Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Grand Silent System / Crossover Prog / AU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Grand Silent System / Crossover Prog / AU
    Posted: October 28 2013 at 03:23
Ok, so i attempted to make a suggestion as an off-topic because i couldn't make myself to write something adequate about this great band, but i think i should follow the rules after all.

The official information about the band:

The Australian rock sextet Grand Silent System was formed in 1999 (and disbanded in 2006) in the Latrobe Valley area.
Consisting of singer/percussionist Sean Albers, guitarist Daniel Calabro, keyboard player Ben Rejmer, bass player Craig Moren, drummer Ben Hellmig, and flautist Karen Heath (who also plays saxophone and clarinet), the eclectic act blended elements of classical, jazz, funk, rock, and world music to create a unique sound. The fledgling act soon relocated to Melbourne, developing a following for their live performances which bordered on experimental and shared a kinship with progressive rock acts from the '70s. Their initial release, an EP entitled They Who Built, was well-received in their homeland by both critics and fans, with the track "Robotics" garnering airplay (the song even attracted attention from Canadian radio). 

The band released a couple of EPs:
One (2000)
They Who Build (2001)

And two full-lengh albums:
Gift or a weapon (2002)
Everyone lies alone (2004)

And they all are totally amazing.

These guys are remarkable because their sound is very original and rare and they are combining so mant things that are hardly imagined together in an absolutely beautiful way. Tricky time signatures together with beauiful melodies and vocals that at first slightly reminded me of Maynard from Tool (in Stint the Obey, e.g.) - however, this feeling disappeared pretty fast as listened to TGSS more. 
One of the main things that makes their sound so unique is the use of wind intruments such as clarinet, flute and saxophone. What is especially interesting here is their interaction with other components of arrangements. I really love how they work together with the guitars.

https://myspace.com/thegrandsilentsystem/music/songs -- main source to check out the music without using torrens (although not sure if there are any TGSS albums on torrents)

The official site doesn't work http://www.thegrandsilentsystem.com

The only official video that i ever came across is below. I listen to them for seven years already and still don't know much about them apart from the fact that they will never get back together :(

Hope i didn't miss anything.
start of something beautiful
www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7504
https://www.facebook.com/iamthemorningpage
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 05:20
Hmmm...perked my interest.  I will see what else I can find on them...
theprogmind.com
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 06:16
A few more tubes:

Smile

Edit: If you are logged into facebook (or subscribe to Deezer anyway), you can listen to the first EP ('1') in full here: http://www.deezer.com/en/album/179614

It's also on Spotify...If you have it available in your country. Ermm

Edited by yam yam - October 28 2013 at 06:40
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 06:57
" The Grand Silent System was conceived in early 1999 in Latrobe Valley. With a wide range of musical influences from Classical, Jazz, Orchestral, Electronica, World Music, Funk and Progressive Rock they bring an unique style to the Australian music scene. The Grand Silent System consist of six key members, bringing a wide array of instruments into play. These includes vocals, guitar, keyboards / samples, clarinet, flute, saxophone, bass and percussion. Such a broad range of textures, coupled with intricate compositions. Live perfomance has always been a major factor in the success of The Grand Silent System. Extreme dynamics make shows very powerful and crowds are often awe-struck by the brut power of the live sound. Word has spread quickly about one of the best live acts the local music scene here in Melbourne has to offer and rightfully so, as this sextet from Latrobe Valley stretches and burst every genre bubble know to man!" - Tim Cashmere, Undercover

" The Grand Silent System are one of the freshest bands to hit the local scene in a while, making a name for themselfs with their blistering, eclectic live shows." - David Richardson, Inpress

Edited by Svetonio - October 28 2013 at 10:57
amapofthepiano View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 07:42
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Edit: If you are logged into facebook (or subscribe to Deezer anyway), you can listen to the first EP ('1') in full here: http://www.deezer.com/en/album/179614

Yay! Thank you! Although i should say that this first EP sounds so different from everything they played after that. Their latest releases (especially LPs) are much more "gentle" as i see it. In terms of musical material and sound too.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 09:07
Well, they absolutely belong on the site...And as you suggest in the topic heading, Crossover Prog is where they would best fit. We just need to wait either for a member of the team to drop by and pick it up directly, or someone who can access the Collaborator Zone to act as a messenger for us, & drop a note in the team thread. Embarrassed

However - the evaluation may take a little while, since the head of the team, Marty McFly, posted yesterday in the Mike Kershaw thread that the team were temporarily down to just three (from an original five), looking for fresh blood, and that the clearing and rejecting of bands wasn't really happening to any great extent at the moment. Patience may therefore be needed... Tongue

Thanks very much for an excellent suggestion, and to Svetonio for the two additional tubes.  Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - October 28 2013 at 09:18
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 13:01
That's definitely a great find Thumbs Up

Those guys sound really different from anything I've heard before. Post-rockish indie music with nice jazzy influences (which is quite rare and unusual for that kind of music), a bit faster and more energetic than Mogwai but wa-ay more tranquil than The Mars Volta. Some keyboard parts that bring back neo-prog to my mind. At moments it sounds a bit like Steven Wilson's 'Insurgentes', but a bit less moody overall and with cleaner production. The music interwines mellow and beautiful flute soundscapes, progressive rock influences, grungey sounds of guitar wall noise, and it's definitely a worthwile music to check out.

