Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeter Banks posthumous recording

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Banks posthumous recording
    Posted: October 04 2013 at 14:49
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

It would be great if it also included Tony Kaye... but as far as I understand, it doesn't.

Tony Kaye was just a bit player in the Flash saga, he wasn't a formal member of the band.  

Banks later works are very much underappreciated - he developed a shred style similar to Steve Vai, and fused this technique with some good progressive music.  

His contributions to the "Days Between Stations" CD In Extremis are very nice, I suggest PA folks to check this one out!  

Bank's longtime friend and manager, George Mizer, tells me that there will be further archival releases soon.  I think Billy Sherwood will be instrumental in producing and editing these.  

Check out Pete's playing in this 1993 cut from "Instinct" (Peter plays all instruments except for some keys).  This stuff ROCKS! 

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 20:54
It would be great if it also included Tony Kaye... but as far as I understand, it doesn't.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2013 at 13:05
Well, this is interesting news, for all of us Flash & Peter Banks fans! 

Progressive rock, Rock Music — October 2, 2013 at 7:44 am

Something Else! sneak peek: Flash featuring Peter Banks – In Public (2013)

by Something Else!

The live project that Peter Banks was completing at the time of the co-founding Yes guitarist’s death is set for release later this month. In Public finds him at work with his subsequent band Flash.

The album, recroded live on January 21, 1973 on a double bill with the Byrds at Kansas City’s Cow Town Ballroom, also features Flash’s original line of Ray Bennett, Colin Carter and Mike Hough. George “The Miz” Mizer completed work on In Public after Banks’ passing in March of this year.

A series of posthumous releases have followed, including individual sideman projects with the Prog Collective, the up-and-coming act Days Between Stations and on a Steve Miller tribute album. The surviving members of Flash also released a Banks-less release under the band’s name.

But In Public promises to showcase the late prog pioneer in the most complete way yet. Presented as a special limited edition CD, this live document will include an expansive 16-page booklet with new comments from Tony Kaye, who was a fellow original member of Yes, as well as the Who’s Pete Townshend. 

Edited by cstack3 - October 03 2013 at 13:07
 Post Reply Post Reply