FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbest mp3 player for progmusic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: best mp3 player for progmusic
    Posted: October 13 2013 at 12:45
What is the best mp3 player for the prog music?

Sony walkman or ipod, or others....
EricFriedman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 19:46
I don't see why one device would be better for one genre and not another. Portable players are all about convenience, so get whatever works for you. For example, my car has iPod hookups, so I got an iPod. 
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 20:35
iPods are pretty good, and fairly cheap if they're a few gens old
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 09:57
It's all in the sound formatting. I reccomend FLAC or 320 Kilobyte digital file formats.

APPLE's lossless audio Format on I Tunes is pretty good as well.

As far as devices are concerned though. Just get an I-POD from APPLE. The software is so simple to use. Can't go wrong.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 20:16
As for myself, I hate Apple stuff and want nothing to do with iTunes LOL so I go with a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ with 8Gig and a SanDisk 32Gig expansion card.  I do all my MP3 playlists and stuff in Windows Media Player.  As Nick mentioned, the Apple stuff is definitely more user friendly, though once you conquer the steeper learning curve of Media Player you'll be ready to roll.

I currently have 1,165 songs (123 hours) of prog on the expansion card (all songs in 256k "high quality" mp3 format) and still have room on the card for about another 90 hrs and room on the player for about another 50 hrs...it's incredible how much music you can stuff on these things Wacko
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 13:04
^ oh I wouldn't fight ya on whatever frustrations you have with apple. They keep updating and changing their software every freakin dam month it seems. :(
Constant re-formatting can be annoying. It becomes less accessable, but as far as the quality of an I-Pod in general. I stand by it. I have a fist generation Nano I pod I got back in 2006 and it still works beautifully and the battery life is still the same until I have to recharge it again. It's quality, but the newer pods these days have color of course so they go through battery life pretty quickly. I have an 80 gig classic I pod as well and I get probably 7 to 8hrs of playing time in total till its time to refuel it. Lol.
albertobevi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 14:16
In my opinion a very special aspect is that I hate to hear a pause between songs and the other. In your player do you hear it? In my sony walkman I hear it very much.

Edited by albertobevi - October 16 2013 at 14:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 15:42
Originally posted by albertobevi albertobevi wrote:

In my opinion a very special aspect is that I hate to hear a pause between songs and the other. In your player do you hear it? In my sony walkman I hear it very much.

My SanDisk doesn't do that...and it is crucial for the way our beloved prog songs blend into each other.  I'm not so sure that's a function of the player as much as the tool that puts the mp3's on it???  I believe there's a setting in Windows Media Player to disable a gap between songs.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 15:45
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I have an 80 gig classic I pod as well and I get probably 7 to 8hrs of playing time in total till its time to refuel it. Lol.

Ya, mine runs out of gas about every 8 hours too LOL
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 16:45
Really? Please help me. Someone know this setting in windows media player?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 06:56

I agree with the person who said that genre shouldn't make any difference. You just need one with loads of space for all those long songs.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 08:16
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

My SanDisk doesn't do that...and it is crucial for the way our beloved prog songs blend into each other.  I'm not so sure that's a function of the player as much as the tool that puts the mp3's on it???  I believe there's a setting in Windows Media Player to disable a gap between songs.

For apple. It's the CD AUTOCORRECT feature that you can check off before you import your cd into your music library. Also, on the I-Pod itself is an audio CROSSFADE feature that you can use to blend every track one after another. :)

Also. I think 8hrs is a fair trade off from silly vinyl inconveniences.   

Pop...skip....turnover...warp!! Sounds like a bad sound effects for a dated Batman cartoon feat. Adam West.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 15:31

Just had a look around and here's what I found...fyi I'm running a new OS8 box with w media player version 12.0.92...

