Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Fates Warning underrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Fates Warning underrated?
    Posted: October 05 2013 at 22:20
Going back through the Fates Warning catalog, and I really enjoy this band.  Does anyone feel they are underrated?  I ordered the new album and look forward to hearing it.
RedNightmareKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 23:08
They're not too underrated here, just not mentioned particularly often. I feel like they're constantly overshadowed by their peers Dream Theater, Queensryche, and Symphony X a little too much.
I consider drone metal to be progressive...
iamathousandapples View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 23:24
Fates Warning is definitely overlooked, as is Prog Metal in general, and even then the heavier you go the less it tends to get mentioned.

Underrated I definitely wouldn't say so, as everyone I've had listen to a Fates Warning album has had a really high regard for it.

Edited by iamathousandapples - October 05 2013 at 23:25
jammindude View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 23:44
I would say they are under rated.  Not just from the standpoint of criminally overlooked by the populace in general...but even by their own fan base.    Generally, you have fans that like a certain era(s) while dismissing others.    It's actually pretty cool to grow with band.  When I discovered them in '83, I was into what they were doing.   As I grew, they grew with me.    As a consequence, I personally love every note they've ever played.  
"Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
Than the pride that divides
When a colorful rag is unfurled" -Neil Peart
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 00:27
Underrated a bit, yes. In the late 80s Queensryche, then Dream Theater, got the spotlight. Fates should have got some of it but for whatever reason, just as they seemed ready to break through to Tier 1, it never happened.
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 01:08
I do not very often listen to FW. But whenever I do, I really enjoy them. The thing with FW is I have to be in a certain mood. Its not "everyday music". For example, A Pleasant Shade of Grey is masterpiece! But I usually only once or twice per year feel like listening to it.
So, I don't think they are underrated. They just occupy a very special niche.
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 01:53
They are at least more consistent than Queensryche. It's kind of weird that they're forgotten. Maybe it's because of their more power metal/heavy metal leanings and that they didn't have an insanely popular classic album (Operation: Mindcrime).
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 06:41
What is strange is that no Fates Warning album has been rated more than 250 times at PA, and this is a site that goes crazy for progressive metal.  I am not saying the amount of ratings can transcend to popularity, but it does mean something.

I think you have to be in a mood to listen to any type of music.  My everyday music is usually the newest stuff that I bought and will play to death until I have to go back through my catalog.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 06:50
Only really familiar with their first three LPs but those are at least on par with what Queensr˙che were doing at the same time... if not even better. I can understand why FW are nowhere as popular, though. Their style is way more inaccessible and they have a not undeserved reputation for taking an extremely long time to "get".
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 11:11
Hi

Saw them here on their tour with Queensryche and Dream Theater, and sadly, the majority of the audience were all fanboys and fangirls, and ignored them, and they put on a fine show, and a gutsy one, too!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 12:56
I love FW.

1st I ever heard of them though was when Perfect Symmetry came out, the local mall record store where I was stationed at (Sumter, SC) was playing it as I entered the store one day, and I was hooked. I then started to collect their previous albums.

The one album I don't really care for is APSOG, which seems to be the one album everyone else loves. I just think it sounds too weird, and doesn't rock out at all.
Blood&Chemistry View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 17:28
I believe so yes they don't get nearly enough credit as they should Awaken The Guardian deserves to be up there with Operation Mindcrime and Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory in the pantheon of essential prog metal albums.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 19:41
I wan't a big fan when they first started out,I thought they were a group of Iron Maiden wannabe's,but their later albums convinced me otherwise.Definitely underrated,imo.

BTW.....their new album is superb.Clap

Edited by TheProgtologist - October 07 2013 at 19:42

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 19:43
Originally posted by jammindude jammindude wrote:

I would say they are under rated.  Not just from the standpoint of criminally overlooked by the populace in general...but even by their own fan base.    Generally, you have fans that like a certain era(s) while dismissing others.    It's actually pretty cool to grow with band.  When I discovered them in '83, I was into what they were doing.   As I grew, they grew with me.    As a consequence, I personally love every note they've ever played.  

Well you got into them 20 years before I did but they are my favourite Metal band. Cool story though about growing with them.  Disconnected, Awaken The Guardian and Perfect Symmetry are all so different from one another but each one is incredible in my opinion. A very, very talented bunch.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 15:11
It might also be worth mentioning that in my (admittedly anecdotal) experience FW are way more popular in metal circles than in prog-rock circles.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 17:40
Fates Warning I think are quite underrated in my opinion. I mean sure people who are serious and know progressive rock very well in general have either heard about about FW or know that they are a band that helped build a whole sub genre of prog with 'progressive metal.' I think a lot can be said about just how good FATES truly are and the best part is they are still making music that is both relevant and flat-out sounds bloody amazing.

I did write more or less a pretty one-sided enthusiastic review for their latest album. Lets just say that I think personally I could not bare to wait another 9 years for an album release. I'm on a Fates High right now, so I maybe thinking rather biasedly with my line of thinking feeling that they are super-underrated! I think Fates Warning should have the same exposure and success that Metallica has had. I really honestly feel that isn't stretching it at all.

Anyway. Here is my review if anyone is interested. It's a bit long-winded but I couldn't help myself. Lol

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1129821
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 17:43
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

They are at least more consistent than Queensryche. It's kind of weird that they're forgotten. Maybe it's because of their more power metal/heavy metal leanings and that they didn't have an insanely popular classic album (Operation: Mindcrime).

Oh man they are far more consistent than the Ryche cause after Promise Land in 1994 it's been a real bed-sh*tter, although their latest album minus Tate wasn't bad. First album I could listen to through and through with not much to complain about in 20 years!! Well...19 to be exact. :)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 18:33
I still need to get their latest, it's on my list. I'm a sucker for the related projects as well like OSI, Chroma Key, John Arch solo and the album he did with Matheos recently.
Nice review Mr. Progbethyname, it certainly has me itching to get it.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 18:38
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I still need to get their latest, it's on my list. I'm a sucker for the related projects as well like OSI, Chroma Key, John Arch solo and the album he did with Matheos recently.

John I think you'll give it at least a 4. It grows on you fast!
It moves buddy...it moves. ;)
Thanks for your kind words as well. Oh and try to get the 2cd special edition. The 2nd disc although just has 4 tracks on it is a very good listen. :)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 19:07
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

John I think you'll give it at least a 4. It grows on you fast!
It moves buddy...it moves. ;)
Thanks for your kind words as well. Oh and try to get the 2cd special edition. The 2nd disc although just has 4 tracks on it is a very good listen. :)

Thanks for the heads up about the 2cd edition because I usually pass on stuff like that. I did give FWX 4 stars so i'm sure it will be 4 stars minimum especially from a fanboy like myself.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>