Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMost inaccessible Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most inaccessible Prog?
    Posted: September 27 2013 at 10:13
What Prog do you find the hardest, or, impossible to like?

I enjoy subtlety, unusual time signatures, some complexity and strong melodies. So.....I really have no ears at all for Progessive Metal, Industrial and the like. Bombast doesn't appeal to me at all. Growling vocals tend to make me laugh or cringe, depending on what mood I'm in at the time.

Also, can't appreciate certain elements of the unstructured/all improvised/free jazz prog scene. Now, Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" album is, to my ears, inspired work. The Dave Holland Quintet's "Extended Play: Live at Birdland" isn't; just noise and chaos.

Bands I enjoy the most are Weather Report, Yes, Genesis, Big Big Train, early to mid period Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, certain Art Zoyd tracks, certain Sieges Even tracks,  the double live Bill Bruford's Earthworks album "Footloose and Fancy Free",  certain Birds and Buildings tracks, iamthe morning, Mahavishnu Orchestra, King Crimson, Neal Morse's "?", Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Philp Glass' "Low Symphony", David Bowie, Portugal. The Man, Pure Reason Revolution, Tull, Sia, Steely Dan, Super Furry Animals, TV on the Radio, Underworld and The XX.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 10:17
The sort of cheesy prog that can occasionally sound like Christian rock. 
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 10:31
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

If you mean groups like Kansas than I totally agree. Ever since I first heard them I thought they were a poor man's version of Yes. And, God help me for saying this on PA, but I feel the same way about Rush. Could never appreciate their musical substance, or, in my ears case, lack of it.
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 10:31
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

Neo-prog without a doubt
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 10:55
I think their are certain progressive sounds that do take some tolerance or getting used to, to fully appreciate what you are hearing.

My number 1 vote goes to Zheul Prog. MAGMA is a band that takes some getting used to.

Another. Post Rock/new math.....I think a band like ULVER would not be very accessible sounding for most.

Some Pyche/electronic Prog like Ozric Tentacles would really be way per the heads for a lot of people.

Also, Tech Extream. You basically have to be a person with a serious edge to appreciate and find this style of music accessible for you. I for one love it. I've even fallen asleep listening to some Meshuggha. Lol

But, to be clear on the true sense of the word 'accessible' I think at least 80% of Prog rock genres are not accessible or radio friendly in any way.....that's the beauty of Prog for me ! :)   
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 11:09
Zheul, Post Rock/new Math, RIO and Gentle Giant(lol) are the hardest for me to get into. I also can't get into Krautrock at all.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 11:13
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I think their are certain progressive sounds that do take some tolerance or getting used to, to fully appreciate what you are hearing.

My number 1 vote goes to Zheul Prog. MAGMA is a band that takes some getting used to.

Another. Post Rock/new math.....I think a band like ULVER would not be very accessible sounding for most.

Some Pyche/electronic Prog like Ozric Tentacles would really be way per the heads for a lot of people.

Also, Tech Extream. You basically have to be a person with a serious edge to appreciate and find this style of music accessible for you. I for one love it. I've even fallen asleep listening to some Meshuggha. Lol

But, to be clear on the true sense of the word 'accessible' I think at least 80% of Prog rock genres are not accessible or radio friendly in any way.....that's the beauty of Prog for me ! :)   

I agree with you on all these except the Ozrics. Magma are so pretentious; inventing their own language is the ultimate in being utterly ridiculous for me and their music is awful, though I concede that they are excellent musicians.

I also find The Mars Volta impossible to access.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 11:33
For me, it is very difficult to tolerate ultra-complex bands without any melody, like Psyopus: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3010

Edited by tupan - September 27 2013 at 11:33
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 11:49
Gentle Giant
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:15

If you mean groups like Kansas than I totally agree. Ever since I first heard them I thought they were a poor man's version of Yes. And, God help me for saying this on PA, but I feel the same way about Rush. Could never appreciate their musical substance, or, in my ears case, lack of it.
I actually love Kansas, even though they've got the cheese. I was thinking of more modern neo-ish type groups with the super-pristine production and often indistinguishable, characterless vocal style. Problem is I can't recall any names at the moment. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:19
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

It took me a few months and a few dozen tries at listening to Genesis' "Supper's Ready" before the light went on in my head and I got it.

Quote My number 1 vote goes to Zheul Prog. MAGMA is a band that takes some getting used to.

I never could listen to Magma.

Quote Another. Post Rock/new math.....I think a band like ULVER would not be very accessible sounding for most.

Post Rock/New Math/Math Rock....Crimson's take on it was, imo, uninspired and heavy without any substance other than to waste time, for the most part. Certain bits were OK but overall not worth listening to more than a few times as I found it lacking any attachment to my musical appetite. I always felt the hard part about Math Rock was getting emotion into what is essentially a cold, cerebral act of music. 

Quote Some Pyche/electronic Prog like Ozric Tentacles would really be way per the heads for a lot of people.

I haven't listened to Ozric Tentacles in a few years....never felt the need to hear them more them a few times. 

Quote Also, Tech Extream. You basically have to be a person with a serious edge to appreciate and find this style of music accessible for you. I for one love it. I've even fallen asleep listening to some Meshuggha. Lol

Amazing isn't it? That's what makes the world go 'round. We all have our favorites.

Quote But, to be clear on the true sense of the word 'accessible' I think at least 80% of Prog rock genres are not accessible or radio friendly in any way.....that's the beauty of Prog for me ! :)   

100% agree Thumbs Up

Edited by schizoidman - September 27 2013 at 12:20
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:20
Originally posted by tupan tupan wrote:

For me, it is very difficult to tolerate ultra-complex bands without any melody, like Psyopus: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3010
With me, the deal is if it's gonna be batsh*t crazy complex stuff, there needs to be the appealing aesthetic factor. I listened to Psyopus once, didn't do anything for me. There are better tech metal groups out there. 
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:22
What's this "New Math"? LOL
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:26
Is this really "most inaccessible" or "music I hate"?
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:29
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

"Music I hate" it is then!
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:35
I don't like it if I cannot distinguish the music from random noise, which excludes a lot or Rio/Zeuhl bands as well as Post/Math Rock bands. At the same time, there are some artists in those categories I enjoy and admire such as Zappa (I cannot stand We're Only In It For The Money though for the above reason), The Residents, and Tortoise.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:50
where everyone doesnt know who they are
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 13:05
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

With "inaccessible" I was trying to imply that one has listened to something but found it not to their liking, so...."hate" works....much stronger word, but, ultimetly, the end result is something one doesn't like.

Beer
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 13:17
All this ends up being is ignorant ranting about a genre that is generalized. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 13:21

What's this "New Math"? LOL

Modern math rock i should say. I mean it has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years, but altogether a fairly new genre compared to most. Sorry. I know you know what I mean, but I should have been a bit more clear on taut description. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>