1) The only "gap" option to be found in w media player is on the "burn" option page so shouldn't effect the sync function
2) Verified that my SanDisk does not have any gaps/clicks/delays of any kind between tracks
3) Just looked for any kind of crossfade option on my SanDisk and there's none there

So as Nick pointed out the iTunes/iPod environment seems to have the tools to address your gap issue, though I'm puzzled as to why your mp3 player is doing this in the first place.  Have you listened to the song transitions in w media player to verify the problem is not your actual mp3 files?  If it transitions clean in media player but gaps in your mp3 player, I'd have to look at the mp3 player.  Does your manufacturer offer a support or forum site?  I'd post this question there as well...Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2013 at 17:49
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Just had a look around and here's what I found...fyi I'm running a new OS8 box with w media player version 12.0.92...
1) The only "gap" option to be found in w media player is on the "burn" option page so shouldn't effect the sync function
2) Verified that my SanDisk does not have any gaps/clicks/delays of any kind between tracks
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">3) Just looked for any kind of crossfade option on my SanDisk and there's none there</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">So as Nick pointed out the iTunes/iPod environment seems to have the tools to address your gap issue, though I'm puzzled as to why your mp3 player is doing this in the first place.  Have you listened to the song transitions in w media player to verify the problem is not your actual mp3 files?  If it transitions clean in media player but gaps in your mp3 player, I'd have to look at the mp3 player.  Does your manufacturer offer a support or forum site?  I'd post this question there as well...Wink</span>

I'd be shocked if the problem with the track gap was with the device itself and not the software. Personally I think it's the software and maybe 'autocorrect' features are not offered with windows media player. I'm really all for Apple when it comes to the digital device and the software that goes with it. I've never had a problem. Importing music is a breeze, especially using high speed FireWire connection. Excellent. :)
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 01:43
The problem is the device, I have try with other 2 player and with the same album (dark side of the moon), and the same windows media player, and the problem doesn't exist.
So the solution is try the player before purchase
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 10:43
I had a 40Gb fourth gen iPlod - it was carp. Sent back to Apple twice (which means I owned three different devices as Apple repair is actually an exchange ). I eventually took it pieces, ripped out the 40Gb microdrive and fitted a 8Gb compact flash ... which for my Prog collection is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I then bought a 5" 250Gb Archos which I loved until the battery died - I replace the battery then decided to upgrade to a 500Gb newer model, which is fine except they have replaced the functional Archos-OS with a decidely non-functional port of Android. I primarily keep both as backup storage for my mp3 collection and only use it around the house for playing music. For out-and-about listening, like on a train or plane I now use a smaller 3" 8Gb Archos, however 8Gb is still too small for my liking.

Media Players seem to have bucked Moore's Law, their storage capacity is getting smaller not bigger but as I seem to be alone in having a problem with that I assume it's not such a big issue for most people.

In terms of quality they are all the same - the DAC chips they use are pretty much copies of each other and offer the same performance (and this is true of any CD player or external DAC too - ignore the hype, it's only technobabble sales-pitch)

Edited by Dean - October 18 2013 at 10:44
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2013 at 10:56

...actually, my preferred media player is one of these

(Kenwood car Radio/CD with iPlod, USB and 3.5mm Jack I/P)

with a couple of these:
(16Gb USB JetFlash)

What?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 11:39
I purchased the sandisk sansa clip 8gb, and is perfect, without any pause or gap between tracks. I've listened Dark Side On The Moon like on CD. thanks for the tip Crimson King!

Edited by albertobevi - October 22 2013 at 11:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2013 at 13:13

I purchased the sandisk sansa clip 8gb, and is perfect, without any pause or gap between tracks. I've listened Dark Side On The Moon like on CD. thanks for the tip Crimson King!

Great news Handshake

And if you find you need more than 8GB, I just bought the SanDisk 32GB memory stick that plugs into that slot on the lower right side...cost me about $25.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 08:17
I have a 20€ mp3 reader on which I invested in 3x32GB MicroSD cards and 100€ for Marshall headphones.
Being mp3 a "digital" format, headphones are what makes the difference IMO.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>