Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedproposal for artist videos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: proposal for artist videos
    Posted: September 24 2013 at 23:58

www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38565
Now that we do not have video feature anymore here at PA, please consider and give feedback to my suggestion trying to reach solution, which would allow again the blessings of myriad progressive rock film sensations on this site. Smile

If it is impossible to add videos anymore to the artist pages, and this functionality won't be fixed, would it be plausable to create film threads with the band name to "Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation" zone.

As an example "Judy Dyble films", then adding there some "informative" text and embedding the films to posts:

This "Judy Dyble films" topic should be visible at "forum topics" section:

I'm not confident that my initiatives should gain any enthusiasm nor be welcomed as good proposals - a long time experience not bothering my own ego.
However thinking with kind understanding but also wearing the troubling coat of realism; If there are no resources of fixing the video embed functionality, I think there won't be possibilites of creating own post-zone for such films, if the idea should otherwise be seen as worth developing.
Adding such film posts to the suggested post zone could put a strain on other topics there.

Have a great day.

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 10:18
I guess there is a resource to fix the video embedding and his name is M@X.

But it seems nobody cares.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 11:16
My intention was to encourage searching other ways for video enjoyments related to artists included to the database, without relying to the site programmer's interference.

Threads would also allow direct discussion about the films, and be linked to the artist pages - at least in cases where the band names differ from general forum topics.

I hoped my initiative would have been recognized as an act of care towards the subject, without demands towards other parties who should do the job.

If the old system stays intact, I believe during the following years lame unofficial youtube linkings with album cover & music will be deleted, and few official clips from the artist sources would remain.

Wishing all good to You all and hoping for patience and gratitude for what exists.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 16:39
Relying on content delivered from outside the PA is never a good idea. YouTube and their users will delete videos beyond our control no matter where we put them, either on the Artist page or burried in the Forum, and we will have to mend or delete the broken links either way. Personally, I would rather they were not here at allm but they are. Creating thousands of threads for all the artists that have videos seems like a messy way of fixing a problem to me (in Britain we call that 'a bodge').

I suspect the reason videos are causing problems is because of something Google/YouTube has done and not because of something M@X hasn't done. Whatever it is, none of the active Admins can do anything WHETHER WE SEEM TO CARE OR NOT!
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 23:13
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Relying on content delivered from outside the PA is never a good idea.

Maybe the most integrity would be reached by agreeing with the artists / labels uploading their official films like the mp3 streams currently

YouTube and their users will delete videos beyond our control no matter where we put them, either on the Artist page or burried in the Forum, and we will have to mend or delete the broken links either way.
Personally, I would rather they were not here at allm but they are. Creating thousands of threads for all the artists that have videos seems like a messy way of fixing a problem to me (in Britain we call that 'a bodge').

I recall you also mentioned in some way the observation of internet & digital content being just "a whisper in the wind", disappearing and getting corrupted so quickly like fragile cherry petals.
M@x's reactions to the server issues prove he is reacting to this site issues, within his list of priorities.
If the film system fixing should not reach state of fixing on his list, I accept this.

I thank you for the direct and concerete feedback to the original post (rare experience for me in the web).

Also I think the videos are enjoyed allready in threads like "Krautrock/space" etc., but the search engines do not find the band names there to the artist pages.

I suspect the reason videos are causing problems is because of something Google/YouTube has done and not because of something M@X hasn't done.

From my own experience about computer architecture solutions relying on more than one software/computer, the constant updates of different programs and alterations of configurations on workstations/servers etc. create the usual state of chaos, where some function never works correctly. The corporation IT departments seem to be caught in constant "firefight" to most vital faults on their workfield, leaving the wholeness being never 100% functional. I still would not blame them, but the financial realities guiding the decision makers to no allocate enough money for reaching state, where operations would be fully consolidated, and instead of being stuck to wandering in a marsh, they could measure the initiative of actions around them through reliable enviroment.

Whatever it is, none of the active Admins can do anything WHETHER WE SEEM TO CARE OR NOT!
I feel sad if you and others admins feel this post being heating up towards you. Unhappy It was not my intention, but just to toss around some ideas for finding any resolutions or further discussion to the film issue, meaning maybe something to somebody, and not to cause harm to anybody.

I think it might be better to avoid this subject in the future, and appologize for taking this issue on discussion.

Kindly Yours.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 04:20
Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

Whatever it is, none of the active Admins can do anything WHETHER WE SEEM TO CARE OR NOT!
I feel sad if you and others admins feel this post being heating up towards you. Unhappy It was not my intention, but just to toss around some ideas for finding any resolutions or further discussion to the film issue, meaning maybe something to somebody, and not to cause harm to anybody.

I think it might be better to avoid this subject in the future, and appologize for taking this issue on discussion.

Kindly Yours.
Sorry Eetu, that was not aimed at you, but at Eugene:

Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I guess there is a resource to fix the video embedding and his name is M@X.

But it seems nobody cares.

Generalisations annoy me.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 15:37
^ The function does not work at least 6 months or so.
Perhaps somebody cares, but who knows it? 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 16:46
Sometimes it's better when you don't say anything at all.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 16:51
OK, especially because my words will change nothing.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 16:52

Sometimes it's better when you don't say anything at all.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 12:33
Max has fixed the Add Video feature so everything is back to normal.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 13:33
Works now. Many thanks! Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 01:04
Thank you so much M@x! Party
 Post Reply Post Reply