Topic ClosedModern prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 10:49
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

spocks beard are terrible lol

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how staggeringly ignorant and utterly wrong it is.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 10:51
Already mentioned these guys but imo they represent good modern prog with melody, a retro feel, and great playing.
Wobbler-Rites At Dawn
Some have said they sound too much like Yes on this one......who cares. I play this almost weekly.
Almost all of the newer modern bands have influences and some even name them.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 10:52
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I don't think I've heard a marillion song that I even liked. I think the only way I'd really like a band forming after 1975 would be if all composing members didn't care for hardly any music post 1983. What are the chances of that? Lol. Any music with a metal influence I can't take seriously

Try Easter.

If that doesn't stir some emotion in your soul, you don't possess one. 

Oh, and Steve Hogarth wrote it.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 10:57
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Already mentioned these guys but imo they represent good modern prog with melody, a retro feel, and great playing.
Wobbler-Rites At Dawn
Some have said they sound too much like Yes on this one......who cares. I play this almost weekly.

What he said only transcribed onto DiagonalBig smile

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 11:20
I have to say that lately, I prefer modern progressive rock. I really have little to no time for Neo prog (with a few exceptions here and there) and find myself preferring groups like MiRthkon, The Wrong Object, Chrome Hoof, echolyn, Phideaux, Gosta Berlings Saga, Half Past Four, Miriodor, Mike Keneally, Panzerpappa, Steven Wilson, etc

Of course, my roots are in classic prog, it's just that I've over listened to those bands. I've heard Selling England and Larks Tongues so much that I have them memorized a la Fahrenheit 451! I, of course, have a lot of respect and appreciation for the classic prog era, and may return to it years down the road with refreshed ears, but for now I want to hear new stuff.

Edited by progrockdeepcuts - October 20 2013 at 11:21

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 11:25
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Wobbler-Rites At Dawn

I really find Wobbler & Diagonal a bit too deliberately retro, it's not like they are using it as inspiration, it's more like they're trying to clone them. I do like it when I'm in the right mood but I'd rather reach for the original.

Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

I have to say that lately, I prefer modern progressive rock. I really have little to no time for Neo prog (with a few exceptions here and there) and find myself preferring groups like MiRthkon, The Wrong Object, Chrome Hoof, echolyn, Phideaux, Gosta Berlings Saga, Half Past Four, Miriodor, Mike Keneally, Panzerpappa, Steven Wilson, etc 

This is much more like a list of modern prog bands for me.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - October 20 2013 at 11:27
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 19:44
Another "ultra-retro" band is Astra.

Diagonal's second album (The Second Mechanism) is less explicitly retro.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 19:51
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Another "ultra-retro" band is Astra.

Diagonal's second album (The Second Mechanism) is less explicitly retro.

Yeah, Astra was the other one I was trying to remember
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
benbell View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 04:43
I think classic prog has an advantage that the stuff that tends to be more readily remembered is by definition the stuff that stood the test of time. Contemporary prog is to some extent lacking that helpful filter.

For my tastes I think there is a lot of very good prog around at the moment that can stand toe-to-toe with the "classic" era, but it's not surprising that it is a slightly different beast because of the influences (musical and technological) that have come to bear since. Keyboard players don't have to sell a kidney to get something other than a hammond or piano that can play polyphonically, and few prog drummers these days will be playing on a kit quite as modest as was normal in the early 70's (I remember a comment in Fusion Orchestra's gig diary talking gleefully about Dave Bell having added a cowbell and a second tom to his kit!)

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 06:06
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Wobbler-Rites At Dawn

The first one sounds like a genesis cover band, the second sounds like they try so hard to be complex I'm embarrassed. This is not a catchy melody. Modern proggers can't do it. They need to slow it down and produce something nice and clever. Make it fun. Less notes, more instruments. Entwine some simple chords with tasty keys and guitar. Make it fun with some smart bass playing and spice it up with busy smooth cymbal work. Not hard at all really without sounding like any other old prog band but sounding like you belong in that era

Edited by dr prog - October 21 2013 at 06:07
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 06:23
Wobbler sound like elp one song, genesis another, yes the next, then tull and gentle giant. Copy cats
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 10:40
Originally posted by benbell benbell wrote:

I think classic prog has an advantage that the stuff that tends to be more readily remembered is by definition the stuff that stood the test of time. Contemporary prog is to some extent lacking that helpful filter.

Yes.  The well-known "good times effect", as I like to call it.  People remember the great stuff and forget about the howlers.  This is almost always in play when people complain about contemporary music that "music was better in the past" - music wasn't better in the past, but the bad music is simply forgotten.

