Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Rolling Stones (favourite songs, thoughts...)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Rolling Stones (favourite songs, thoughts...)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 15:49
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Another great song released at that time is the B-side to "We Love You"..."Dandelion" Wink
Yeah, I dig "Dandelion" a lot. Funny how it's pure catchy trippy-pop yet played in that loose bordeline sloppy Stones manner, giving the tune an almost sinister undercurrent. Then again, even when trying to sound sincere, Mick always had a bit of 'sneer' to his voice.

They were no slouches when it came to B-sides. Was "Let's Spend The Night Together" or "Ruby Tuesday" the initial B-side...or was it a planned double A-side maybe? And as I mentioned earlier, I think "Child Of The Moon" was a great B-side to "Jumpin' Jack Flash".

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I've read that We Love You was the Stones commenting on their early drug bust/and the attending hoopla  and I think Lennon is even on that track somewhere.

Yeah, and I think he's also in TSMR's "Sing This All Together", one of those tunes that probably was a lot more fun to make than listen to after the drugs wore off, it's ok I guess (better than "Gomper").
I think that's right   ....and Gomper and Sing are the 2 weakest tracks on there.
btw...I actually have an original vinyl with the holographic cover image....vinyl's not in great shape though.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 17:35
Satanic Majesties Request    Every second of the album is pure colour to these ears. Even that sinister end bit after 'Sing This All Together (See What Happens) - wtf were they doing there ?? The mellotron work is fantastic, and some of those whacky ideas (In Another Land vocals, for example) sure hit the spot. I prefer this album to Sgt. Pepper's.....
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 23:49

.....but I think Goat's Head and It's Only Rock n Roll are solid lp's. After that I don't own any Stones.

Some Girls is worth owning too, some good stuff on there. After that...meh. Of course, one of their biggest songs is "Start Me Up" from 1981, but it even began as a reggae song during the Goat's Head Soup sessions.

Magma America Great Make Again
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 01:01
Been through the Stones phase, from Aftermath through to Steel Wheels and only hung onto a precious few LP's of theirs in my collection. There's decent tracks to be found on all these albums, albeit in varying amounts and quality. I've been indulging in 'Sticky Fingers' a lot lately (I was lucky enough to have been given a lightly scuffed German pressing with a real, working zipper on the cover)- which features a longish tune 'Can't You Here Me Knocking' (7:17) - the first 2+ minutes has the vocals but the last 5 mins is a great jam which reminds me of something by the Prog band 'Tonton Macoute' (I think track 2 - 'Don't Make Me Cry). The Stones definitely had their moments.

Edited by Tom Ozric - October 19 2013 at 22:46
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 11:38
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

.....but I think Goat's Head and It's Only Rock n Roll are solid lp's. After that I don't own any Stones.

Some Girls is worth owning too, some good stuff on there. After that...meh. Of course, one of their biggest songs is "Start Me Up" from 1981, but it even began as a reggae song during the Goat's Head Soup sessions.

I misspoke ..I have Some Girls....don't play it anymore. I got sick and tired of hearing Start Me Up on every damn radio station.

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 11:42
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Been through the Stones phase, from Aftermath through to Steel Wheels and only hung onto a precious few LP's in my collection. There's decent tracks to be found on all these albums, albeit in varying amounts and quality. I've been indulging in 'Sticky Fingers' a lot lately (I was lucky enough to have been given a lightly scuffed German pressing with a real, working zipper on the cover)- which features a longish tune 'Can't You Here Me Knocking' (7:17) - the first 2+ minutes has the vocals but the last 5 mins is a great jam which reminds me of something by the Prog band 'Tonton Macoute' (I think track 2 - 'Don't Make Me Cry). The Stones definitely had their moments.
Sticky Fingers is a very good rock lp......
I used to have a zipper cover but it got trashed in the old days so I bought another plain one a while later.
I wish they had written a title track ....would love to hear Jagger's lyrics to that.
Wink
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 16:22
'Bitch' is an awesome track !! It almost has a different sound to the rest of the album, perhaps a touch psych....? Almost 'West Coast' sounding......
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 22:51

