Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLongest Prog Studio Album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 10:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

What about the albums that feel the longest to get through?Big smile 

I find the one's with strong concepts feel like they go on forever because you have to concentrate so much (e.g. Metropolis Pt. 2 by Dream Theater, L'Heptade by Harmonium, etc) Or sometimes the opposite, like anything slow or minimalistic like electronic stuff 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 10:33
Ayreon has got some long albums as well.
iamathousandapples View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 10:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

What about the albums that feel the longest to get through?Big smile 

Stardust We Are. I always forget about like half of the songs on the album(usually instrumental interludes) and I have to sit through them all to get to the title track

Edited by iamathousandapples - October 25 2013 at 10:47
rickdog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 01:31
Chris Judge Smith - Curly's Airships - 143:55 on two CDs, no live material
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/chris_judge_smith/curlys_airships/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly%27s_Airships
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 02:38
Aynthing by The Flower Kings of course, but Amarok by Mike Oldfield was long considered to be the longest one-piece progrocksong, lasting exactly one hour.

Oh, and Øresund Space Collective has some long albums.

I can remember an electronic artist who wrote a song that lasted a few years, it's somewhere on youtube.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 03:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

If you stitch all The Flower Kings albums together you probably wouldn't know you were listening to different albums. (Banks Of Eden excepted)
Wink

I agree with you.  I like the music, but it does go on a bit and personally its hard for me to tell these apart.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 07:21
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

If you stitch all The Flower Kings albums together you probably wouldn't know you were listening to different albums. (Banks Of Eden excepted)
Wink

I agree with you.  I like the music, but it does go on a bit and personally its hard for me to tell these apart.

sounds like music then that.. well.. SUCKS! LOL I agree... the albums were FAR too long and absolutely f**king nothing good or distinctive about them.  Generic prog at its worst. (nipped Camel at the line.. at least Latimer's horrible vocals do give Camel an air of distinctiveness) TFK do all tend to run together.. the albums .. the songs everything.  Yuck...

The only use I have for those albums are as drink coasters...  Raff wouldn't let me use her DT albums.. but those TFK CD's... she had NO problem with those. 

hah...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 07:28
Out of my personal collection, probably Joe's Garage by Zappa
User Banned for this Post
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 08:11
Just bought Radio Massacre International - Rain Falls In Grey Redux, which is all the studio work that went into the original album. Clocks in at 6 hours, 26 minutes, 41 seconds. Not bad for 20 quid. 

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - September 24 2016 at 08:11
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 08:42
A new addition to the original purpose of this list would be Gandalf's Fist's The Clockwork Fable, a triple concept album lasting a whopping 194 minutes!
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 19:43
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Wink

sounds like music then that.. well.. SUCKS! LOL I agree... the albums were FAR too long and absolutely f**king nothing good or distinctive about them.  Generic prog at its worst. (nipped Camel at the line.. at least Latimer's horrible vocals do give Camel an air of distinctiveness) TFK do all tend to run together.. the albums .. the songs everything.  Yuck...

The only use I have for those albums are as drink coasters...  Raff wouldn't let me use her DT albums.. but those TFK CD's... she had NO problem with those. 

hah...

Nice to see that band be put to good use. Wink
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 01:38
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Wink

hah...

Nice to see that band be put to good use. Wink

my, my, my, my... How things have changed here, since I used to get insukted for my poor TFK reviews in the TFK appreciation thread, some 10 years agoLOL
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 14:21
In the old days of the LP certainly Klaus Schulze had a thing for cramming lots of minutes on every side (in which, to be honest, not always a lot of stuff was happening). A few of them (single discs) scratch at the one hour mark, and the double album "X" is more than 115 minutes long.
This is quite remarkable given that most people did  35-45 minutes per disc those days and it seemed that there are physical difficulties to put in more (I wasn't enough interested in the issue to really figure out what the problem was if there was one). Strange that by and large the whole bonus track thing and longer albums only started with the advent of the CD, given that Mr Schulze could do much longer LPs already.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 22:52
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Well if your counting boxsets probably King Crimson - The Road To Red at 21 CD's.

Well played, unfortunately the OP is looking for studio not live albums.  And now that I noticed that, maybe Zappa's Lather doesn't count since it includes some live stuff from "Zappa in New York" Unhappy

Well Lather was split up into 4 releases but different versions e.g. a vocal and instrumental Gregory Peccary. Live In NY was one of those split releases. So Lather counts.

Perhaps the new KC - I'e not got it but though performed live it has the crowd mixed out.

Subterranea by IQ goes over two full Cds.

How about Magma - a concept that lasted 10 albums.

Calling All Stations fully compiled goes for 2 CDs.

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 05:46
Lamonte Young's The Well Tuned Piano is five hours, and I believe William Basinki's The Disintegration Loops is around the same. As for prog specifically, the longest I have is Soundtracks For The Blind by Swans, which is easily over two hours, probably closer to 2 and a half.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12