Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbie looking for friends and a bit of help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie looking for friends and a bit of help!
    Posted: September 30 2013 at 12:26
Hi there! I'm LakeGlade12 (real name Andrew) and I joined the site yesterday :-)

I got into prog when I stumbled across the prog rock epic that is "Supper's Ready" from Genesis at the tender age of 14. It changed me from someone who was meh about music in general into a real music lover! 8/9 years later I have exploring many different types of prog and my CD collection is growing slowly (I'm still a student!) but steadily. Currently my top 3 bands/artists are Genesis, Yes and Porcupine Tree. But there is SO much great music for me to discover so this list is not set in stone.

Today I tried to write my first ever review (which was Genesis's Foxtrot as a tribute to "Supper's Ready"), which I posted at 12:00 (UK time).Its now 18:15 and I can't see my review on the site. I followed the guidelines so the review should be ok. How long does it take for a review to appear? I found a forum where you can ask questions, but I wasn't given permission to ask anything           

Is there anyone who can give a newbie a helping hand? I would be very grateful and they would be a real star
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 14:12

Welcome to PA Handshake! I tried to find your review of Foxtrot, but I can only see a rating only on this page (the 4th from the bottom).

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 14:31
Welcome AndrewParty

Sorry to see your review problems, but I'm guessing that you may have rated it before reviewing it? If so, then that may have something to do with it. Not entirely sure though, but it could be that the site doesn't allow you to "review" albums twice, and that first rating of yours probably counts as one - even if they're not at all the same. If you plan to write some more reviews, then be sure to pick one that you haven't rated beforehandWink
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 01:40
Hi,

Yeah I did rate that album before I sent the review, so that probably explains it. I'll send the review again later on when I have time. Thanks for the help!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:43
I've retyped my review and its now viewable on the Genesis home page and Foxtrot page, Yay!     

I had to change my rating into a review (thanks for the link someone_else!) and this seems to have stopped the review appearing on the home page or the Symphonic Prog page. When I joined the site the first thing I did was go on a rating frenzy and I rated almost every album I own! All well, I'm not a attention seeker so it doesn't matter if my review is not on the main pages. As long as they are viewable to anyone who is interested then I'm happy!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:56
^ I made the same (bad) choice of rating heaps of albums before reviewing. Welcome! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 12:01
Cheers! It doesn't matter really, in fact it means my reviews will initially not get a lot of judgement from other members, which is probably a good thing for a newbie like me.     
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 12:11
Hey there Andrew! I really like your optimism and positivity, just what we need more of!

The same thing happened when I `voted' first for the album by Italian Canterbury-styled band Moogg before writing a review for it! I only made that mistake once!

Good luck with reviewing, and I'm sure you'll be a regular on the front page very quickly!   

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - October 01 2013 at 12:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 12:30
Thank you, that's my master plan. I just have to clear a backlog that is now a good 50 albums lol! At least when I do start showing up on the front page I'll have some experience!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 12:37
From what I understand, as long as you haven't voted for the album before you review it, the review will default to the front page right away! I think if memory serves me, the front page holds the 10 latest reviews, which slowly get pushed down the ladder as more reviews roll in!
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 23:11
I'm so bad, I don't rate because if I review I am so vain I want it on the frontpage.  But then I don't review, so I never rate either.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 08:57

a member of forum for a bit. i`m hoping to make lots of new friends. like all on the website i`m a total nutcase about  all things PROG!!!!!.

i`m geekfreak, 50+yrs old. genesis,yes,floyd,pallas,marillion,neal morse,dream theather,po90d, tangent and many others too. add the music of the blues/soul/rock/jazz/jambands etc, etc. other likes are sic-fi, gardening, raeding, british wildlife, walking, hammer house of horror movies, the addams family, the musters, merlin, marvel heroes, batman tv/movies, 70`s sitcoms, the muppetsLOL. trying to catch up on new techLOL. hippie,geek, steam trians, chess(just started playingShockedCryLOL) , chating, visting places. dig looking around seaside shopsLOL. vinyl juckieLOL.
gigsCoolLOLClapCoolLOL. did i say i nuts about PROGLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL. even with other whom think itsCry to like it. so please drop me a line.

peace, love & understanding.

geekfreak ( a mother earth child)   
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 10:31
Welcome Mr Andrew.  Hope you find this a good place to hang out and discover new music!
 Post Reply Post Reply