Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich prog artists and philosophers match?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 14:21
I've only got a superficial familiarity with Ayn Rand's thinking. I find her interesting as a historical personality, though. The one opinion I can say I have for certain about her thought is that she's got a decidedly odd reading of most of the major German Idealists. Her political philosophy might be simplistic to the point of extreme impracticality, but she's neither a first nor a last in that department...

I kind of wish that Max Stirner rather than Ayn Rand was the public face of ethical egoism. Anyone know if he's inspired any prog artists?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 12:29
I've found that lost Flower Travellin' Band review I mentioned earlier in the thread! (it's the one by "Abominatrix") Since the band has been re-admitted unto M-A recently, the author has informed me that he's working on an updated version.

EDIT: The review lives again!

Edited by Toaster Mantis - November 19 2013 at 13:15
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 13:46
Hi,

I will agree with Dean, in a sort of silly way, that we hope to talk about "real" philosophers.

There are way too many "neo-philosophers" and then you get the "pseudo-philosophers" that tend to bake and cook the national media to their benefit, which includes all the women, the cars and the affection, and what not, and we think their words are gold, specially if one rock band had nothing better to do than talk and sing about it. Oh, we forgot the "quasifake-intelectuals", that know everything and like to stand up for their conservative rights and that abortion and you are totally wrong!

Again, for my tastes, because I mention Billy the Buddha does not mean that I support him, or think he is my own Guru! It's just my favorite joke spot for now!

And for way too many bands, it's just another song! And NOT worth the discussion! If Jesus of Nazareth (or the Church, not sure which yet, Pete and Dudley didn't get the proper interview!) had spoken as vainly as most of those bands, no one would ever consider his thoughts or ideas!

WAKE UP

Edited by moshkito - November 18 2013 at 13:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12