Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed12 Tone Serial Music Composers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 Tone Serial Music Composers
    Posted: October 28 2013 at 13:44
Anyone out there into composing 12 tone serial music a la Arnold Schoenberg?  I did a few pieces about 10 years ago and am just getting into it again and would like to compare notes with other composers Wink
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 13:56
Compare notes?  Which 12 did you use?
LOL
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 13:57
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 14:08
I have done a few 12-tone serial pieces (prime, retrograde, inversion and retrograde-inversion) but cannot for the life of me remember which particular tunes they were.

I have a piece on LastFM that is jokily called A Toe Nail Poem (www.last.fm/music/The+Cacophony+Of+Light/Stateless/A+Toe+Nail+Poem) but it isn't serialism, it just uses all 12 notes of the chromatic scale with no regard to keys and scales.
What?
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 14:35
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Compare notes?  Which 12 did you use?
LOL

All of them of course Wink
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 16:06
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Compare notes?  Which 12 did you use?LOL

All of them of course Wink

Music note joke.

So in 12 tone serialism you have to use all of them in any order without repeating any? Do you not repeat any within the single melody or over any set of 12 notes played? This concept confused me. Haha
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 17:02
  1. The row is a specific ordering of all twelve notes of the chromatic scale (without regard to octave placement).
  2. No note is repeated within the row.
  3. The row may be subjected to interval-preserving transformations -- that is, it may appear in inversion (denoted I), retrograde (R), or retrograde-inversion (RI), in addition to its "original" or prime form (P).
  4. The row in any of its four transformations may begin on any degree of the chromatic scale; in other words it may be freely transposed. (Transposition being an interval-preserving transformation, this is technically covered already by 3.) Transpositions are indicated by an integer between 0 and 11 denoting the number of semitones: thus, if the original form of the row is denoted P0, then P1 denotes its transposition upward by one semitone (similarly I1 is an upward transposition of the inverted form, R1 of the retrograde form, and RI1 of the retrograde-inverted form).

...or so says Wikipedia

What?
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 17:36
Berg, Webern and some later Scriabin
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 18:06
Once you create your original tone row, generating the 12 x 12 tone row matrix takes awhile and is pretty easy to mess up.  I found a great tool that builds the matrix for you and even prints it out Wink

Also, I've stumbled across "The Arnold Schoenberg Center" which is a website that allows you to hear the master's complete works for free.  It also gives cool info about each piece like composition date and first performance date.

Edited by The.Crimson.King - October 28 2013 at 18:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 19:07
I've discovered in my research that there appears to be 2 approaches at play here.  Serial music v 12 tone music.  

Serial music is highly structured and can include not only tone rows that control the pitch, but also the dynamics and even the length of each note (whole/1/2,1/4,1/8,etc).  This approach seeks to take nearly all decision making process away from the composer except definition of the tone row and choice of which row to use.  This appears to be much more extreme than Schoenberg's approach which is more closely identified as 12 tone music and is considered a subgenre of serial music.  

In Schoenberg's 12 tone approach, you still define the 12 note row and create the matrix but you may repeat a note.  You may also repeat the current note with the previous note (essentially a "trill").  You can also define a subseries of notes as a motivic element and repeat that.  It seems Schoenberg's focus was to get composers to stop relying on the harmonic conventions they learned in school and have heard all their lives and think outside the box.  Way outside the box!  Not unlike Robert Fripp's Guitar Craft courses where students were confronted with learning Fripp's "new standard tuning" so they couldn't rely on past patterns and familiar licks.

I found this fascinating quote from "The Daily Beethoven" blog:
Finally - and this is probably the MOST IMPORTANT rule about 12-tone composition:

THERE ARE NO RULES.

What I mean is that 12-tone is a tool used to break free from traditional harmony of the 19th century and if at any time one decides that it would be nice to have that first note repeated at the end of the phrase - it's perfectly fine. The 12-tone system is more like a "recipe" kind of rule. It's a good way to get some new flavors but if you want to substitute lemon juice for vinegar it's OK, you can still call it salad dressing. Schoenberg himself broke the 12-tone rule all the time. Once, when someone wrote to him pointing out that the had repeated a note within his tone row, Schoenberg basically told him that his music was to be listened to, not studied. 

"My works are twelve-tone compositions, not twelve-tone compositions."  
(Schoenberg letter to annoying nit-picking fan)

I'd also highly recommend anyone curious who wants to learn more to check out this fantastic video from Vi Hart - the youtube MatheMusician...Fun Fun Fun Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - October 28 2013 at 23:13
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 20:04
Give me a period of time and I'll be able to come back with it. I think I need to think about it on a piano level instead of guitar so I need to buy a keyboard real quick.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 00:55
Why have rules? 

Ron Jarzombek composes the Blotted Science stuff in 12 tone, I think.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 02:35
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Why have rules? 

It is a technique rather than just a set of rules just like Dogme 95 film-making - without the rules it wouldn't be Dogme 95 it would just be film-making - so 12-tone serialism without the rules would be 12-tone atonal music or chromatic music or non-12-tone serialism or just serialism. That said, rules are made to be broken and Schoenberg broke them all the time, however to be "serialism" 12-tones (or any other series of notes) have to be used to create a row or series that is then transformed - this was intended to prevent any single note or sequence from dominating the piece and to challenge the traditional thinking on melody and harmony.

