Topic ClosedCamel have re-recorded The Snow Goose

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camel have re-recorded The Snow Goose
    Posted: October 09 2013 at 18:02

Camel have re-recorded The Snow Goose

As a taster for the upcoming shows, The Snow Goose has been lovingly re-recorded.  
Faithful to the original with tasty arrangements and enhancements for stage presentation, The Snow Goose is not only a timeless story of love and war.  It is a tale of dignity and kindness lifted to the heart on the wings of an injured Snow Goose through her unique relationship with two humans.  Written by Paul Gallico, this short story inspired this beautiful music. 

Snow Goose CD cover

Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 18:08
Wow, that's interesting! So is this a live `in the studio' recording, or a worked on production?

Is it getting a CD or vinyl release, or just available as a download?

I'm certain I recall the news they were playing the whole album on some upcoming shows?
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 18:24
Awe--some. Would like to hear it.
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 18:46
the have a new  key player Jason Hart from Renaissance  this is from facebook 
Jason Hart, Camel's new entry:

"SO EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE MY BIG NEWS: I am here in England rehearsing with one of my all-time favorite bands: CAMEL! I am playing second keyboards and a bit of guitar and background vocals on their Snow Goose tour starting on October 19th. Thanks to Guy LeBlanc, Colin Bass, Denis Clement and of course the amazing Andy Latimer for their faith in me. The band sounds great and we are looking forward to sharing what we've been brewing up with all the Camel fans out there. Cheers 

i I love Camel but usually such re-records are pointless [ tubular bells everybody ..] ... I hope Andy will prove me wrong .but how about new material.they must have something for next year [ i hope so ] .anyways whenever got the new version is welcome. 
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 18:53
Damn, that's a nice `Mirage' t-shirt in that photo, wouldn't mind snapping up one of those!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 21:32
Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

the have a new  key player <span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13.333333015441895px; line-height: 18px;">Jason Hart from Renaissance  this is from facebook </span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13.333333015441895px; line-height: 18px;">Jason Hart, Camel's new entry:</span>
<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13.333333015441895px; line-height: 18px;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13.333333015441895px; line-height: 18px;">"SO EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE MY BIG NEWS: I am here in England rehearsing with one of my all-time favorite bands: CAMEL! I am playing second keyboards and a bit of guitar and background vocals on their Snow Goose tour starting on October 19th. Thanks to Guy LeBlanc, Colin Bass, Denis Clement and of course the amazing Andy Latimer for their faith in me. The band sounds great and we are looking forward to sharing what we've been brewing up with all the Camel fans out there. Cheers </span>
i<span -reactid=".rcar1.141comment523799441047862_1564363.0.right.0.left.0.0.02" style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11.333333015441895px; : rgb237, 239, 244;"> </span><span -ft=""tn":"K"" -reactid=".rcar1.141comment523799441047862_1564363.0.right.0.left.0.0.03" style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11.333333015441895px; : rgb237, 239, 244;"><span -reactid=".rcar1.141comment523799441047862_1564363.0.right.0.left.0.0.03.0"><span -reactid=".rcar1.141comment523799441047862_1564363.0.right.0.left.0.0.03.0.0">I love Camel but usually such re-records are pointless [ tubular bells everybody ..] ... I hope Andy will prove me wrong .but how about new material.they must have something for next year [ i hope so ] .anyways whenever got the new version is welcome. </span></span></span>

I'm not so sure about the pointlesness of this re-recordings. About the Tubular Bells one, actually the one I have is the 2003 re-recording, and I actually love it. However, since I don't really know the original, I'm not one to say which one is better... though I can compare it with the intro which is so famous I have it in a few compilation albums, and I actually like better how it sounds in the re-recorded version, specially because it's got a wonderful bass which is barely audible in the original one. There's also the "Aqualung" re-recording, which would seem even more pointless than the Tubular Bells one, but I actually enjoy more many of the songs on the newer version (specially the shorter less famous ones). However, I'm still not particularly thrilled about this particular new version... I feel the one I have from "A Live Record" is more than enough for me.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 21:59
Why not?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2013 at 22:13
Meh.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
torete View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 02:03
vinyl release?
adace1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 05:31
That's nice, but I was really hoping for some new material. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 07:09
I don't generally see the point in rerecording classics, but I will give this a listen.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 10:30
Andy looks good in the picture.  So happy to still have him with us
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 10:35
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Andy looks good in the picture.  So happy to still have him with us

My sentiments exactly. Quite a fright he gave us.

Regarding the re-recording of The Snow Goose? Meh just like Phil I guess. I've never understood the need to do this as an artist, unless you're completely bereft of musical imagination. Could be just that though, but I hope not.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 11:10
Well, I guess I'm wondering if they were working up the album for live performance, and just decided they liked their arrangement of it so much that they felt they should record it.  If that is the case, then I guess it's kind of cool, but I'd prefer to just hear it on a live album (or better still, at the actual show).  In any case, it's great to see Andy looking so good and Camel back in any kind of action.  Hopefully new material won't be far off.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 13:30
Very interesting news!
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 13:30
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Meh.

This. At least they changed the bad artwork.

Edited by Horizons - October 10 2013 at 13:31
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 14:04
They could have done Jonathan Livingston Seagul, or Fly Away Home...

...or Happy Feet...
What?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 14:34
I would imagine that after all the emotions that Andy and everyone around him have gone through over the last six years he might well have the most amazing album of his whole career locked up inside him. I would also imagine that he his going to gauge public reaction to the forthcoming comeback tour before expending any energy in bringing whatever new material he may have in him to fruition.

Whatever transpires, it is just fantastic after the awful prognosis he was given in the early stages of his illness, that he is still with us at all - never mind re-recording and performing the Snow Goose to a live audience again.

Camel went through a good few dark phases over the course of their history, and emerged from each and every one of them even stronger than before...Let's hope history repeats itself again, eh?  Smile
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 18:13
Add me to the list of people who aren't too interested in the rerecording. Seeing The Snow Goose on stage would be interesting and I certainly wouldn't pass up the opportunity, but a studio rerecording which makes a point of being "faithful to the original" feels redundant - it's not as though the original has any particularly glaring flaws or has even begun to sound dated over time. (Who buys rerecordings anyway? I don't see the point if you already own and like the original album, but equally I don't know anyone who, given the choice between the original version of an album they haven't heard before and a rerecording of it, would say "Yeah, I'll give the rerecording a try, I'm going to pass on the version which was the actual megahit for the time being.")

If artists insist on doing rerecordings, I'd much rather they did one of two things:

a) Take a radically different approach to the old material to produce an interestingly divergent alternate take on the classic album in question - then it's more likely that fans of the original will give the rerecording a try, and it'd stimulate interesting comparisons between the two.

b) Don't do it to one of their classic albums. Instead, give the rerecording treatment to a less successful release. Most albums of an age where they start considering doing rerecordings are going to have an album or two in their discography which fell short of their usual standards: take the opportunity to make it right, guys! Retool or replace the songs which just didn't work, give a definitive treatment to the songs that did, and you could rehabilitate an otherwise overlooked portion of your legacy.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 18:31
^ I for one don't care, if I was Andy Latimer I would do whatever I would want to do.....just to see him smiling in a picture is a bonus. Maybe The Snow Goose strikes a deep chord inside. Rave on...

edit: I would rather  this compared to Peter Gabriel,s playing pussy scratching everyones back and visa versa with 99% of the material being sh*te.

Edited by Chris S - October 10 2013 at 18:34
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>