Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 19:33
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Have to say I find both Wobbler and Astra pretty boring based on what I've heard. I also didn't like Angalgards last album.Glass Hammer are my favourite retro prog band. I need some warmth in my symphonic prog which those other bands seem to lack. The icey Scadanvian approach probably not my thing.

While I disagree with regard to Astra, I understand when it comes to Wobbler. The first much-hyped album (Hinterland) is by-the-numbers 70s love fest. Nothing really sticks out. On that one, they emulate the "style" but they don't make it their own. I've still not heard Afterglow but the third one, Rites At Dawn, I like much, much better than the first.

Glass Hammer is a band I used to like a lot. For whatever reason, their "flavour" of prog doesn't sit as well as it once did. Chronometree is my fave but I don't think it's as blatantly Yes-derivative as their later works. I respect those guys, though.

I agree about Hinterland.  It's quite enjoyable and great fun but I don't think it's nearly as deep or rewarding as repeated listenings to Astra's "The Weirding".  <span style="line-height: 1.2;">Chronometree was one of those modern prog albums I loved at first hear...I thought I'd discovered a prog holy grail...and after the initial one week glow I never went back to it and traded the cd away.  Same as the first Magna Carta album.  For me they were all flash and no substance.</span>

The Weirding is the one I have by Astra but only managed one listen but will give it another go. Chronomotree is very ELP like at times. Amazing keyboard runs by Fred Schendel that are hard to ignore if you like that sort of thing (obviously I do!!). Vocally it misses the mark and Glass Hammer took a massive step forward when they employed a full time drummer from The Inconsolable Secret onwards. It would be a bit dangerous to dismiss them on the basis of an album made 14 years ago (they have made several since) but you are of course fully entitled to your opinionSmile

I hear you, but I have so much more new music and bands to explore than I have time, so no 2nd chances.  Glass Hammer had their shot - even though it was 14 yrs ago LOL

Well, aside from modernity that CRIMSO box set: ROAD TO RED (24disc) will keep you indulged into the classics for a bit. :) Enjoy.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 20:01
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Well, aside from modernity that CRIMSO box set: ROAD TO RED (24disc) will keep you indulged into the classics for a bit. :) Enjoy.

Thanks old buddy, should be here any day now...it's going to be a very Crimson Halloween Evil Smile
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 20:14

Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Modern prog lacks melody, character and authenticity.

Dude, you miss out on so much amazing progressive music by outright dismissing modern stuff altogether.

So many inventive and exciting bands working in a variety of progressive genres to discover!

Don't simply hang on to a few albums from a small period of time and miss everything else.

I couldn't agree more. Dismissing 21st century Prog is a big no no....somebody operate on Dr. Prog!!

Ageism in the prog community is the very antithesis of what prog represents. The word "prog" should imply "progress". How can music move forward if we keep looking backward as though we've already left behind our potential to create new masterpieces? That, my friends, is regressive, not progressive.

Don't throw away the classics by any means, but don't put them on an inflated pedestal. You miss out on the amazing things going on in today's music scene. And there is some truly amazing stuff going on today. Some of it better than the classic stuff by miles in my opinion.

After stating that observation that I hope was communicated as a humble thought, I'm going to start a fight by interjecting my opinion of such examples, because that's the proper social convention for posting on the internet. The new Haken album, Riverside's last two, the new Anglagard album, and Discipline's most recent album are examples that have come out within the past 5 years that I like better than the ENTIRE YES DISCOGRAPHY. There, I said it. Not trolling either. And I'm not sorry. Commence bashing Tongue

Entire YES catalog?? Well...actually I would say most of it, especially Close To The Edge...not all of it. Also, you don't sound trolling at all. My opinion is that you bring up a fair point that I am in partial agreement with, but be careful by not contradicting yourself because you brought up a great point about 'not dismissing' the classics or discriminating against them. Saying that 'All Yes' is inferior to the likes of your modern hero's in music may be discriminatory. Lol.

Otherwise. I've enjoyed your point. :)

Haha thanks! Glad you took the time to read it and found something positive and likeable from it Smile

I do want to say though that I didn't say all of Yes was inferior. I just said I like those albums I listed more than Yes personally. I have nothing against them, they're just not my preference by comparison.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 20:19

Thanks old buddy, should be here any day now...it's going to be a very Crimson Halloween Evil Smile

Let me know how it is! I'm still burning with curiosity!

