FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Friend Of Mr Cairo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Friend Of Mr Cairo
    Posted: June 07 2004 at 15:56

Just listened to "The Friends Of Mr Cairo" for the first time in many, many years and I must say I loved it then and I love it now (with the possible exception of "I Wanna Go Back To School")!

Should I be embarassed? I can't even find Jon & Vangelis in the archive? What's up? Not Prog enough? I much prefer "Friends" to say, 90125, which I wouldnt even download for free. (oops, I already downloaded "Changes", ah well...)

Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2004 at 02:24

I like Vangelis a lot.I would like to see him feature in the archive section in some form or other.He's made one outstanding prog album with Aphrodite's Child (666) as well as solo albums like 'Heaven and Hell' and 'Albedo .39' which could well be classified as 'prog'.That said most of his albums from about 1980 onwards have little to do with prog (synth and electronic mainly) and his back catalogue is vast (similar comments could be made about Tangerine Dream as well). So in order to get Vangelis in I would like to see Jon And Vangelis in the archive and it has the added benefit of bringing in an important Jon Anderson side project as well.

In summary - good 'call' emdiar!! 

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2004 at 02:35

Quote I like Vangelis a lot.I would like to see him feature in the archive section in some form or other.He's made one outstanding prog album with Aphrodite's Child (666) as well as solo albums like 'Heaven and Hell' and 'Albedo .39' which could well be classified as 'prog'.

Agree with you Richardh, some weeks ago I asked to include Aphrodite's Child and Vangelis (Specially for 666 and Heaven & Hell, which I believe are outstanding).

Even though I hate Jon & Vangelis music because  I find it boring, must admit they are very close to prog, even when they have a lot of New Age.

If Jon & Vangelis are included i will have the chance to increase my 2 and one stars ratings

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
emdiar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2004 at 04:49
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I like Vangelis a lot.I would like to see him feature in the archive section in some form or other.He's made one outstanding prog album with Aphrodite's Child (666) as well as solo albums like 'Heaven and Hell' and 'Albedo .39' which could well be classified as 'prog'.That said most of his albums from about 1980 onwards have little to do with prog (synth and electronic mainly) and his back catalogue is vast (similar comments could be made about Tangerine Dream as well). So in order to get Vangelis in I would like to see Jon And Vangelis in the archive and it has the added benefit of bringing in an important Jon Anderson side project as well.

In summary - good 'call' emdiar!! 

Cheers Richardh, I first got into Vangelis when Carl Segan used Heaven & Hell as the theme to his BBC TV series "The Cosmos". Also, I love the Aphrodites Child LP (666) and even covered the song "the Seventh Seal" in a schoolboy prog band back in the '80s. Many Progheads may be surprised to find that Demis Roussos had a real Prog carreer before modelling tents for a living.

I'm also a fan of the T'Dream genre, though "Beaubourg" is a bit too experimental for my ears. I saw him play a Docklands style gig (a la J.M. Jarre) in Rotterdam docks about 10 years ago, but the sound was awfull (inaudibly quiet).

Perception is truth, ergo opinion is fact.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2004 at 17:18

Beauborg is very weird I agree! On the subject of Vangelis prog albums I would also nominate 'Direct'.This tends to get overlooked but is as good as anything Vangelis has ever done IMO.I particlarly like the track 'Intergalactic Radio Station'.

ShrinkingViolet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2004 at 08:10

Jon and Vangelis make a good combination. Friends of Mr.Cairo ..great!!! I would like to see them on the archives aswell. What I really love from the duo is the album Page of Life, fantastic from start to finish with highlights for me - wisdom chain, garden of senses and be a good friend of mine.

Vangelis is a talented man i have Heaven and Hell  , Aphrodities Child (666) , and his El Greco soundtrack . I am a huge fan of his work.

Jon and Vangelis- Friends of Mr.Cairo is excellent and its sweet to see how it reminds you of your school days...Sweeter Memories- Todd Rundgren

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2004 at 02:50
Originally posted by ShrinkingViolet ShrinkingViolet wrote:

Jon and Vangelis make a good combination. Friends of Mr.Cairo ..great!!! I would like to see them on the archives aswell. What I really love from the duo is the album Page of Life, fantastic from start to finish with highlights for me - wisdom chain, garden of senses and be a good friend of mine.

Vangelis is a talented man i have Heaven and Hell  , Aphrodities Child (666) , and his El Greco soundtrack . I am a huge fan of his work.

Jon and Vangelis- Friends of Mr.Cairo is excellent and its sweet to see how it reminds you of your school days...Sweeter Memories- Todd Rundgren

To be honest i always thought that 'Page Of Life' would make a good coaster.I guess I'll have to go back and give it another listen.

BTW My favourite Vangelis album is 'China'.This basically incapsulates all that I love about Vangelis.I just wish he would get around to doing a remaster of it with bonus tracks etc.The version available on CD was released in the early eightes and sound a bit ropey in places. 

DoomHammer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2004 at 04:53

Never heard the album but i sure love the name A Friend Of Mr. Cairo  i'll try and download the lyrics to know what it's about

when i sell my life story, maybe i should write it first and do the living later 'cause life is so much cleaner on the page
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2004 at 23:15

My fave Jon & Vangelis album is their first, 'Short Stories'. The opening and closing numbers are their strongest compositiones ever!

Regards.

Post Reply Post Reply