'Bitch' is an awesome track !! It almost has a different sound to the rest of the album, perhaps a touch psych....? Almost 'West Coast' sounding......
It reminds me of the horn tracks on Spirits 12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 22:55
^ I know nothing of 'Spirit' - is that the band with Randy California ??
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 23:04

^ I know nothing of 'Spirit' - is that the band with Randy California ??
Yes, California and Jay ferguson et al......these guys were friggin awesome imho.. one of the best West Coast rockers with some really interesting style combinations.
12 Dreams is considered their masterpiece but I love all of their lp's.
Have one of your favorite drinks..sit back and play the whole thing. It's kind of a thematic or concept lp but the songs still stand alone well enough.
ps..the original lp ends at Soldier......

Edited by dr wu23 - October 19 2013 at 23:08
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 00:15
Cool - I'll be checking this out, thanks . RC guested on Hammill's 'Silent Corner, Empty Stage' album - the song 'Red Shift'. I recall seeing Spirit LP's at fairs but never looked into them, cheers for the link
NYSPORTSFAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 08:11

Satanic Majesties Request    Every second of the album is pure colour to these ears. Even that sinister end bit after 'Sing This All Together (See What Happens) - wtf were they doing there ?? The mellotron work is fantastic, and some of those whacky ideas (In Another Land vocals, for example) sure hit the spot. I prefer this album to Sgt. Pepper's.....

I love the sounds on Their Satanic Majesties Request also. The only psychedelic album I actually prefer it to is Magical Mystery Tour.I think Mic said it was only listening to Sgt. Pepper that made him think psychedelic music was the way to go. I always thought people were way too harsh on The Rolling Stones calling them bandwagon jumpers.

The Rolling Stones are one of my favorite rock bands but it's only the music of their 1960's and 70's period that interest me. Most of their music from the last twenty five years is just OK to me.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 14:36
Where The Beatles carefully calculated their compositions on 'Sgt. Pepper's', The Stones took an 'everything including the kitchen sink' approach to theirs. It's just such a crazy album.
Moving on, I thought the song 'Harlem Shuffle' was pretty decent.
.......I could never stand that Jagger/Iggy Pop(?) song 'Walk And Don't Look Back' or whatever it's called..... and 'Dancing In The Streets'......
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 16:34

Moving on, I thought the song 'Harlem Shuffle' was pretty decent.

Most, but not all, of their cover songs were pretty good. Speaking of cover versions, there have been some interesting and original ones of Stones songs over the years...

Magma America Great Make Again
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 20:04
I like Devo's "Satisfaction" more than the original!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 09:39

'Can't You Here Me Knocking' (7:17) - the first 2+ minutes has the vocals but the last 5 mins is a great jam which reminds me of something by the Prog band 'Tonton Macoute' (I think track 2 - 'Don't Make Me Cry). The Stones definitely had their moments.

That is actually my favorite Stones track.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 09:55
One of the best Stones songs that really didn't have that much to do with all of the Stones.LOL

Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 13:27
I may not see the faces in the Caress Of Steel cover-art, but, I find a vague resemblance between the Stones track 'Can You Hear The Music', and, early Brainticket !! Or maybe it's just the Hippie vibe that comes through thick and strong.......
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 17:22

One of the best Stones songs that really didn't have that much to do with all of the Stones.LOL 

This was totally cool & I had only seen a couple of those photos before...thanks for posting Wink
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 22:20
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

This was totally cool & I had only seen a couple of those photos before...thanks for posting Wink
Glad you enjoyed it..one of my favorite 'Stones ' songs. The film Performance is kind of interesting in a  weird way. I bought the vinyl soundtrack back in the old days since that was the only way you could get that song until they put it on a Stones collection many years later.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>