Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome Industrial Bands.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which band is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [9.09%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [13.64%]
1 [4.55%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
1 [4.55%]
1 [4.55%]
4 [18.18%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
1 [4.55%]
1 [4.55%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 17:34
Some of the bands in your list are in PA database Smile the others not Unhappy

Edited by lucas - October 26 2013 at 17:34
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 17:36
Haven't heard much of them.

Nine Inch Nails are great, but they're not really on the same industrial scene as Throbbing Gristle.

Swans is a very interesting band as well

Quite dislike Laibach.
This night wounds time.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 18:23
I'm familiar with a handful of these bands and while my fave album from the above artists is NIN's "With Teeth" - I don't really consider it very "industrial" so Laibach get's my vote Wink
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 00:27
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I'm familiar with a handful of these bands and while my fave album from the above artists is NIN's "With Teeth" - I don't really consider it very "industrial" so Laibach get's my vote Wink
Handshake
mz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 15:43
not familiar with all of them but godflesh is one of my favorite bands ever
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 16:12
Slightly off-topic: Has anyone else noticed that industrial projects' political loyalties are a pretty surefire predictor of musical style? Openly left-wing bands are usually guitar-based (e. g. Godflesh, Killing Joke, Ministry) whereas the right-wingers tend to base their sound in electronic instrumentation... (e. g. Blood Axis, NON, Organized Resistance)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 17:17
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Slightly off-topic: Has anyone else noticed that industrial projects' political loyalties are a pretty surefire predictor of musical style? Openly left-wing bands are usually guitar-based (e. g. Godflesh, Killing Joke, Ministry) whereas the right-wingers tend to base their sound in electronic instrumentation... (e. g. Blood Axis, NON, Organized Resistance)

Music doesn't work like that. Consolidated were industrial hip-hop and very leftist.
Magma America Great Make Again
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 18:59

Wrong: SPK and Esplendor Geometrico were quite left-wing (we could even label them as Marxists) and never used guitars.
Moreover, Death In June is also guitar-based (acoustic guitars, but still guitars) but is a right-wing project.
catfood03 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 22:48
Your choices left out my personal favorite industrial band, Severed Heads. Although early records  in the late 70's/early 80's were very much industrial they shifted more to pop & dance music by the 1990's.

Here's one of their best-known songs... we'll at least among the band's fans anyway, although I think this one charted in their native Australia

Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 09:20
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Wrong: SPK and Esplendor Geometrico were quite left-wing (we could even label them as Marxists) and never used guitars. Moreover, Death In June is also guitar-based (acoustic guitars, but still guitars) but is a right-wing project.

SPK has most definitely used guitars.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 09:30

Wrong: SPK and Esplendor Geometrico were quite left-wing (we could even label them as Marxists) and never used guitars.
Moreover, Death In June is also guitar-based (acoustic guitars, but still guitars) but is a right-wing project.