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 21:52

Dude, you miss out on so much amazing progressive music by outright dismissing modern stuff altogether.

So many inventive and exciting bands working in a variety of progressive genres to discover!

Don't simply hang on to a few albums from a small period of time and miss everything else.

I couldn't agree more. Dismissing 21st century Prog is a big no no....somebody operate on Dr. Prog!!

Ageism in the prog community is the very antithesis of what prog represents. The word "prog" should imply "progress". How can music move forward if we keep looking backward as though we've already left behind our potential to create new masterpieces? That, my friends, is regressive, not progressive.

Don't throw away the classics by any means, but don't put them on an inflated pedestal. You miss out on the amazing things going on in today's music scene. And there is some truly amazing stuff going on today. Some of it better than the classic stuff by miles in my opinion.

After stating that observation that I hope was communicated as a humble thought, I'm going to start a fight by interjecting my opinion of such examples, because that's the proper social convention for posting on the internet. The new Haken album, Riverside's last two, the new Anglagard album, and Discipline's most recent album are examples that have come out within the past 5 years that I like better than the ENTIRE YES DISCOGRAPHY. There, I said it. Not trolling either. And I'm not sorry. Commence bashing Tongue

Entire YES catalog?? Well...actually I would say most of it, especially Close To The Edge...not all of it. Also, you don't sound trolling at all. My opinion is that you bring up a fair point that I am in partial agreement with, but be careful by not contradicting yourself because you brought up a great point about 'not dismissing' the classics or discriminating against them. Saying that 'All Yes' is inferior to the likes of your modern hero's in music may be discriminatory. Lol.

Haha thanks! Glad you took the time to read it and found something positive and likeable from it Smile

I do want to say though that I didn't say all of Yes was inferior. I just said I like those albums I listed more than Yes personally. I have nothing against them, they're just not my preference by comparison.

You see. You are not a troll, and I understand ya all the way. Also, totally agree about Haken's The Mountain. It's a modern masterpiece and a very different, non typical Prog metal sounding album...Cockaroach King anyone? Lovely. :)
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 23:00
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Building up a nice quote pyramid here...

Yes so let's start a new one now. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 00:56

I've had mine for about 10 days but its still unopened. This weekend though..
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 12:33

You see. You are not a troll, and I understand ya all the way. Also, totally agree about Haken's The Mountain. It's a modern masterpiece and a very different, non typical Prog metal sounding album...Cockaroach King anyone? Lovely. :)

That song is freaking tops! That whole album really is one of the most gratifying musical experiences. I'm also partial to Falling Back to Earth and Somebody. That ending... chills.

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 13:11

10 days!!!  I'm so jealous LOL
surrogate people View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 16:52
"Everyone knows rock'n roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact"-Homer Simpson
That ageless discussion : "old" vs"new" music. I guess I've seen it before. I think there's enough good music out there , probably more that in any other period. I don't fear we are running short of good stuff, really. The only thing I regret is not having enough time for it!!
IMO, the best retro prog project of this century: 
Surrogate People they walk on by, they walk on by
When they replace you
They live your life, they live your life
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 20:50

That song is freaking tops! That whole album really is one of the most gratifying musical experiences. I'm also partial to Falling Back to Earth and Somebody. That ending... chills.

Yes I also like Haken's The Mountain it's one of the best albums from this year.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 23:18

10 days!!!  I'm so jealous LOL

U.K special previlages

But seriously though, Richard....10 days! Wow you must either be saving the right moment to dive into taut sucker or you are buried in a pile of new albums you haven't listened to yet? I think it may be that.

Enjoy guys! Looks great. Oh Dennis, you gotta be getting yours any minute now.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 01:25
^ correct on the 'right moment'. I've been a bit tired recently and didn't want to spoil the experience by not being totally awakeSmile
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 06:20
The band Trion have released a new album called Funfair Fantasy.  I've not heard it, but the review said that it is influenced by Floyd, Trick of the Tail era Genesis, and Camel's Snow Goose.  "It is ideal for anyone into jazzy and dreamy prog instrumental music whose listening tastes don't stray much later than about 1975".  It also mentions heavy use of the Mellotron and that Edo Spannings is a ninja on the instrument.