It's a fun technique that makes you think about composition in a different way but if you don't like the rules, don't use them/
What?
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 04:17
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Why have rules? 

It is a technique rather than just a set of rules just like Dogme 95 film-making - without the rules it wouldn't be Dogme 95 it would just be film-making - so 12-tone serialism without the rules would be 12-tone atonal music or chromatic music or non-12-tone serialism or just serialism. That said, rules are made to be broken and Schoenberg broke them all the time, however to be "serialism" 12-tones (or any other series of notes) have to be used to create a row or series that is then transformed - this was intended to prevent any single note or sequence from dominating the piece and to challenge the traditional thinking on melody and harmony.

It's a fun technique that makes you think about composition in a different way but if you don't like the rules, don't use them/
It's interesting, no doubt. I've looked up some info on it in the past. I personally would prefer to compose without that technique, that's all.  
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 07:06

Why have rules? 

It's interesting, no doubt. I've looked up some info on it in the past. I personally would prefer to compose without that technique, that's all.  
I know your user name is "irrelevant" but I now wonder what you are doing in this thread if it is not to troll.
What?
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 07:19

Why have rules? 

I know your user name is "irrelevant" but I now wonder what you are doing in this thread if it is not to troll.
Can't I sum up my thoughts at under a paragraph? I just wanted to say that the compositional technique is not one I'm a fan of. A bit useless to the thread, I know, but I make up for it with the mentioning of Blotted Science (12 tone instrumental prog death metal). 
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 09:42

Why have rules? 

Can't I sum up my thoughts at under a paragraph? I just wanted to say that the compositional technique is not one I'm a fan of. A bit useless to the thread, I know, but I make up for it with the mentioning of Blotted Science (12 tone instrumental prog death metal). 

"Why have rules."

I might add that all rules are in art are a way of understanding music logically. You can't understand music without limiting yourself. Limiting yourself creates parameters to work without, and if those parameters were not there then you'd be confused by the infinite number of options. I don't know whether you compose music or not, but if you do then you abide by rules, even if you don't know about it. I hear a lot of folk say "If it sounds good then it sounds good." Well, it sounding good is a rule. Also, rules derive from what sounds good or not.

Regarding serialism, it relies heavily on logic and structure. It's mathematical. Shoenberg actually said it was LESS free than tonal music, and the reason being that serialism doesn't have a tonic reference point. In its place you have to create structure out of the atonalism, which is where Arnold's techniques come in. Rhythm also plays a major part in this.

They aren't "rules", because... well, you can do what the hell you like. Whether it's good or not however depends on the presence of logical structure.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 11:57

I've never heard of Blotted Science before but your description of "12 tone instrumental prog death metal" was irresistible.  Just checked this out and was blown away...it's clearly not serial music (and doesn't follow the highly structured rules) but definitely sounds 12 tone to my ears.  And the video is HP Lovecraft's worst nightmare...and just in time for Halloween. 

Thanks irrelevant, you made my day Thumbs Up

Edited by The.Crimson.King - October 29 2013 at 13:05
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 15:17
This might interest you:

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=Tc2FMt

In the last part I used a twelvetone row played forward and backwards so the two rows together form one symmetrical row of 24 notes. Then I generated nine new rows, using a special system I designed myself. The eleventh row, played towards the end together with some other, unrelated musical material – mainly to prevent the piece from dying out with only one instrument playing – is identical to the first.

I’m not sure if it qualifies as serial music, but it’s pretty close.

Edited by refugee - October 29 2013 at 15:29
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 15:20
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Why have rules? 

"Why have rules."

I might add that all rules are in art are a way of understanding music logically. You can't understand music without limiting yourself. Limiting yourself creates parameters to work without, and if those parameters were not there then you'd be confused by the infinite number of options. I don't know whether you compose music or not, but if you do then you abide by rules, even if you don't know about it. I hear a lot of folk say "If it sounds good then it sounds good." Well, it sounding good is a rule. Also, rules derive from what sounds good or not.

Regarding serialism, it relies heavily on logic and structure. It's mathematical. Shoenberg actually said it was LESS free than tonal music, and the reason being that serialism doesn't have a tonic reference point. In its place you have to create structure out of the atonalism, which is where Arnold's techniques come in. Rhythm also plays a major part in this.

They aren't "rules", because... well, you can do what the hell you like. Whether it's good or not however depends on the presence of logical structure.
If I may, I'd like to add that if there are not conscious limits within which you work, you still have subconscious limits: the limits of what you're familiar with, what you know how to play, etc. For us guitarists, that mostly consists of the pentatonic scale. Tongue

That's why have rules.

Of course, it doesn't have to be those rules specifically or even rules related to the acknowledged parameters of the music itself, but rules are always present, so you might as well devise ones that can, with the right amount of craft, yield works as moving as Schoenberg's, Webern's, or Berg's.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>