There's definitely exceptions, but it does seem like a general trend there's some truth to. To the right-leaning guitar-based industrial bands you can add later Blut Aus Nord by the way (name means "blood from the north" in broken German - hmmm...) and Above the Ruins (Death in June splinter faction way more explicitly political than DIJ ever were).
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 17:46
I was obsessed with Throbbing Gristle in the 80's and owned the entire catalog on LP. Re-bought the stuff on disc in the digital age , but ended up selling many of the less enjoyable titles as time progressed. The 2nd Annual Report was difficult to bare in later years ..however "After Cease To Exist" always gave me the creeps and that was cool. Journey Through A Body and In the Shadow of the Sun are their strangest most nightmarish releases. I took their music as a visionary or a film and was attracted to that, but it's pretty self-explanatory as to why I would feel that way....as T.G. often showed influence off the Berlin School of electronic music style in between all of their other bizzare tape recordings and feedback sounds. Cozy Fanny Tutti's guitar sounded like a vacuum cleaner in "Hamburger Lady" and Chris Carter went for the Berlin sound. The cover of Throbbing Gristle's Greatest Hits displays a picture of Cozy with bedroom eyes and it's a little Twilight Zone in nature. Something about that picture brings the thought of suspense and mystery. Some foul play image or murder. Something sadistic and the band often wrote about documented cases of horrific crimes seemingly as a warning of the danger existing in the world. But...the way in which they went about doing it created mystery. There was something about them that was very strange and curious. They made you're mind drift into dark places. I never liked "Funeral In Berlin" or any live recording for that matter...but got a thrill out of their studio recordings. I do find "Heathen Earth" laughable and especially in the section where Genesis P.is playing the part of a whore monger attempting to pick up a woman played by Cozy Fanni Tutti. They were like watching a strange independent underground film and even much stranger than Eraserhead.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 20:29
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I was obsessed with Throbbing Gristle in the 80's and owned the entire catalog on LP. Re-bought the stuff on disc in the digital age , but ended up selling many of the less enjoyable titles as time progressed. The 2nd Annual Report was difficult to bare in later years ..however "After Cease To Exist" always gave me the creeps and that was cool. Journey Through A Body and In the Shadow of the Sun are their strangest most nightmarish releases. I took their music as a visionary or a film and was attracted to that, but it's pretty self-explanatory as to why I would feel that way....as T.G. often showed influence off the Berlin School of electronic music style in between all of their other bizzare tape recordings and feedback sounds. Cozy Fanny Tutti's guitar sounded like a vacuum cleaner in "Hamburger Lady" and Chris Carter went for the Berlin sound. The cover of Throbbing Gristle's Greatest Hits displays a picture of Cozy with bedroom eyes and it's a little Twilight Zone in nature. Something about that picture brings the thought of suspense and mystery. Some foul play image or murder. Something sadistic and the band often wrote about documented cases of horrific crimes seemingly as a warning of the danger existing in the world. But...the way in which they went about doing it created mystery. There was something about them that was very strange and curious. They made you're mind drift into dark places. I never liked "Funeral In Berlin" or any live recording for that matter...but got a thrill out of their studio recordings. I do find "Heathen Earth" laughable and especially in the section where Genesis P.is playing the part of a whore monger attempting to pick up a woman played by Cozy Fanni Tutti. They were like watching a strange independent underground film and even much stranger than Eraserhead.

Have you tried the live album 32nd Annual Report? It's a live album of them playing through the entire 2nd annual Report, but it blows that one out of the park. You can hear the Berlin School influence quite often in this one imo.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 00:07

There's definitely exceptions, but it does seem like a general trend there's some truth to. To the right-leaning guitar-based industrial bands you can add later Blut Aus Nord by the way (name means "blood from the north" in broken German - hmmm...) and Above the Ruins (Death in June splinter faction way more explicitly political than DIJ ever were).

Since when Blut Aus Nord is an industrial band? Furthermore, while I'm not familiar with this band, I've never heard of them as a right-leaning band, in spite of their name...
iamathousandapples View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 20:42
I only really enjoy Swans for their non-industrial work(aka everything after Holy Money) so I can't really give them the vote. Gotta go with KMFDM.

Edited by iamathousandapples - November 11 2013 at 20:42
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 21:06
Lot of great bands here, but I gotta go with Swans
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 08:26

Since when Blut Aus Nord is an industrial band? Furthermore, while I'm not familiar with this band, I've never heard of them as a right-leaning band, in spite of their name...
Yeah, Blut Aus Nord tends to be seen as an avant-black metal band with mmmmaybe some industrial influences here and there.

Furthermore, Blut Aus Nord have made a point of distancing themselves from nationalist black metal bands - they've declared themselves to be more akin to environmentalist black metal guys like Wolves In the Throne Room, who aren't exactly folk that far right enthusiasts are going to happily associate themselves with. Lyrically speaking they seem to have nothing in common with right wing black metal dudes - I mean, they've drawn on Viking imagery here and there but plenty of people have done that who aren't neo-fascists. (The only dude I know who's actually into Norse paganism is married to a Jewish woman and takes an active and enthusiastic interest in her family's religion, for instance.)

PS: Wot, no Skinny Puppy?

Edited by Warthur - November 13 2013 at 08:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 03:26
The BAN guys should start a support group for "bands whose names sound Neo-Nazi even though they aren't" with Death SS and Wolfbrigade, then.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 20:26
Kiling Joke have created somevof the toughest riffs i balks riffs.n the buisniss, plain metal balls riffs
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 12:14
I'll give DI6 the nod for the stellar mid 80s era; stuff like Nada and The World That Summer. They haven't done anything really worthwhile in almost 2 decades though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>