Topic ClosedSteven Wilson - Billboard, Melbourne 2/10/2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson - Billboard, Melbourne 2/10/2013
    Posted: October 02 2013 at 10:13
Hey everyone, just got back from the Melbourne Steven Wilson show, and it was superb. The band played all of the `Raven’ as well as choices from both `Grace...’ and `Insurgents’, and even finished on a lovely encore of PTree's `Radioactive Toy’, simply sublime. The mixing was absolutely spot-on too, every player could be heard beautifully.

Wilson himself was in terrific and relaxed form, laughing off forgetting occasional lyrics, taking a few moments to rip on One Direction, praising recent flick `Springbreakers’ and asking for suggestions about Australia's own serial killers to read up on! It was also especially wonderful when Steven himself played some of those gut-wrenching and powerful guitar solos.

It was a great night that I got to share with my good friend Harry (Archives member Stratcat), online buddy Owen and even Matt from my own work! Pretty sure everyone thought it was amazing just like I did.

Oh, and the evening was especially memorable for me, being able to witness Theo Travis live. So restrained, thoughtful and moving, such a quality musician. I end up buying his `Travis and Fripp – Follow’ CD on the way out.

And on an amusing note to finish up on, as Stratcat and I were heading to the car to leave, I thought some dude in the car park was actually Theo Travis himself – although it was not lol! Hey, cut me some slack, my eyesight is pretty shot until I'm a metre or two away these days!

Great night with good company and some superb modern progressive artists at their musical best - pretty perfect night to me!

I hope others who attended this show or are going to any of the other shows around Australia can provide slightly stronger details, like a full proper setlist, and hopefully some photos.

Quirky Turkey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 11:29
I was there too and had a great time. Good to have tasteful sound and levels, despite me being right in front of the speaker. Everyone played well and Guthrie Govan blew us away with his soloing.

I ended up buying one of the comics which was worth it just for the poster. Nick Beggs also signed it!

Awesome gig, though it would have been better with Marco Minneman and if they played Secretarian (one of my favs). Otherwise fantastic, and good to see a decline in the amount of Insurgentes material played.

Oh and another thing to add: In the long waiting line outside next to a phone store, before the gig, people kept walking past (more than 20) asking me what the line was for, and no one had heard of Steven Wilson, or Porcupine Tree, or Prog Rock. So after so many blank faces I gave up and just told them it was for the iPhone 5 release, which they believed. Us proggers had a laugh at the ignorant muggles.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 14:58
He puts on such a great show......He was here in Seattle before Raven was released so it was the GFD Tour and I loved it. My wife was able to get a drum stic from Marco after the show and I agree, seeing Theo play is a major treat.

He did play for us Luminol which everyone went nuts for!!!

I am hoping SW returns to Seattle soon, maybe next year.....Word is he likes it here, loves all the used vinyl stores we have. At the time Storm Corrosion was coming out and people were talking about that in line and also about the previous year SW was here with Blackfield, I missed that show Cry

Edited by Catcher10 - October 02 2013 at 14:59
stratcat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 23:03
It was an awesome show. Was great to hear them doing radioactive toy and Wilson actually cranking his axe up to eleven live, which we hardly get to see/hear.
The whole band were just in great form. A big highlight was Theo Travis's reed work. 

The mixing was amazing. There was not much more one could have asked for.
I even went up to the guy working the desk and complemented him. I am sure being quadraphonic stereo that it would have increased the complexity.

Quirky Turkey that is gold :)
Curutchet View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 00:49
I'm excited to see him in Brisbane, for the 2nd time this year (after Paris in March).< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
“It’s a funny thing about life; if you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it.”
A Prog fan, I write Record Player Reviews.
porteri View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 01:09
And I was there too!
Nice to see such a progarchives crew in Melbourne :)
Loved Theo's flute work.
But the whole gig worked in so many ways - overall structure of the set, Wilson's songwriting, the tightness of the band, the individual players, Wilson's repartee with the audience ...
porteri View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 01:11
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 03:39
I was there too, in Melbourne! Absolutely magnificent! 

I met him, and he signed my Grace for Drowning deluxe book edition, and Raven vinyl. Really nice guy, and humble too. 

The music was beyond belief. Everyone was on fire. The musicians were incredibly tight. Theo Travis was something else. Guthrie Govan? Awesome. Nick Beggs, legendary

Excellent night of music all around. 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 18:38
Thanks for the review Michael(and others). When I saw him in Toronto on the Grace For Drowning tour I also was really impressed with Theo Travis. In fact I was thinking to myself that I couldn't remember seeing too many if any horn players over the years. I guess most of my early concert goings was to heavier bands without horns so it was a thrill to see and hear that live.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 01:32
Originally posted by Quirky Turkey Quirky Turkey wrote:

I was there too and had a great time. Good to have tasteful sound and levels, despite me being right in front of the speaker. Everyone played well and Guthrie Govan blew us away with his soloing.

I ended up buying one of the comics which was worth it just for the poster. Nick Beggs also signed it!

Awesome gig, though it would have been better with Marco Minneman and if they played Secretarian (one of my favs). Otherwise fantastic, and good to see a decline in the amount of Insurgentes material played.

Oh and another thing to add: In the long waiting line outside next to a phone store, before the gig, people kept walking past (more than 20) asking me what the line was for, and no one had heard of Steven Wilson, or Porcupine Tree, or Prog Rock. So after so many blank faces I gave up and just told them it was for the iPhone 5 release, which they believed. Us proggers had a laugh at the ignorant muggles.
That was funny.I was one of the old guys standing behind you from Adelaide.
Awesome show especially after the 2 chicks standing beside me shut up after they were told by my brother that it was "Time to listen girls".
It was a looong night waiting around until morning for our flight home though! Dead
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 01:41
Good that he's doing these 'rehearsals' for his UK gigs. Should be perfect when he and his band play the Colston Hall on the 15th Big smile
Zeppelinmad View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 03:48
Hi All,

I'm not sure what the policy on recordings is here as I'm new.  Can someone let me know before I incriminate my friend Brother Ruprecht...
Zeppelinmad View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 04:08
Hi ,

Your status shows you as a senior member so I'm guessing you may know the answer to this....

What's the policy here with regards to recordings of shows on this forum?  I went to this gig in Melbourne (was also in the queue leaning against the bloody window of some travel shop I think ) and my friend Brother Ruprecht, as he likes to be known, recorded the whole performance  - using audio reality mikes and a Sony PCM M10B.  As Steve Wilson doesn't allow recordings on Dimeadozen or tradersden etc I was wondering what this forums policy is on recordings ?

On a separate note I rocked up really early and walked into the venue before security were set up.  I stood downstairs in the entrance, near the T shirt stand and watched 15 minutes of the sound check at about 1830 before finally the promotor asked me who I was and five minutes later I was in KFC on Bourke street getting a bite to eat !!! 

Still awesome to see.

Cheers
Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply