Message Reverse Sort Order
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camel have re-recorded The Snow Goose
    Posted: December 14 2013 at 07:43
Originally posted by camelfreak camelfreak wrote:

... the forthcoming DVD looks wonderful -- too bad the Barbican show was shortened.

Forthcoming DVD?! Where can I find more information about that?

SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 07:41
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I have to have everything from the band 

Me too. Is the new version of The Snow Goose available for download or streaming, or does one have to order the actual CD?

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 22:30
Latimer  and Camel kick ass Approve
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

camelfreak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 22:03
Lovingly recorded, indeed.  The new version of The Snow Goose jumps out of the speakers as the original did but with a verve that's refreshing and even invigorating.  I've only recently seen the Richard Harris/ Jenny Agutter movie and finally get it -- though I had read the book years ago.  These (at the time) 25 + year olds were right up there with the great creative artists of their time.  To have bested the original (without orchestra this time) is a feat.  

Andy Latimer is the unsung hero and easily the most underrated artist in music.  Quick -- name another.  

I'm so happy they've done this and look forward to any new Camel material.  The videos of the recent Euro tour are fabulous.  Likewise the forthcoming DVD looks wonderful -- too bad the Barbican show was shortened.  

Viva Camel!
sturoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 12:14
Perhaps the band themselves were never completely happy with the recording or engineering of it ?It may not even be about the song structures or playing.   The mastering may not have been up to par even though we are all used to how the Lp sounds.
Has any asked them or have they stated this themselves ?

Lest we forget that the album was recorded in the era of analog.
Now not wanting to open up that can of worms too much.I'm still a big fan of tape,outboard f/x's and instruments of which I have many.
But to redo something these days with the same methods and amount of time they take  to do so may be the issue.
The digital workflow is very convenient now.

I seldom buy redo's or compilations and as others have stated, especially when its repackaged with just a few 'new' tracks.
I will wait to see/hear it. only then will the justification be made to buy it.

Some fans might complain but hey, It's their baby they can do whatever they want with it !

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 07:33
I think Snow Goose is a remarkable album but perhaps re recording it is unwarranted. Only time will tell. 
Matthew1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 08:38
The Unofficial Camel Facebook Group 
Please feel free to Join .
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 15:24
I've not read The Snow Goose, but I have found Bach's seagull totally boring, trivial and uninteresting. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 12:35
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

They could have done Jonathan Livingston Seagul, or Fly Away Home...

...or Happy Feet...

I always thought that Richard Bach's story was not as interesting as the "Snow Goose', and it was more aimed at the really stoned and out there folks from the 60's, and its value was not that interesting, as the other story. In essence, JLS has no story per se, but it is "a day in the life", which was a theme that was worth exploring, only to find that it's not too interesting, and we prefer ideas and thoughts outside of ourselves, than we do a good look at the mirror!

I was not a great fan of the JLS stuff and following, though his books are not great and at least one is kinda fun to read, but has a tendency to drag on a bit. By comparison, "Snow Goose" is more English Literature, than otherwise.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 18:22
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Awe--some. Would like to hear it.

I heard the live version on Saturday in Harrogate. It's not that different, if that's what they've rerecorded.

But truthfully, the original recording of The Snow Goose is so perfect I'm really not sure I want to listen to the new version.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 18:16
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Andy looks good in the picture.  So happy to still have him with us

You wait till you see him in action.

My God is he in good form, as are the rest of the band. The crowd reaction was sensational.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
terryl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 02:38
Like many here, i'm not exactly keen on this release, except that the new album art is very lovely.

By the way, I know that the court case with Paul Galico was settled, but do we ever find out what Paul actually thought about the music before he passed away?

And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 14:48
Given that the snow goose is an instrumental recording, it may be a needed confidence boost to go on the road with newer material to present, that is not so new.

I doubt is like too many other newer versions that basically a rehash the material in an attempt to get more cash from the fans - sort of like the envitable remastering done every 5/10 years
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 04:15
I have to have everything from the band 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 21:35
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Why not?

I'm not sure, I just don't feel the urge. Perhaps because I have not entered a fase of "I have to have everything from the band". Plus, I really loved their sound on their original line-up albums, and I feel that the absence of the rest of the band wold be noted. Most of all Peter Bardens. Of cours, if I heard this re-recording I may change my mind, but I guess I'd rather spend my money on many other albums I've still got to get.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 20:13
Perhaps Mr. Latimer feels the need to revisit a past success before going on to new projects after such a serious illness. This would not only be a good idea for a tour, since so many other bands have been doing it, but it could easily lend to a DVD release. What piques my curiosity most is how it will sound without Peter Bardens, and what new elements they might bring to the proceedings. Oh, and I highly recommend reading Paul Gallico's story - it is beautifully written and quite engaging.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 18:31
^ I for one don't care, if I was Andy Latimer I would do whatever I would want to do.....just to see him smiling in a picture is a bonus. Maybe The Snow Goose strikes a deep chord inside. Rave on...

edit: I would rather  this compared to Peter Gabriel,s playing pussy scratching everyones back and visa versa with 99% of the material being sh*te.

Edited by Chris S - October 10 2013 at 18:34
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 18:13
Add me to the list of people who aren't too interested in the rerecording. Seeing The Snow Goose on stage would be interesting and I certainly wouldn't pass up the opportunity, but a studio rerecording which makes a point of being "faithful to the original" feels redundant - it's not as though the original has any particularly glaring flaws or has even begun to sound dated over time. (Who buys rerecordings anyway? I don't see the point if you already own and like the original album, but equally I don't know anyone who, given the choice between the original version of an album they haven't heard before and a rerecording of it, would say "Yeah, I'll give the rerecording a try, I'm going to pass on the version which was the actual megahit for the time being.")

If artists insist on doing rerecordings, I'd much rather they did one of two things:

a) Take a radically different approach to the old material to produce an interestingly divergent alternate take on the classic album in question - then it's more likely that fans of the original will give the rerecording a try, and it'd stimulate interesting comparisons between the two.

b) Don't do it to one of their classic albums. Instead, give the rerecording treatment to a less successful release. Most albums of an age where they start considering doing rerecordings are going to have an album or two in their discography which fell short of their usual standards: take the opportunity to make it right, guys! Retool or replace the songs which just didn't work, give a definitive treatment to the songs that did, and you could rehabilitate an otherwise overlooked portion of your legacy.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 14:34
I would imagine that after all the emotions that Andy and everyone around him have gone through over the last six years he might well have the most amazing album of his whole career locked up inside him. I would also imagine that he his going to gauge public reaction to the forthcoming comeback tour before expending any energy in bringing whatever new material he may have in him to fruition.

Whatever transpires, it is just fantastic after the awful prognosis he was given in the early stages of his illness, that he is still with us at all - never mind re-recording and performing the Snow Goose to a live audience again.

Camel went through a good few dark phases over the course of their history, and emerged from each and every one of them even stronger than before...Let's hope history repeats itself again, eh?  Smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 14:04
They could have done Jonathan Livingston Seagul, or Fly Away Home...

...or Happy Feet...
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>