Direct Link To This Post Topic: Orbital Echoes
    Posted: October 17 2013 at 03:25
Out two days ago, a combination of heavy prog and post-rock:

http://michaelzucker.bandcamp.com/album/orbital-echoes
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2013 at 01:35
...A good listen if you're still not taking the one-man-band concept seriously !!!
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2013 at 04:40
It's downright painful that this project remains unnoticed, at least in comparison to the celebrated ones here on PA...Is there a place on the web where that kind of music gets the praise !?

Edited by jayem - November 27 2013 at 22:53
mxz174 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2013 at 15:18
Thank for you the kind words!  This album as well as last year's Inner Demons got very little notice as compared to other albums I've done (All the King's Horses, Technocracy etc.), thanks for giving this one a shout out!
Algabas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 12:17

Very interesting work! It's unusual when a kind of homemade recording or, better say, "cosiness" of the recording makes the music more interesting and original. So, this work takes power from its weakness (one-man band, makeshift recording, static character of some parts). 

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 15:42
Originally posted by mxz174 mxz174 wrote:

Thank for you the kind words!  This album as well as last year's Inner Demons got very little notice as compared to other albums I've done (All the King's Horses, Technocracy etc.), thanks for giving this one a shout out!

I'm not being kind...This projects just stands out of the crowd by comparison to as compared to so many.

Originally posted by Algabas Algabas wrote:

Very interesting work! It's unusual when a kind of homemade recording or, better say, "cosiness" of the recording makes the music more interesting and original. So, this work takes power from its weakness (one-man band, makeshift recording, static character of some parts). 

I suspect you've listened with prejudices, my dear...I don't know how this sounds either "makeshift" recorded, or cosy !! As for the static parts I don't get it...They are things like fingers gliding between notes that I don't like, maybe he could have added layers, why not a voice,  here and there. But the only hint at "homemade" is simply that the guy has mentioned he was alone.

As a producer I'd definitely introduce him to the well known musicians in the heavy / fusion prog field provided he enjoys developing pieces with others, of course !

PS: Good luck with your band ! Enjoyable Algabas songs on YT, although I'd vote (but who am I, of course) for more fill-ins (like ghost notes on drums, and some accelerated guitar parts)  to tighten them up. 
mxz174 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 23:57
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

I'm not being kind...This projects just stands out of the crowd by comparison to as compared to so many.

Well I thank you for mentioning it at least, most of my releases get little or no mention on PA.

Originally posted by Algabas Algabas wrote:

I suspect you've listened with prejudices, my dear...I don't know how this sounds either "makeshift" recorded, or cosy !! As for the static parts I don't get it...They are things like fingers gliding between notes that I don't like, maybe he could have added layers, why not a voice,  here and there. But the only hint at "homemade" is simply that the guy has mentioned he was alone.

Although this is my solo studio project, I am a producer, composer and player and I play in several different bands as well as produce records for various other artists on my label.  I have a great studio and while I won't try and defend the sonic quality of my early work any album from 2011 onward I am very proud of the production level.  The finger noise I chose to keep so you get more of the human experience of the performance.  I sing on many of my records but to help push this one closer towards a post-rock feel I chose to keep it instrumental and with some longer minimalist sections.  Some of the vintage pedals used on the record also create a lot of noise.  This is very clear on the title track for instance, where the swirly backing guitar throughout was done using an old moog delay and an original HOG, lots of crackle and artifacts from the pedals but this is the effect.

As a producer I'd definitely introduce him to the well known musicians in the heavy / fusion prog field provided he enjoys developing pieces with others, of course !

I do love collaborations, I am just so busy with projects these days I'd honestly have to love the material/players to get involved.  Get a hold of me and send me some more info.
MZ

Edited by mxz174 - November 29 2013 at 23:58
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2013 at 01:36

I do love collaborations, I am just so busy with projects these days I'd honestly have to love the material/players to get involved.  Get a hold of me and send me some more info.
MZ

I meant "If I were a producer". I'm not, but thanks to my (not easy to use but efficient) Paypal account I've now become a customer of yours, so not that bad news altogether, is it...

Edited by jayem - November 30 2013 at 19:36
Algabas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 02:15
When I wrote about static character of some parts I meant that if a guitarist plays bass guitar part he plays it as a guitarist. And if a native bassist plays the same part he plays it in a different manner, like a bassist. The same thing happens with any other instrument. If a keyboardist plays a guitar part he plays it as a keyboardists, not as a native guitarist. And when all parts played by one man it can be heard. But as I mentioned above, this feature (one-man band) makes this record more powerful, i.e. this is very good feature of this work!

When I talked about "homemade recording" I meant that some noises and artifacts can be heard on this record. And in my opinion this is the one more original and strong feature of this work. I called it "cosiness", and I like it. Modern records are often too clear and "perfect". Because of it they are sometimes lifeless and boring.
mxz174 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 16:40
Thanks for the support Jayem!  It is greatly appreciated and I hope you enjoy the record.

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 17:48
Fine !!

I'm impressed at your commitment to render those soulful, trippy tracks. Very few projects I've heard from people taking stuff all on themselves are likely to achieve this level of musicianship and overall quality !

...And welcome, one year late, on this great website. I'm happy with many exchanges of words / sounds on PA (also a couple of proficient musicans there, even "VIPs")...
 Post Reply Post Reply