Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Buckethead
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBuckethead

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: June 23 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1725
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buckethead
    Posted: October 05 2013 at 16:29
Hi, I think that Buckethead should definitely be in Prog Archives. There are many prog elements in his albums and I think that it should be recognised on this website. I would also love to see others' ratings of his albums because I can't really be bothered to track down and listen to each of his 60 something studio albums individually, it would be much easier if I just found the highest rated ones that I haven't heard! Thoughts??
Back to Top
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Post/Math Rock Team

Joined: January 20 2011
Location: Somewhere Else
Status: Offline
Points: 16952
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 16:32

It's been discussed before. He's not going to be added, try using the search function. 


Edited by Andy Webb - December 20 2013 at 20:01
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Back to Top
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: April 29 2006
Location: Atlantais
Status: Offline
Points: 28035
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 16:40
^ try not to make an ass out of yourself as well.  And just for the record, Buckethead will be added one day and it won't ruin the site. Wink

But yeah, dude, use the search function first and free to chime in. Big smile


Edited by Slartibartfast - October 05 2013 at 16:43
Back to Top
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 29 2005
Location: Lilliwaup, Wa.
Status: Offline
Points: 5044
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 09:56
the reason he will not be added is because his discography is too complicated
Back to Top
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: May 18 2005
Location: C. Schinesghe
Status: Offline
Points: 12108
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 11:45
^ That's a stupid reason.
Back to Top
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Post/Math Rock Team

Joined: January 20 2011
Location: Somewhere Else
Status: Offline
Points: 16952
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 11:54
That's because it's not true, just nonsense. 

Inb4 Buckethead debate. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Back to Top
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 29 2005
Location: Lilliwaup, Wa.
Status: Offline
Points: 5044
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 12:01
^ so you say
Back to Top
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: October 28 2008
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 8596
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 13:32
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

the reason he will not be added is because his discography is too complicated

No it's not. It's because he ain't progLOL


In Lazland, life is transient. Prog is permanent.
Back to Top
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 28 2010
Location: Funky Town
Status: Offline
Points: 12794
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 13:42
I have no idea how he isn't prog enough to be on this site.
Back to Top
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 29 2005
Location: Lilliwaup, Wa.
Status: Offline
Points: 5044
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 15:59
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

the reason he will not be added is because his discography is too complicated

No it's not. It's because he ain't progLOL
I respect your opinion but do not agree
Back to Top
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: October 28 2008
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 8596
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 16:23
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

the reason he will not be added is because his discography is too complicated

No it's not. It's because he ain't progLOL
I respect your opinion but do not agree

And I respect yours, honestly. However, this is one of those cases which has been discussed almost to death, and he will never be added. Too many people disagree with your opinion.


In Lazland, life is transient. Prog is permanent.
Back to Top
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: June 23 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 1725
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 16:30
He's definitely prog or at least "Prog-Related" and how is his discography too complicated? Just because he puts out a lot of albums? Ermm
Back to Top
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 29 2005
Location: Lilliwaup, Wa.
Status: Offline
Points: 5044
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 16:52
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

the reason he will not be added is because his discography is too complicated

No it's not. It's because he ain't progLOL
I respect your opinion but do not agree

And I respect yours, honestly. However, this is one of those cases which has been discussed almost to death, and he will never be added. Too many people disagree with your opinion.
My opinion is more important to me than"too many people"'s opinion but I respect it is not my database and at the end of the day it is not earth shattering.
Back to Top
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 11 2012
Location: Columbus&NYC
Status: Offline
Points: 3148
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 18:32
I listened to some of the new Pikes albums. Now he did just release around 19 or 20 albums within THIS YEAR very recently.

It might be worth checking out some of those. Anyone that actually really likes Buckethead and doesn't think he is prog rock should do this.

I tried to listen to all the songs that were over 10 minutes long and while I found them to kind of have progressive elements, obvious virtuoso skill, etc... I find his work to have less modal changes, layered counterpoint, time signature changes, and more 'progressive type guitar solos' instead of progressive riffs. Often times there isn't much variance in riffs during the much longer songs and I find him to be more on the experimental music but not prog side of things.


Back to Top
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 11 2012
Location: Columbus&NYC
Status: Offline
Points: 3148
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 18:34
...this is not a regular CD. It's hand made, hand burned. The cover is whatever is deemed to be written on it. This is not a manufactured deal, each one is different and will be numbered and monogramed. No two of these will be the same. I have never heard of an artist doing something like this. This is as direct from the artist to the fan as I have ever heard of.

As far as the content, I don't know, but the mystery around it is no surprise. Again, I can't speculate because I don't want to mislead anyone, I just don't know anymore. My gut sense is this is a conceptual work, a piece of art. It could contain anything.

The original box set could be purchased as either a box set or separately.[3] There seems to be no underlying theme or thread to the songs on the separate discs, and they feature many different and diverse styles of music. In addition, each song stands alone; none of the tracks fade into each other. The set also lacks any type of track listing as all the songs are untitled, however, unofficial track names have been assigned by fans of Buckethead which are known to reflect his personality and his previous work. As such, references to past material are present. There are a total of 92 songs in the set ranging in lengths from 0:33 to 19:45, not including "Vol. 13: E" which is one unbroken 45-minute track.

Buckethead drew the covers on each set of In Search of The until he reached the 999th copy.[4] All further copies available are no longer hand-made and feature the same artwork from set to set.[5]


But to me, progressive ideas does not mean progressive rock. I have not heard this 9 and a half hour album.

Anyone here hear it? 

Back to Top
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: August 22 2005
Location: Brazil
Status: Offline
Points: 1083
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 18:54
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
Back to Top
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
PSIKE Team

Joined: March 28 2010
Location: Alabama
Status: Offline
Points: 2824
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 10:54
^ because smurph totally didn't make that an obvious quote.
Back to Top
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: February 23 2009
Location: Bolton, Lancs
Status: Offline
Points: 528
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 09:45
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

He's definitely prog or at least "Prog-Related" and how is his discography too complicated? Just because he puts out a lot of albums? Ermm
 
Not sure if this is the reason or not. I doubt it, although his discography is certainly daunting. From what I've heard, this gentleman certainly has released progressive music. If anyone does want to provide a review before ProgArchives get their collective heads around this one (or not), they could of course keep it in the family and vist the nice people on MMA -
 
 
Back to Top
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 01 2004
Location: CA
Status: Offline
Points: 3706
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 12:32
I believe some of Bucketed One's "proggier" moments to be on the earlier Praxis albums like Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis) and Metatron. Those are more or less funk-fusion albums.

I think some of his solo albums like Giant Robot, Population Override and maybe the two Chicken Noodles albums (which feature only himself and Travis Dickerson on Rhodes piano) could be categorized as "Prog Related" in that the latter are neo-jazz and the former are conceptual with stylistic/thematic shifts.

Then there's stuff like Enter The Chicken which is most definitely NOT prog.
Back to Top
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 11 2012
Location: Columbus&NYC
Status: Offline
Points: 3148
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 12:42
Well you guys are forgetting the 30 albums he's released this year.

Someone needs to check them out fully and spend time deciding if it's Prog or not. Maybe he will head in that direction.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.141 seconds.