Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKashmir

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Preferred version from the choices.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.26%]
2 [5.26%]
8 [21.05%]
26 [68.42%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kashmir
    Posted: October 14 2013 at 02:38
So which is the numero uno? The original version, the extended eastern promise of the fuly orchestral rock (prog) version by the dynamic duo, the fabulous orchestral version, or Puffy Daddy's (as the artist formerly known as Puff) version with Jimmy Page. Not sure this poll has been done, if so, mea culpa, if not vote anyway.

I know there are other versions, Dixie Dregs' (I've not heard it) and Jethro Tull's, not officially released. Tempted to include a number of Rainbow tracks but ... I won't.

Interested in reasons as well.

Lynx33 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 10:27
Puff!
Mindez elmúlt. Ma már tudom köszönteni a szépséget.
Lynx33 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 10:28
Though, the original is good too, of courseSmile.
Mindez elmúlt. Ma már tudom köszönteni a szépséget.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 11:04
The original, although I quite like the Page/Plant version.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 11:04
The Page and Plant version is excellent, a little more empasis on the middle eastern influences is just what this song needs.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 11:29
Going with the Page/Plant version since the song lends so well to live settings. I also heard the Sex Pistols do it, which was quite beautiful in its own way. At least Johnny Rotten thought so.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 11:40
Original...but there's a ripping version on Kevin Gilbert's 1995 ep "Kashmir" Wink 
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 11:59
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

The Page and Plant version is excellent, a little more empasis on the middle eastern influences is just what this song needs.

I voted for the original version, but I love that Page & Plant version - the entire album is simply brilliant, in fact. It's everything I wanted from a reunion, and more. (Walking Into Clarksdale, on the other hand, was very disappointing. What were they thinking, using Steve Albini as producer?!? Dumbest move ever...)
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 12:14
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I voted for the original version, but I love that Page & Plant version - the entire album is simply brilliant, in fact. It's everything I wanted from a reunion, and more. (Walking Into Clarksdale, on the other hand, was very disappointing. What were they thinking, using Steve Albini as producer?!? Dumbest move ever...)

Yep that 1994 album is very unique, love that one. But actually Walking Into Clarksdale works just fine for me, production is a little muddy but still I really dig it.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 15:48
Clearly the Led Zeppelin version, so raw and just brilliant but I did sort of like the Symphonic one but it just isn't the same...

Edited by Xonty - October 14 2013 at 15:48
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 16:43
None. Bit of a boring song
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 22:59
I haven't heard the Symphonic version, so I'd like to know more about it. Is it just an orchestra playing it? Or are there some members of the band in it too? Does someone sing?

On the other hand, I'm afraid I have heard the Puff Daddy version, which I hope never happens again... well, if I got to listen to it again, I might just as well not dislike it as much as I remember, who knows? I'm not particularly fond of the idea of giving it a try again.

Now, there's the original version and the Unledded version, and I really love both of them. Of course the original is a real classic, and it includes John Bonham, which is really great and gives a great deal of the power of this song. However, I've come to enjoy a bit more the Unledded one. The main theme played with real strings sound real great, and you can actually hear Plant doing some rather cool guitar work too. And the bunch of eastern percussions sound great too, so that Bonham isn't so sorely missed (though the aproach is, of course, totally different). And the song is kind of less monotonous. I think the new version played by Led Zeppelin last year, or something like that, which was just released, may just as well have been a good option on this poll too... though I only hear it once, I remember it had some nice moments too, I think it's the one with the most prominent use of guitar, which is kind of nice too.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 23:07
Another unusual version of this great song is performed on cello by Maya Beiser.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 01:07
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I haven't heard the Symphonic version, so I'd like to know more about it. Is it just an orchestra playing it? Or are there some members of the band in it too? Does someone sing?

On the other hand, I'm afraid I have heard the Puff Daddy version, which I hope never happens again... well, if I got to listen to it again, I might just as well not dislike it as much as I remember, who knows? I'm not particularly fond of the idea of giving it a try again.

Now, there's the original version and the Unledded version, and I really love both of them. Of course the original is a real classic, and it includes John Bonham, which is really great and gives a great deal of the power of this song. However, I've come to enjoy a bit more the Unledded one. The main theme played with real strings sound real great, and you can actually hear Plant doing some rather cool guitar work too. And the bunch of eastern percussions sound great too, so that Bonham isn't so sorely missed (though the aproach is, of course, totally different). And the song is kind of less monotonous. I think the new version played by Led Zeppelin last year, or something like that, which was just released, may just as well have been a good option on this poll too... though I only hear it once, I remember it had some nice moments too, I think it's the one with the most prominent use of guitar, which is kind of nice too.

I cannot rate that Symphonic Zeppelin highly enough. To me it is a first rate orchestration - a lot of details and theme development ( a near 10 minute Going To California for instance. I think Steve Hacektt fans may like it as well. Well, I know one who does. It's a very lyrical album and Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke) did some great work. I must admit to still being taken aback by the journey Levee Breaks has taken: from the ukele backed vocal via the Zeppelin-izated version to an orchestral piece. ANyway I've played this to many people and most have really enjoyed it.

Puff Daddy's version. I think Page's aprticiipation was to keep his name alive in a time when Pqge and Pllant were not the biggest album selling band on the planet. Seems there's a lot in a name.

One thing about the Zep original. I found it a tad dull at first and wondered why it was so highly rated. But I found when I listen to the drums and upwards (as opposed to most "normal" pop or rock tunes - then the harmonic arrangements became clear. I had to change (progress?) my mode of listening. Well, it worked for me anyway.

No such requirement for the Page and Plant version as the orchestrations are way up front in stead of buried in the mid range. Now it easily fills it's roughly 15 minute form. Magnificent.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 02:14
one of the live versions from the mid-70s,  maybe Seattle '75

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2013 at 22:26
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I cannot rate that Symphonic Zeppelin highly enough. To me it is a first rate orchestration - a lot of details and theme development ( a near 10 minute Going To California for instance. I think Steve Hacektt fans may like it as well. Well, I know one who does. It's a very lyrical album and Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke) did some great work. I must admit to still being taken aback by the journey Levee Breaks has taken: from the ukele backed vocal via the Zeppelin-izated version to an orchestral piece. ANyway I've played this to many people and most have really enjoyed it.Puff Daddy's version. I think Page's aprticiipation was to keep his name alive in a time when Pqge and Pllant were not the biggest album selling band on the planet. Seems there's a lot in a name.One thing about the Zep original. I found it a tad dull at first and wondered why it was so highly rated. But I found when I listen to the drums and upwards (as opposed to most "normal" pop or rock tunes - then the harmonic arrangements became clear. I had to change (progress?) my mode of listening. Well, it worked for me anyway.No such requirement for the Page and Plant version as the orchestrations are way up front in stead of buried in the mid range. Now it easily fills it's roughly 15 minute form. Magnificent.

As a matter of fact, I don't really like the last minutes of the Unledded version of the song... which I believe even runs through the credits on the video. However, I even think those last minutes are actually credited as another song (though I'm not sure if that's the case in both the CD and the DVD, or only one of them, nor am I sure if they are separated by changing tracks or not... I think on the CD it isn't).
 Post Reply Post Reply