Sounds like something that might appeal to some of you. Smile

Edited by rushfan4 - October 25 2013 at 06:23
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 18:46
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The band Trion have released a new album called Funfair Fantasy.  I've not heard it, but the review said that it is influenced by Floyd, Trick of the Tail era Genesis, and Camel's Snow Goose.  "It is ideal for anyone into jazzy and dreamy prog instrumental music whose listening tastes don't stray much later than about 1975".  It also mentions heavy use of the Mellotron and that Edo Spannings is a ninja on the instrument.

Sounds like something that might appeal to some of you. Smile

Thanks I'll check it out. I like symphonic Prog a lot.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 02:03

Have to say I find both Wobbler and Astra pretty boring based on what I've heard. I also didn't like Angalgards last album.Glass Hammer are my favourite retro prog band. I need some warmth in my symphonic prog which those other bands seem to lack. The icey Scadanvian approach probably not my thing.

While I disagree with regard to Astra, I understand when it comes to Wobbler. The first much-hyped album (Hinterland) is by-the-numbers 70s love fest. Nothing really sticks out. On that one, they emulate the "style" but they don't make it their own. I've still not heard Afterglow but the third one, Rites At Dawn, I like much, much better than the first.

Glass Hammer is a band I used to like a lot. For whatever reason, their "flavour" of prog doesn't sit as well as it once did. Chronometree is my fave but I don't think it's as blatantly Yes-derivative as their later works. I respect those guys, though.

I agree about Hinterland.  It's quite enjoyable and great fun but I don't think it's nearly as deep or rewarding as repeated listenings to Astra's "The Weirding".  Chronometree was one of those modern prog albums I loved at first hear...I thought I'd discovered a prog holy grail...and after the initial one week glow I never went back to it and traded the cd away.  Same as the first Magna Carta album.  For me they were all flash and no substance.

The Weirding is the one I have by Astra but only managed one listen but will give it another go. Chronomotree is very ELP like at times. Amazing keyboard runs by Fred Schendel that are hard to ignore if you like that sort of thing (obviously I do!!). Vocally it misses the mark and Glass Hammer took a massive step forward when they employed a full time drummer from The Inconsolable Secret onwards. It would be a bit dangerous to dismiss them on the basis of an album made 14 years ago (they have made several since) but you are of course fully entitled to your opinionSmile

Just listening to The Weirding at the moment. Is it  just me or does it sound a bit like Black Sabbath doing symphonic prog??! Not what I remember anyways. Liking it Thumbs Up

Edited by richardh - November 11 2013 at 02:04
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 02:11
An example of that modern, contemporary prog at its best: Gabe Stallman's  Ampevene EP http://gabestallman.bandcamp.com/album/ampevene-ep  (name your prIce)

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 02:18

Just listening to The Weirding at the moment. Is it  just me or does it sound a bit like Black Sabbath doing symphonic prog??! Not what I remember anyways. Liking it Thumbs Up

Not that far-fetched an analogy but I'm glad you like it and I think they're a very cool band. And you'll like the second one, The Black Chord, as well!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 13:56

Not that far-fetched an analogy but I'm glad you like it and I think they're a very cool band. And you'll like the second one, The Black Chord, as well!

Yep strange I dismissed this so readily. Perhaps it was because it  feels a bit 'stretched out' ideas wise but on the other hand there is plenty room for the music to breathe. The playing and natural sounding production is top notch. Yep The Black Chord here I comeSmile
mawgojzeta View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 21:13
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

I can't say that I prefer the new prog over the old prog but I'll take the new prog over the newer pop stuff any day. Being a teen in the eighties I was caught between two worlds. I suppose many folks my age have never discovered the new prog because they somehow weren't exposed to the old prog so I suppose most prog fans are either over 50 or under 30. I'm not sure but sometimes it seems that way. I was fortunate to be able to discover prog at a time when it was very underground and not active in a commercial way or a way where people could easily discover it. I still favor the bands who got me into the genre in the first place such as YES, King Crimson, ELP, Genesis, Pink Floyd, RUSH etc.

I would disagree with your age estimates.  I am 41 and felt like I got the best of both worlds.  I was listening (generally due to other adult's or my friends' older siblings' playing tastes) to progressive rock of the 60s and 70s during the 70s and 80s.  On the other hand, I may have been an exception. In fact, other than a very short stint of loving any pop song that was new when I was 11-12, most of the bands I truly enjoyed (of any genre) had pre-1980 beginnings.  One of the things that annoyed me the most about the 80s was how some bands changed their style to fit better with so much of the garbage coming out at that time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>