FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRobert Lloyd: Home Truths :Debut CD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robert Lloyd: Home Truths :Debut CD
    Posted: October 08 2013 at 07:11
Here are some tunes from Robert Lloyds debut CD Home Truths. It was reviewed on DPRP but is now no longer available to buy.
Robert wanted to share this revised and extended version with any body that might be interested to hear it. Hope you are able to check it out.

Tracklist: I’m Glad (1:16), Sailed Away (4:30), According To Plan (3:49), What Did You Notice (5:57), Melt The Ice (3:34), Storyteller (3:30), Where Did You Go (3:11), And On Returning (4:16),Were We Closer (3:11), The Delicate Persuasion (3:01),Right Now It's Fine (5:23), Clouds (1:48), Come Home For Tea (5:37), (That Our Paths Dared To Meet) (1:32)

The DPRP review can be found in Vol 8 2012 and was written by Jim Corcoran

Extracts from his review can be found below

'Robert Lloyd is a young musician who has a recording entitled Home Truths and he has kindly provided to DPRP a CDR copy of the album for review.

Lloyd, just twenty years of age at the time DPRP received the CDR in November 2011, has banged out over 60 original tunes since the age of sixteen. He’s gigged around the Lancaster and Stockport areas in his homeland of the UK and in addition has done some charity events and live radio broadcast appearances.

So Lloyd has assembled in Home Truths a collection of thirteen mostly acoustic based tracks. On the album Lloyd handles guitars and vocals, music and lyric writing, and arrangements (all credited to his real name Robert Davies). His younger brother, seventeen-year old Alun Davies, plays bass and alongside his elder bro handles arrangements. Alun has been playing bass guitar since the age of thirteen and is an understudy of Bass Day UK organizer Stevie Williams.

The DIY feel of the CDR’s packaging had me expecting something of demo quality, but I ended up being quite impressed with Lloyd’s craft. It’s not prog in the pure sense, but nonetheless there are some catchy tracks here.

Alun lays down a carefree bass solo on According To Plan, which features a lot of tempo changes and some multi-tracked acoustic and electric guitar from Lloyd.

Song structure as well takes the form of cascading waterfalls of sound on What Did You Notice, which serves up a lot of Lloyd’s thick acoustic and electric guitar.

The tactic of multi-tracked acoustic and electric guitars to me is not always justified, and I feel for example that And On Returning, with its bouncy bass from Alun and playful rollick, is a tune strong enough without the electric guitar tracking.

Commonalities on Home Truths include The Beatles, Julian Cope, David Bowie and Love And Rockets. In addition, the singer-songwriter approach of the music fortified by a hooky muscle evokes The Sundays, with songs that are both tight and warm and would find themselves equally at home on an Ipod or in a coffeehouse.

The two brothers are quite talented musicians, and the music on Home Truths carries with it a weighty sense of composition and melody, along with the crisp vocal delivery from Lloyd.

The CDR came modestly packaged in a plastic envelope and a glossy folding card with a black and white photo of Lloyd on the front. Credits, track listing, web addresses, contact information and a black and white photo of both brothers adorn the back. The front cover photo is different from the one I saw when I looked at Home Truths on Amazon (as shown above).

This album will most likely appeal to fans of accessible, singer-songwriter based music. If you’re seeking Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, this isn’t it.

An area of opportunity I see for Lloyd with future endeavors is to recruit a keyboard player and drummer. That said, this young man has a great career ahead of him. Bravo, Mr. Lloyd. '

Conclusion: 6 out of 10
 Post Reply Post Reply