FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp Me Find a Guitar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Me Find a Guitar
    Posted: October 01 2013 at 14:48
I've been a music major at Drury University for a month and a half now and stilll haven't gotten myself a classical guitar.  That is going to have to change as I'm playing at the big National Association of Schools of Music recital on the 22nd.  So what I need from y'all is classical guitar recommendations.  I'm looking to spend about 400-500 dollars or so and would like to purchase a guitar of very good quality that will last me a very long time.  It also needs to have a large enough body to produce a loud sound that can be heard in a large concert hall.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 17:28
First you have to think like a guitar... Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 17:39
I'd love to help you, but I don't like playing classical guitars.

The best advice I can give you is to go to a store and play several yourself.  Even the same make and model can vary in subtleties.  Buy the one that falls in love with your hands (and ears).
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 22:06
Make sure someone teaches you how to change the strings on it if you've never owned a classical guitar
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 11:26
Seeing as how you got n really good advice I will give you some serious advice...

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 06 2013 at 11:30
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 11:29
I've never gone to any fancy music school so I was never looking to impress anyone.  My main axe is a Yahmaha C-40.  I haven't been particularly kind to it but I've had if for over 20 years.  It's been dinged and it is dusty but it has a great sound to it.  The device is as only as good at the person playing it....

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 06 2013 at 11:32
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 23:38
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

I've been a music major at Drury University for a month and a half now and stilll haven't gotten myself a classical guitar.  That is going to have to change as I'm playing at the big National Association of Schools of Music recital on the 22nd.  So what I need from y'all is classical guitar recommendations.  I'm looking to spend about 400-500 dollars or so and would like to purchase a guitar of very good quality that will last me a very long time.  It also needs to have a large enough body to produce a loud sound that can be heard in a large concert hall.

Well, first, find a guitar major!  Then, pick his/her brains!  

I was a biology major at the University of Illinois & fell in with some music guys.  David Onderdonk is one of the more famous ones, and a lot of the classical guitarist students had rock or jazz-rock ensembles.  Many of those guys smoked! 

Fareed Haque is Chair of Classical Guitar at Northern Illinois University, try writing to him to see if he has a used guitar in your range.  I arranged for Fareed to sell a Spanish crafted classical to my brother. 

Looking over the Musician's Friend website, it appears that both Yamaha and Alvarez have models that would suit your need.  You should be able to find those in most music stores.  Good luck!  
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 13:08
I'd begin by taking a look at Musicians Friend to get a feel for prices and such, then take that knowledge with you to a local music store.  Happiness with a classical guitar depends so much on how it feels in your hands...so...I'd highly recommend you go to a local music store and play as many in your price range as possible.  

I've played the same Takamine Jasmine since the mid 90's and it was within your price range.  You don't have to go $1000+ for a great classical that will last a lifetime.
 Post Reply Post Reply