Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRecommendations for Univers Zero

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 07:24
Heh.  I started with Heresie and enjoyed it.  But then I'm funny that way.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 04:24
I started with Heresie and liked it. I like the remix /re-master as well. Rhythmix is possibly the most symphonic of their releases. Heatwave and Uzed are fine. Which means the archive release Relaps should be included.

I have flexible rule of thumb that if Andy Kirk is on the album, get it. Great death music. :)  Ceux Du De Hors is exquisite. Clivages has more writers and is quite a broad spectrum of ideas. The Live album is heaven. I, er, don't really find much in UZ that I don't like. Haven't really tried to not like them either. Obviously, I am not objective. LOL

For fun, compare Charles Ives' Central Park After Dark; the inspiration for the (very) darkly humourous Central Belgium After Dark on Crawling Wind. 

The first 2 Present albums (on 1 CD) are also essential. This is virtually another aspect of UZ with Denis helping Roger Trigaux out, though they' pretty much go their own paths creatively.

The only albums I regret no familiarity with are Daniel Denis' two solo albums. My guess is they are not too far from UZ.

If I were reviewing releases they'd all have a minimum of 4 stars.

Edited by uduwudu - March 13 2014 at 04:24
pawel_98 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 03:12
I also started with Heresie, the first UZ's track I listened to was La Faulx and in my opinion it is definitely their best track ever. However, I'm a little bit disappointed by the new remix (2010) of this piece. I don't like the way they remixed the voice that is too deformed. And that's why I'm trying to find previous version on CD. Eventually, I'll buy the new one and try to become accustomed to it Wink

Ceux du Dehors and UZED are nice too. First two Present's albums are also awesome but they are still the only Present's albums I have listened to so far. What do you think about the new UZ's album Phosphorescent Dreams? It is a bit different than previous albums but I like it. In my opinion it is good album for people who want to begin with UZ and are not familiar with more experimental music.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2014 at 10:29
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

Is there a brighter side to this group that I'm missing??

There is and it's called 'Crawling Wind' EP. It sounds much brighter than their studio albums at that time.

I love Crawling Wind and would echo what some have already recommended in Uzed and Heatwave. And please check out PRESENT they are incredible.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 11:17

Just saw this posted by Steve Feigenbaum of Cumeiform Records

In approximately one week, all rights to all of our Univers Zero titles will revert to the band.

At that time, we will immediately take them down from our bandcamp page, so if you want them, you should get them right now:
https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/

At that time, we will instruct all 3rd party digital providers (e-music, Amazon digital, iTunes, etc) to take them down, so, once again, if you want them, you should act soon.

We will still have the rights to sell what we have in stock in physical form until they are gone. In some cases we don't have very many, and, in yet one more final 'again', you should not wait too long if you are interested in these.
http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Departments/UZ.aspx

Thank you for your interest.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12