All in all, it's another great band from Australia, must be interesting for fans of obscure post-progressive bands, such as A Lonely Crowd or Secret Machines.

Edited by ole-the-first - October 28 2013 at 13:09
This night wounds time.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 15:01
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Well, they absolutely belong on the site...And as you suggest in the topic heading, Crossover Prog is where they would best fit. We just need to wait either for a member of the team to drop by and pick it up directly, or someone who can access the Collaborator Zone to act as a messenger for us, & drop a note in the team thread. Embarrassed

However - the evaluation may take a little while, since the head of the team, Marty McFly, posted yesterday in the Mike Kershaw thread that the team were temporarily down to just three (from an original five), looking for fresh blood, and that the clearing and rejecting of bands wasn't really happening to any great extent at the moment. Patience may therefore be needed... Tongue

Thanks very much for an excellent suggestion, and to Svetonio for the two additional tubes.  Thumbs Up

I'd be happy to pass it on to the crossover team......DONE!Thumbs Up
theprogmind.com
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 17:33
Originally posted by Second Life Syndrome Second Life Syndrome wrote:

Good man! Approve Beer
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 02:37

Awesome! Thank you! Now i feel like i've done something useful, haha
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 19:52
How about iamthemorning isn't that something useful. Violin
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 20:57
Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

How about iamthemorning isn't that something useful. Violin

True.  I can't get enough of "~".
theprogmind.com
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 21:22
Yes that album has no end it just begins. Also I like your reviews and also are you the prog mind? I like that facebook page.I saw an iamthemorning video there and there was someone that commented there that called Marjana a pixie.

Edited by proggman - October 29 2013 at 21:28
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 23:09

Yes that album has no end it just begins. Also I like your reviews and also are you the prog mind? I like that facebook page.I saw an iamthemorning video there and there was someone that commented there that called Marjana a pixie.

Yep, I run The PROG Mind, for better or worse.  Yeah, I believe that was Michael.  He's a bit strange. haha  I'm actually letting him post his review of a prog rock opera right now.  Track by track, though.  He's nervous about it.  Oh well.  Oh, and to clarify, I don't think of myself as "the prog mind", the term actually refers to the collective mind/intelligence/philosophies/etc. of the prog community.  Most people don't get that, though.  Unhappy
theprogmind.com
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 23:41
Thanks for the information, well about the pixie comment we'll see what Marjana thinks about it if she answers.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 01:57

Yep, I run The PROG Mind, for better or worse.  

For better of course! You are spreading the word about good music, and i can say that prog bands usually need this very, very much. Personally i was happy to see Rishloo on this page. These guys need some help.
Yeah and thank you for amazing IATM review. (:

I saw an iamthemorning video there and there was someone that commented there that called Marjana a pixie.

I feel perfectly fine about being a pixie, i don't think that's a bad word. I googled and they seem nice, haha (:
Anyhow, as long as the author didn't mean anything bad, I'm ok. It is important to get used to people writing different stuff. Even here, i saw this two stars review of ~ and yeah that was tough, but that's just a single man's opinion, nothing more. 

p.s. and looking at "Second Life Syndrome" i can't help saying - i am going to the airport to meet Riverside in several hours! yay! 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 04:26
The Grand Silent System has now been added to the Crossover team chart on progfreak.com, and you can follow the evaluation here: http://progfreak.com/The-Grand-Silent-System-157790.html?path=pa/recentThumbs Up
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 13:18
Originally posted by amapofthepiano amapofthepiano wrote:

I saw an iamthemorning video there and there was someone that commented there that called Marjana a pixie.
I feel perfectly fine about being a pixie, i don't think that's a bad word. I googled and they seem nice, haha (:
Anyhow, as long as the author didn't mean anything bad, I'm ok. It is important to get used to people writing different stuff.

I am sure the commenter didn't mean anything bad. I just wanna let you know that pixie can also mean this

Urban Dictionary: pixie

but if you don't have any problems with this, then no damage has been done.

Edited by proggman - October 30 2013 at 16:25
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 14:44
Originally posted by amapofthepiano amapofthepiano wrote:

Yep, I run The PROG Mind, for better or worse.  

For better of course! You are spreading the word about good music, and i can say that prog bands usually need this very, very much. Personally i was happy to see Rishloo on this page. These guys need some help.
Yeah and thank you for amazing IATM review. (:

Anyhow, as long as the author didn't mean anything bad, I'm ok. It is important to get used to people writing different stuff. Even here, i saw this two stars review of ~ and yeah that was tough, but that's just a single man's opinion, nothing more. 

p.s. and looking at "Second Life Syndrome" i can't help saying - i am going to the airport to meet Riverside in several hours! yay! 

I have a feeling he called you a pixie because he finds you attractive.  He loves fantasy/sci-fi, so....Also, I'm really jealous about meeting Riverside.  I did get to see them play in Chicago this year.  They were amazing.  Lastly, thanks for the encouragement about my page.  I'm glad to see people noticing it.
theprogmind.com
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 19:37
Hey I just wanted to say that I liked your reviews of Ayreon The Theory Of Everything and Magenta The Twenty Seven Club. Is it just me or doesn't Christina and Marjana sound a little bit similar. I also saw Riverside earlier this year. I also like the latest album a lot.

Edited by proggman - December 04 2013 at 20:21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>