Topic ClosedBanks & Rutherford Interview

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banks & Rutherford Interview
    Posted: September 25 2013 at 13:45
Hi all,

I just stumbled on this fairly short interview with Banks & Rutherford on the Uncut UK website.  They talk a bit of history from their school days up to The Lamb.

I found it interesting as they discussed their early influences, Procol Harum, Family, Fairport Convention, and the 1st King Crimson album.  The best part was this comment from Mike Rutherford LOL

MR: A few years ago, I took my sons to the Albert Hall to see (Genesis tribute act) The Musical Box. They were doing “Selling England By The Pound”, with the set and everything. My son turned to me and said: “Dad, you guys were weird.”

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 14:06
Very nice, thanks!
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 14:17
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

MR: A few years ago, I took my sons to the Albert Hall to see (Genesis tribute act) The Musical Box. They were doing “Selling England By The Pound”, with the set and everything. My son turned to me and said: “Dad, you guys were weird.”

LOL great find! How could Tony Stratton Smith be disappointed with Nursery Cryme?Shocked  I also like how Tony had to clarify they started writing Trespass BEFORE In the Court came out
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 08:47
after seeing Genesis Revisited last night--the music is powerful and timeless---but the costumes and staging back in the day was weird.Wink 
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 14:36
Weird for sure.......but completely awesome nonetheless.  It's a shame that people are too jaded to appreciate just how radical and interesting that was back then (I wasn't there, but that's how it struck me when I first became aware of the "good" Genesis, as I thought of the prog years when I first heard those albums). 
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 17:02
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Weird for sure.......but completely awesome nonetheless.  It's a shame that people are too jaded to appreciate just how radical and interesting that was back then (I wasn't there, but that's how it struck me when I first became aware of the "good" Genesis, as I thought of the prog years when I first heard those albums). 

us 80s kids had that weird discover that gabriel and genesis were actually cool the decade before.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 17:13
Great interview.....wonder if it was taped on video? Anyhow for me there is not much better on my turntable than a Genesis album.
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 13:46
Not surprising to hear of the ignorance as a classic rock stating doing a history of prog show, felt it was perfect to play tunes from Queen and their Flash Gordon sound track, Genesis' Mama and the Beatles at the end of the show.

Real knowledge of prog shown there
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 14:25
Hi,

Gotta love it ... "dad, you guys were weird!" ...

There you have it Dean ... an epitath for the whole time and place!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 19:17
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I was always bummed that I didn't start going to concerts until '76 so never got to see "The Lamb"...my 1st Genesis show was the W&W tour '77.  Among my circle of prog fans, the PG fronted theatrical Genesis shows were always spoken of in hushed, reverential tones...we all considered them (along with the Tales and Passion Play tours) as the ultimate live prog experience Wink

I'm still pissed that nobody at Charisma or Atlantic records ever thought to videotape a complete performance of The Lamb Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply