Topic ClosedMost inaccessible Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 13:24
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I think their are certain progressive sounds that do take some tolerance or getting used to, to fully appreciate what you are hearing.

My number 1 vote goes to Zheul Prog. MAGMA is a band that takes some getting used to.

Another. Post Rock/new math.....I think a band like ULVER would not be very accessible sounding for most.

Some Pyche/electronic Prog like Ozric Tentacles would really be way per the heads for a lot of people.

Also, Tech Extream. You basically have to be a person with a serious edge to appreciate and find this style of music accessible for you. I for one love it. I've even fallen asleep listening to some Meshuggha. Lol

But, to be clear on the true sense of the word 'accessible' I think at least 80% of Prog rock genres are not accessible or radio friendly in any way.....that's the beauty of Prog for me ! :)   

I agree with you on all these except the Ozrics. Magma are so pretentious; inventing their own language is the ultimate in being utterly ridiculous for me and their music is awful, though I concede that they are excellent musicians.
I also find The Mars Volta impossible to access.

Ummm maybe if we got most people hooked to some nifty psychedelics people would definitely blend with the Ozrics. :)
Now that's accessible and fun!!! State of mind is everything to appreciate what you are hearing. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 13:26
There isn't a New Math scene. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 13:39
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Originally posted by tupan tupan wrote:

For me, it is very difficult to tolerate ultra-complex bands without any melody, like Psyopus: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3010
With me, the deal is if it's gonna be batsh*t crazy complex stuff, there needs to be the appealing aesthetic factor. I listened to Psyopus once, didn't do anything for me. There are better tech metal groups out there. 

I always felt the hard part about Math Rock was getting emotion into what is essentially a cold, cerebral act of music requiring more concentration than emotion to perform. 
I mean....Great Math Rock should connect to a person on an emotional realm as well as a cerebral one.

Maybe this has something to do with the theory that some of us are right (emotional) brain oriented and some of us are left (logic) brain oriented.

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 13:54
I promise there is emotional Math-Rock. It's just the PR/MR charts are unreliable. 

Look up the band Pretend, and their album - Bones in the Soil, Rust in the Oil. Hope you enjoy. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 13:59
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

All this ends up being is ignorant ranting about a genre that is generalized. 

I see your point but, if, a person has listened to music and doesn't like it they can't be labeled as ignorant due to the fact that their ears don't like the same thing as someone else's ears.

For someone to dismiss a certain genre outright without giving any ear time is, indeed, quite ignorant.

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 14:04
My only issue was with the word inaccessible.  The implication is music that by some objective measure is difficult for people to appreciate, but then in the third post Kansas was mentioned.  Their popularity alone should indicate that they probably were quite accessible; that certain individuals don't like them or don't get them won't change that.

You've already clarified what you meant, however, so my quibble is already moot.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 14:07

I promise there is emotional Math-Rock. It's just the PR/MR charts are unreliable. 

Look up the band Pretend, and their album - Bones in the Soil, Rust in the Oil. Hope you enjoy. 

Thanks. I will give that album an ear and post later in this thread.

By the way, I see you have Russian Circles as your sig. I listened to "Enter" back in 2007 or so and found it to be quite good. Never went back to it though. But that's just me.......
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 14:10

I think their are certain progressive sounds that do take some tolerance or getting used to, to fully appreciate what you are hearing.

My number 1 vote goes to Zheul Prog. MAGMA is a band that takes some getting used to.

Another. Post Rock/new math.....I think a band like ULVER would not be very accessible sounding for most.

Some Pyche/electronic Prog like Ozric Tentacles would really be way per the heads for a lot of people.

Also, Tech Extream. You basically have to be a person with a serious edge to appreciate and find this style of music accessible for you. I for one love it. I've even fallen asleep listening to some Meshuggha. Lol

But, to be clear on the true sense of the word 'accessible' I think at least 80% of Prog rock genres are not accessible or radio friendly in any way.....that's the beauty of Prog for me ! :)   

I agree with you on all these except the Ozrics. Magma are so pretentious; inventing their own language is the ultimate in being utterly ridiculous for me and their music is awful, though I concede that they are excellent musicians.

Ummm maybe if we got most people hooked to some nifty psychedelics people would definitely blend with the Ozrics. :)
Now that's accessible and fun!!! State of mind is everything to appreciate what you are hearing. :)

I can assure you that, despite liking the Ozrics, I have never taken any illicit substances and certainly not any psycho-active ones! They are perfectly accessible without.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 14:24

I can assure you that, despite liking the Ozrics, I have never taken any illicit substances and certainly not any psycho-active ones! They are perfectly accessible without.
I have taken them instead, when I was younger, and Ozrics wouldn't be a band for these moments. Syd Barrett and his fairytales was the best fit.

