Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 12:51
Ah yes, The Red Masque..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2014 at 14:52
Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread, having found some stuff recently that I think fits it.

This gentleman does these incredibly detailed and rather disturbing coffee-based surrealistic animated short films. The style reminds me of a very twisted take on Alex Grey's output. (he's best known for the cover art he did for several Tool records)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
PC-72 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 09:40
I am seconding the following:

Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/zdislav-beksinski

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I've always been a fan of Bosch

and my friend Bill turned me onto this book

And because I am either blind or really don't see the late H. R. Giger mentioned anywhere, I'll just innocently mention his delightfully nightmarish body of work...
A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 04:01
My immediate guess is that he'd be too obvious a choice and well known. Either that, or the fact most of of his art isn't safe for work at all.

Here's some more stuff from Dangerous Minds: Rather disturbing Soviet anti-religious propaganda. Why no metal/punk/industrial music group has used any of those as album covers is a mystery to me.

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2014 at 08:57
There's a local artist in my hometown named Erin Mulligan who I just saw an exhibit of.  Here's an article with a sampling of her work - there's a definite Dali and Bosch influence at play here:

http://www.cantonart.org/erin-mulligan-exhibition

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 16:36
This woman creates convincing realistic landscapes through embroidering yarn.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 01:49
Now that people mentioned Harry Bosch: On the subject of Captain Beefheart's ancestors, I've also gotta mention Pieter Brueghel the Elder. He pioneered the entire Dutch-Flemish style of elaborate motifs of low-down peasantry, disturbing fantastic motifs with a high attention to detail and an overall feel of filth and decay to it? His aesthetic's got a very distinctive feeling to it, that's rather immersive but also difficult to describe properly.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 02:48
Reminds me of this thread.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2014 at 04:39
Forgot to mention that this weekend I've been to an art exhibition here in Copenhagen, my favourite of the artists exhibited was Karina Kejser Bøhl who does these fantastic close-to-monochrome paintings of abandoned buildings and forest landscapes. The others included potter/painter Ruth Lorenzen and Morten Ingemann who's best known as a political cartoonist but also exhibited several more serious paintings in a grotesque surrealist style.

Will look into the oeuvres of Mati Klarwein and Robert Pollard after Dayvenkirq linked to that previous similarly-themed thread.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 05:07
People frequently joke that the famous Citröen DS looks like something from a different planet or even 60 years later still resembles a car of the future. Well, Jacob Munkhammar has photoshopped a bunch of old Citröens of several models to look like futuristic hovercars.

If less technological motifs are more your bag, you might like Rogan Brown's paper sculptures of microscopic forms found in nature both organic and mineral. Some of them look more like alien winter landscapes or decidedly Freudian.

(yes, I'll later on try to find some more material that isn't just reblogged from Dangerous Minds)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 06:18
Red a while ago about an artist who contracetd and survived cancer of the pineal gland, of all things. The resulting paintings about the ordeal turn out to be quite something, insanely detailed and trippy. Would make for quite good progressive rock cover art, also kind of reminds me of both Philip K. Dick's VALIS and Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus Trilogy.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 06:56
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I'm  a fan of surrealism in all it's forms .....Dali, Magritte, Varos, Delvaux, etc....
here's a link to Varos

Creation of the Birds

We have a winner! Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 05:23
Got a biography of her, complete with lots of illustrations, as a Christmas present last year but haven't read it yet. Will get around to that probably when I'm done with my master's thesis.

Here's some more nominations, rather disturbing dark fantasy/gothic horror stuff by Polar Maya and Don Kenn. The latter in particular draws like a deranged and evil version of Hayao Miyazaki.
Donny Doom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 20:27
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/zdislav-beksinski

WOW totally wicked!
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 20:36

"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 19:19
I've been always admiring Napalm by Banksy

Edited by Darious - September 16 2014 at 19:20
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 14:15
Check out these paintings by a 5-year old autistic girl named Iris Carter. Almost Monet-esque.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 15:33
Here's some very complex collages involving anatomical and plant motifs in often morbid combinations. They're very large and complex, not too dissimilar from the infamous Voynich Manuscript.
lilith keogh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 16:40
Hi! I see that the link Toaster Mantis put out for my tumblr page is not working since I changed it when I changed my name from Lillit to Lilith.
The correct url is now lilithkeogh.tumblr.com

Star
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>