FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaptain Beyond, Live in TX Oct.6th,1973

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain Beyond, Live in TX Oct.6th,1973
    Posted: October 06 2013 at 12:18
In 2013 Purple Pyramid Records released Captain Beyond's opening set for King Crimson Live In Texas October 6th, 1973 recorded at the U of TX , Arlington - not a great live recording in terms of fidelity, but all instruments are captured with vocals, and if this is how the band sounded without any overdubs, it is worth a listen due to the great performance. Despite the recording, which took me a bit to get used to, I like hearing early progressive rock bands live and the drum solo on this CD from Bobby Caldwell and the talking from Rod Evans between songs is a nice glimpse into not just choice selections but obviously someone just pushed record and here's a concert set from start to finish - with few fades. If you enjoy CB's music and don't mind hearing it raw and real, and a groovy version of "Stone Free" to end the set, check out and support cool labels like Purple Pyramid Records that release works like this.  
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 14:24
wrong sub-section, this should go under "Recommendations" or "New Releases, thanks
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2013 at 14:29
Interestingly, Bobby Caldwell has resurrected the band's name and is starting to book concerts.  I don't know the sidemen (Rhino Reinhardt and Lee Dorman being deceased), but it might be worth keeping an eye open for. 

theandies View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 08:41
Thanks for the info.  I've always liked CB especailly Bobby Caldwell - one of my favorite musicians.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 09:14
Originally posted by kglenz kglenz wrote:

In 2013 Purple Pyramid Records released Captain Beyond's opening set for King Crimson Live In Texas October 6th, 1973 recorded at the U of TX , Arlington - not a great live recording in terms of fidelity, but all instruments are captured with vocals, and if this is how the band sounded without any overdubs, it is worth a listen due to the great performance. Despite the recording, which took me a bit to get used to, I like hearing early progressive rock bands live and the drum solo on this CD from Bobby Caldwell and the talking from Rod Evans between songs is a nice glimpse into not just choice selections but obviously someone just pushed record and here's a concert set from start to finish - with few fades. If you enjoy CB's music and don't mind hearing it raw and real, and a groovy version of "Stone Free" to end the set, check out and support cool labels like Purple Pyramid Records that release works like this.  
Sounds great, I love this band! I remember listening to their Far Beyond A Distant Sun live album and it was with a horrible sound quality, but inspite that I could notice an excellent performance from this line up.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 17:21
I really like their first one and the second is good also......thought the third one was a bit of a let down.
I still play the first one now and then.
Sadly no one like that ever comes to northwest IN ...maybe they'll come to Chicago.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
theandies View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 14:47
If you like CB check out Armageddon.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 18:28
I just picked up their debut for dirt cheap at lasercd.com. First time I had heard them and it is way better than I thought it would be. Very cool stuff.  This sounds like something I should check out.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 03:25
Captain Beyond and King Crimson circa 1973 on the same bill? Man, what I wouldn't give to experience that entire concert...
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 15:15
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Captain Beyond and King Crimson circa 1973 on the same bill? Man, what I wouldn't give to experience that entire concert...

Capt. Beyond was the first band I ever saw on the huge R&R stage, and they opened for Alice Cooper's "School's Out" show!  It was July 28, 1972, Chicago Amphitheater. 

I was told that this was the second show of the day, and that Wishbone Ash opened for Alice for the earlier show...as much as I love W. Ash, I'm sure glad it was the Captain I saw!   Both bands were drop-dead amazing, at the peaks of their creativity.  

I'm in touch with the Captain Beyond family as I've done some promo work for them, so I'll let PA know if anything interesting comes up.  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 02:41
Not sure what I'd prefer to see: Alice Cooper and Captain Beyond on the same bill, or CB and KC..
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 07:14
Captain Beyond opened for Golden Earring at a concert I saw in the early 70's. They were far better in my opinion. The original line up and only one album released. They were tight and professional. I've always liked them. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 10:43

Not sure what I'd prefer to see: Alice Cooper and Captain Beyond on the same bill, or CB and KC..

I saw the LTIA tour in Chicago, sometime in 1973.  Peter Frampton opened for KC!  It was a bit of a musical mismatch, but Peter put on a great show and a good time was had by all.  

Concert pairings were usually "unique" back then....when I saw Yes' CTTE show, The Eagles (a brand new band) opened for them!   

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 10:49
Originally posted by theandies theandies wrote:

If you like CB check out Armageddon.
Yes...great lp.....I still play that one..... and Metamorphosis by Iron Butterfly which has that connection..
And of course Pugh was in Steamhammer and Cennamo was in Relf's original version of Renaissance.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 10:57
This reminds me: I just read Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull's memories of touring with Captain Beefheart. (surprise: IA found Beefheart a great creative mind but a horrible human being)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 15:36

This reminds me: I just read Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull's memories of touring with Captain Beefheart. (surprise: IA found Beefheart a great creative mind but a horrible human being)

Could you link me to that article..?
Smile
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 13:41
It's this interview where Ian discusses his favourite albums. Beefheart's Spotlight Kid comes up and he discusses his interactions with the Captain.
 Post Reply Post Reply