob's retirement in someway but didn't want to usurp any public announcement he may want to make, so I thought this thread could serve as a way of commemorating all the past Admins. I considered putting a small comment for each but unfortunately I don't know Bryan or Trotsky and have only had limited contact with Maani and Peter so decided against the idea. If people want to post their thoughts and comments on each then I think its a good idea.

It would be unfair of me to single-out any from the list, but that's not going to stop me:

The whole of the 2nd row are the Admins who (IMO) made the biggest impact - the PA and forum we have today is directly down to them - M@X and Rony created the framework and it was the leadership of the early Admins that put flesh on that framework but it was the policies, procedures and guidelines, the subgenres, teams and definitions of Bob, Tony, Guigo, Jody and Jim (who's still an Admin so not listed obviously) who brought it to life. They are also the five that made the Admins into a Team, it was a privilege to be asked to join them and an education working with them. For a bunch of ageing old men, (and I mean that in the nicest possible way Tongue), their knowledge, appreciation and passion for Progressive Rock in all its forms and all its eras is unequalled and unsurpassed. Seriously.

And I am going to further single-out Bob Macbeth, sorry, McBeath, not for his Admin skills (which are formidable - he produced so much of the policy around here it's too long to list), or for being the father-figure of the team and its de facto leader (though we never conferred that on him, or referred to him as such, nor did we ever defer to him, or do anything he suggested asked LOL), but for his reviews. I love Bob's reviews, the way they are written, how he conveys the music and his impressions of it, and for the controlled use of language he employs - you just know he listened, thought, listened again, understood and then thought some more before committing word to page - like a breath of fresh air that blows the dust of the platter prior to the stylus touching down gently on the groove - and then the music starts. Quality, depth and quantity - no one comes close - I'll take a handful of McBeath reviews over a truckload of 150 word first impressions or a bucketful of track-by-track chronologies any day of the week.

Thank you Bob. Clap

Edited by Dean - September 22 2013 at 12:40
What?
BORA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 13:54
Still smarting from observing how things can come to life and take over.
My original (unedited) post is there for all to see.

I have little more to add, but in fairness to Finnforest, I confirm that he was NOT the abusive Collab.

Over and out. 
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 14:09

Retired Admin Hall Of Fame

Ian, (Maani)

Peter
Bryan
Martin, (Trotsky)
Bob, (Easy Livin)

Tony R
Jody, (TheProgtologist)
Guigo, (Atkingani)
Raff, (Ghost Rider)

Angelo
Alex, (harmonium.ro)
John, Easy Money

Iain, (Exitthelemming)

Wrong avy for harmonium.ro, Dean. That was andu. Coincidentally also a Romanian...
And I don't remember Raff having such pic as an avatar either. Doesn't suit her at all (must be just your joke, is it?)...

Edited by Tuzvihar - September 22 2013 at 14:11
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 14:22
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Wrong avy for harmonium.ro, Dean. That was andu. Coincidentally also a Romanian...
And I don't remember Raff having such pic as an avatar either. Doesn't suit her at all (must be just your joke, is it?)...
Embarrassed The alex/andu avy was an in-joke, I guess I should have changed it when I posted outside the CZ - unfortunately both Alex and Raff have deleted their avatars and since Alex always used private photographs of himself I could not find a suitable replacement. But since the "cat is out of the bag" I can tell you that Henry Plainview is Ghandi2, 1967/ 1976 is Mandy, Knobby is Wallace and Bora is S Lang.

But rest-assured that image was one Raff, (then known as Ghost Rider) used back in 2007, whether it is appropriate or not it was an avy she used - I could have picked the BÖC "Fire of Unknown Origin" cover she used in later years, but didn't.
What?
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 18:10
^ As for Alex's avatar, this funky one looks impressive for me.

LOL
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2013 at 13:13
Recently i have been in other things (less mundane things) and every now and then i stepped to see the forum.

fortunately i have much disscussion in the past (six, seven years ago with most of the retired members of  this great site.

well i hope in the future have some reviews but i prefer to listen prog that actually write on it.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 10:35
In a matter of days my name will be added to this list. 

I have decided that due to changing circumstances in my professional life I will not be able to maintain an Admin/Moderator role in the PA in 2014. I'll still be here 19/7 posting irrelevant and irreverent comments and opinions on every conceivable subject, hijacking threads (such as this one) for my own nefarious ends, just not in an official capacity. This is my swan song, the big song-and-dance finale, on the day I'll simply change my status and quietly resume posting as if nothing has happened. 

Angelo and I were promoted to the ranks of Admin in January 2008 and it seems neat and tidy that my tenure should come to an end as a whole number of  years, though that was never a plan as such. It's been fun (mostly) and I know that Jim, Andy, Keishiro and David can drive this Prog ship without my continued assistance and interference - they are a great team and the PA is in good hands. I'll miss the AZ and the fun we had there, but I'll miss none of the Admin tasks such as disciplining people, moderating threads, banning trolls, deleting spam and tidying up after ratings abusers and hackers.

In my first post in the AZ I stated: I'm working with the "if in doubt - ask" method rather than blundering about like a stoned Muppet wildly pressing buttons to see what happens. Alas that methodology didn't last, two years later when I attempted to delete a post in the Porcupine Tree Appreciation thread I watched in horror as the entire thread vanished into the aether, never to be seen again. Ouch That was not the only appearance of the 'blundering stoned Muppet' persona on this board but it's the only one I'll admit to in public. Wink

So, this is not goodbye, adieu, au revoir or even so long and thanks for the fish, but simply thanks for putting up with me as an Admin for the past six years, now I fully intend to grow old disgracefully. Evil Smile

What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 11:29
Dean, I said my mushy sentimental stuff in the CZ thread, so you know my feelings.  But I'll just quickly say again that the site owes you a great gratitude for the many hours you have dedicated to its well being.  You will be missed in that capacity.  Thank you.

Clap

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 11:50
^ Seconded! See you around PA Dean. Thanks for managing the site so well these last years.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 11:52
Great job Dean, thanks for your service.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 11:37
I am not able to post a new topic in the internal news so perhaps a collab could start one for Dean's retirement so that the general members can post their thanks to a job well done by Dean. His service deserves way more recognition than to be tacked on to a controversial thread which turned into petty bickering over a "supposed" class structure here at PA. Hopefully the thread would reflect Dean's fine service.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 12:12
Thank you Dean!!  
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 14:52
You are GREAT, my dear friend Dean.

Thanks for everything!!! StarStarStarStarStar (5 deserved stars)
Guigo

~~~~~~
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 15:33
ClapClapBowdownClapClap
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 16:21
Best Admin here since my inclusion on this forum. You brought a lot of real personality and dedication here, thank you.

Thumbs Up
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 18:53
Thanks for everything you've done for the site, Dean, including teaching me what time signatures are.

Glad to hear you're sticking around. Wish you all the best.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 20:34
time sigs are very important and should not be ovrlooked 
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 04:22
As a long time lurker I've always been impressed with how Easy Livin and Dean have kept the site going and the hard work they put in. So good luck to the both of you in whatever you are doing and thank you!

So like that recent Christmas Dr Who episode (minus the death and regeneration part) who is our newest "Admin/Moderator"???(there is probably a page somewhere on the site that tells you but I want to build up some suspense!)   
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 23:12
Cheers for all fantastic ex-Admins and for efforts by'em! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234