Regardless this "outing", I have taken a lot of time to really appreciate Magma but now I'm a zeuhl fan. I have bought TD's Zeit in the 70s and I have started loving TD in the 80s. Now that's one of my top ten albums. All you need to appreciate all the genres is a bit of open mind, and the right attitude while listening. Then you can even not like a thing, it's human, but never put a stone over something. I have rediscovered a lot of things just going back after years. Sooner or later I may be able to like Genesis, who knows?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 14:29
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

My only issue was with the word inaccessible.  The implication is music that by some objective measure is difficult for people to appreciate, but then in the third post Kansas was mentioned.  Their popularity alone should indicate that they probably were quite accessible; that certain individuals don't like them or don't get them won't change that.

You've already clarified what you meant, however, so my quibble is already moot.

It is truly an art form to communicate one's intentions, meanings and so on in internet forums. I have found the members of PA to be some of the more patient, articulate and like-thinking minds, so, I enjoy this place very much.

Kansas, while being popular, are, to my ears, inaccessible, due to the lack of any emotional attachment on my part with their music. I hate to keep knocking them because I respect that others do find them uplifting and get that certain thing from them that they don't from other groups. I respect their value to others though they have none with me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 14:39
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

All you need to appreciate all the genres is a bit of open mind, and the right attitude while listening. Then you can even not like a thing, it's human, but never put a stone over something. I have rediscovered a lot of things just going back after years. Sooner or later I may be able to like Genesis, who knows?

It would be a much, much, much, much better world if more people would, or could, have that outlook.

Clap
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 14:49
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

Thanks. I will give that album an ear and post later in this thread.

By the way, I see you have Russian Circles as your sig. I listened to "Enter" back in 2007 or so and found it to be quite good. Never went back to it though. But that's just me.......

Thanks.

They're a band that doesn't stick to being strictly cerebral.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 15:17
Inaccessible (but great imo): Demetrio Stratos 

Accessible (not so great imo): Flower Kings

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 15:24
I pretty much have at least one or more fave bands in each PA prog subgenre except "Experimental Post-Metal" & "Progressive Metal" where I've never heard anything that I liked.  Also, I can tolerate "Crossover Prog"  though it's only a short step above classic rock for me.  Oh, and I've never heard any band in the "Indo-Prog/Raga Rock" category.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 15:28
Have you heard sieges even?^
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 15:29
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I pretty much have at least one or more fave bands in each PA prog subgenre except "Experimental Post-Metal" & "Progressive Metal" where I've never heard anything that I liked.  Also, I can tolerate "Crossover Prog"  though it's only a short step above classic rock for me.  Oh, and I've never heard any band in the "Indo-Prog/Raga Rock" category.

Mjello monsieur Crimson KingSmile

With your affinity for the French scene, I would've thought you knew of Andre Fertier's Clivage?Shocked Listed here under the very same moniker, this act flows freely between psych, fusion, zeuhl, Indian inspired music, symphonic and something akin to the kind of funk you hear in Blaxpoitation movies. I love this thing!
Here's a tune from their masterpiece Mixtus Orbis:

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 15:37
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Uhm.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 15:39
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Agree. I've never heard Demetrio Stratos before but enjoyed this little tidbit. But I guess it'll become too much in the long run. Smile

I also agree about TFK, I've never understood the appreciation for this band. They sound like mainstream Swedish pop to my ears. You know, Tomas Ledin, Lena Philipson and the likes, although with a somewhat more elaborate production. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 15:49
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Agree. I've never heard Demetrio Stratos before but enjoyed this little tidbit. But I guess it'll become too much in the long run. Smile

I also agree about TFK, I've never understood the appreciation for this band. They sound like mainstream Swedish pop to my ears. You know, Tomas Ledin, Lena Philipson and the likes, although with a somewhat more elaborate production. 

The Stratos album is entirely made up of sounds emanating from this man's incredibly versatile vocal chords (may he rest in peace). It is a hard listen, I'll admit to that, and it took me a while to get into - and it's not one I can just pop on at every given moment. Really need something of warm up for thatLOL

I get what you're saying about TFK, but then again I'm glad that they have the following they've got. Roine seems like a very nice chap - even if I don't exactly enjoy his music, and something tells me that I'm part of the minority vote on that one. To each his/her own I guessSmile

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 16:01
Hey, i didn't know Stratos had a solo album!
I must seek it out. I like making weird noises with my voice too, maybe I can pick up a few more tricks.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>