Originally posted by benbell benbell wrote:

For my tastes I think there is a lot of very good prog around at the moment that can stand toe-to-toe with the "classic" era, but it's not surprising that it is a slightly different beast because of the influences (musical and technological) that have come to bear since. Keyboard players don't have to sell a kidney to get something other than a hammond or piano that can play polyphonically, and few prog drummers these days will be playing on a kit quite as modest as was normal in the early 70's (I remember a comment in Fusion Orchestra's gig diary talking gleefully about Dave Bell having added a cowbell and a second tom to his kit!)

A perfectly correct observation.  Progressive rock today is different from classical progressive rock, due to different musical influences and due to advanced technology, especially regarding the keyboards.  I play a synthesizer which cost me €500, but can do things Emerson and Wakeman could only dream of.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 14:53
I personally love modern prog for the influences, as well as the crisp production. My personal favourite style of prog is the "new prog" or "post-prog" style that is half way between alternative rock and prog rock, with influences from post-hardcore and indie. You know, stuff like Anathema, Dead Letter Circus, Karnivool, Breaking Orbit, The Dear Hunter, Coheed & Cambria etc. It's not recognised here as a subgenre (probably because it barely existed when the subgenres here were decided), but it's easily my favourite, and you won't find any of those bands pre 1997.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 15:49
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Discipline too for sure. I'm also going to recommend iamthemorning. Although they may not sound much like the old stuff, there's no metal, and their debut does a wonderful job of demonstrating the ability to cover new ground in a pleasantly accessible yet emotionally interesting manner. No metal influence there either.
Imho, iamthemorning not only have nothing to do with (progressive) metal; they come from indie-rock, musical style that has nothing to do with the 70s Progressive Rock in general.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 16:38
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Have you tried the band Astra?  Not sure if they would appeal to you or not, but I believe that they use all authentic old equipment and recording technologies. 

Thanks much for the tip...I read your review of "The Weirding" yesterday and was intrigued...I'm giving the album a spin or two now - TGFYoutube Wink
Let us know what you think.  I am curious to hear your thoughts on them.

I decided I didn't want to just listen to this once and rave about how great it was (I'm a sucker for anything with mellotron) but love at first sight never really lasts between me and prog so I've been listening to The Weirding many times over the past 4 days.  Simply put, it's like this crazy blend of Meddle-era Pink Floyd and early 70's King Crimson with lots of ARP lead synth icing.  The mellotron stylings are much more Ian MacDonald/Fripp (mixes of single note melodies and chords) than Tony Banks (big chord washes).  There's also lots of ARP synth lead work but not at all in a Banks style...I can't really place who it reminds me of and that's a good thing!  The songs are multi-part with complex and heavy sections contrasted by quiet passages and vocal dominated bits.  The songwriting is outstanding.  The lead guitar work doesn't really remind me of anyone in particular, except maybe the excellent and obscure US prog bands of the late 70's, Cathedral & Netherworld.  It's not at all blues-based like Gilmour and not at all metal or shred like either...maybe a little Camel like in places but with more energy...melodic but sometimes complex...very enjoyable.  The guitar really steps out in the long instrumental Ouroboros and sounds great.

All that being said, I don't really feel The Weirding is a slavish copy of anything and I'm really enjoying it's uniqueness.  It's like a painter deciding to use Rembrandt's palette but choosing a different subject...the color/contrast seems familiar, but the work stands on it's own merit.  I'm more of a classic prog guy, but I've sampled some of the more PA-highly-regarded modern prog bands and this is the 1st post 2000 release I've heard that has me feeling like there's more to be found there if I just give it one more listen...and I haven't felt that way about a prog album for a very long time Wink
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 16:47
Great to hear we found a good one for you.  Clap
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 17:29
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

Discipline too for sure. I'm also going to recommend iamthemorning. Although they may not sound much like the old stuff, there's no metal, and their debut does a wonderful job of demonstrating the ability to cover new ground in a pleasantly accessible yet emotionally interesting manner. No metal influence there either.
Imho, iamthemorning not only have nothing to do with (progressive) metal; they come from indie-rock, musical style that has nothing to do with the 70s Progressive Rock in general.

Oh, I agree. Hence my disclaimer.

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 17:34

Great to hear we found a good one for you.  Clap

Thanks!   Handshake
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 19:37
Hey I also like Discipline and iamthemorning, two of my favorite bands right now.
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 21:20

Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

Hey I also like Discipline and iamthemorning, two of my favorite bands right now.

Handshake You, my friend, have wonderful taste!

Unfolded Like Staircase is a real desert-island album for me Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>