4 [44.44%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Sabbath Live with Dio
    Posted: November 01 2013 at 23:17
Which of this two live albums do you like better and why. If you could comment about the performance, sound quality, etc, it would be nice. I too couldn't make this poll on prog related... though I remember polls could be done at that part of the forum before, so I don't know what happened there.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 23:22
I love both, but I'll spin the Hammersmith show again sometime this weekend. Be forewarned, I love All Things Dio (with maybe a couple exceptions that have nothing to do with his voice/vocals).
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 23:55
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I love both, but I'll spin the Hammersmith show again sometime this weekend. Be forewarned, I love All Things Dio (with maybe a couple exceptions that have nothing to do with his voice/vocals).

Likewise!  Hammersmith has a more comprehensive collection of classic Dio/Sabbath material.  I play guitar to the entire "Heaven and Hell" CD to warm up, it is great fun to jam to!

Odd, the band never played "Walk Away" live to my knowledge....one of my favorite tunes!

I never did see the Dio Sabbath version live, but I did see RJD solo show in Minneapolis, probably 1990, and it was the precursor to their reunion!  Geezer Butler and Bill Ward joined Dio onstage.  GREAT show, mostly Rainbow and BS tunes!!  A good time was had by all!  
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 00:02
I too love Dio's. Actually I'm pretty new to his singing, having only heard Rainbow's Rising and On Stage, but I'm really hooked with those ones and I want to check out Black Sabbath with Dio too. Dio is (or was ) so much better singer than Ozzy, and just by singing he gives the songs such a heavy sound that I've got to have more from him.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 01:48
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I never did see the Dio Sabbath version live, but I did see RJD solo show in Minneapolis, probably 1990, and it was the precursor to their reunion! Geezer Butler and Bill Ward joined Dio onstage. GREAT show, mostly Rainbow and BS tunes!! A good time was had by all!

Hot stuff, indeed! Do you remember the date of the show?

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I too love Dio's. Actually I'm pretty new to his singing, having only heard Rainbow's Rising and On Stage, but I'm really hooked with those ones and I want to check out Black Sabbath with Dio too. Dio is (or was ) so much better singer than Ozzy, and just by singing he gives the songs such a heavy sound that I've got to have more from him.

If all you've heard are Rising and On Stage, you're in for quite the ride! Grab the 1st & 3drd studio albums by Rainbow, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow and Long Live Rock 'n Roll. I assume you've heard, or plan to get Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules?

Dio's first two solo albums Holy Diver and The Last In Line are mandatory. Personally, I also enjoy the third (Sacred Heart) as much. That was the last album with Vivian Campbell on guitar. Dio has other great solos, like Killing The Dragon, but start at the beginning.

Then there's Dio's pre-Rainbow band Elf, but we're already moving a bit fast.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 13:30
Hammersmith Odeon.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 00:25

I never did see the Dio Sabbath version live, but I did see RJD solo show in Minneapolis, probably 1990, and it was the precursor to their reunion! Geezer Butler and Bill Ward joined Dio onstage. GREAT show, mostly Rainbow and BS tunes!! A good time was had by all!

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

If all you've heard are Rising and On Stage, you're in for quite the ride! Grab the 1st & 3drd studio albums by Rainbow, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow and Long Live Rock 'n Roll. I assume you've heard, or plan to get Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules?

Dio's first two solo albums Holy Diver and The Last In Line are mandatory. Personally, I also enjoy the third (Sacred Heart) as much. That was the last album with Vivian Campbell on guitar. Dio has other great solos, like Killing The Dragon, but start at the beginning.

Then there's Dio's pre-Rainbow band Elf, but we're already moving a bit fast.

I had been planning on getting only those two albums from Rainbow, with what I would assume was their best albums... plus with "On Stage" I got a look into the other two studio albums (specially the first). But now, I believe I do want to get those two other albums, plus another live album, the Nuremberg one caught my interest, so that it would include a bit from rising too (specially for "Stargazer" live).

As far as Black Sabbath goes, I definitley had planned on getting "Heaven and Hell" and a live album (that's what I'm doing this poll for), at least. However, the second album may be interesting too (plus, I think the only way to get the Hammersmith Odeon live album is in a special edition of the second album). On the other hand, I've seen on Amazon a box-set of the Dio years, with the 3 studio albums plus "Live Evil", and I'm almost convinced that's the way to go, but then I would be stuck with "Live Evil" and would have a rather hard time getting "Hammersmith Odeon", without duplicating "Mob Rules", which I don't intend to do. I guess the other option is getting the first two albums, making sure to get the special edition with Hammersmith. I've read that the third one is really bad... perhaps instead of getting that I could get the "Heaven and Hell" live album from the 2000's. Or once again, I could just get the Box-set and not over-complicate myself.

About solo Dio, that's the last one I had thought about, but there's a live album at my local store that includes two shows, one from early 80's and another later on the decade, and that one seems interesting enough, and I guess it covers the most interesting material from him. I guess I could track those two albums you recommend too. Now, I must see in which order I want to do this thing.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 03:41
I have yet to hear a bad song sung by Ronnie James Dio!  The man was absolutely amazing!  

Iommi's lead guitar work on this song is scary-good!  He must have taken lessons!  Enjoy!   I can't begin to tell you how much fun this material is to play on guitar & bass!!  

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 03:52

Thank God for the Internet, the friend of prog fans everywhere! 

I'm sure it was the "Lock Up The Wolves" tour in 26 August, 1990, in St. Paul, MN!  Yngwie Malmsteen was the opening act, he was *meh!*  

Dio was amazing....as was his band!  RIP Ronnie!  

ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 04:17
Both sound to me pretty similar, so I don't vote.

Actually I prefer studio stuff with Dio, 'cause I don't feel that he sounded well on Ozzy-era songs.
This night wounds time.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 20:10
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Both sound to me pretty similar, so I don't vote.Actually I prefer studio stuff with Dio, 'cause I don't feel that he sounded well on Ozzy-era songs.

Oh, but I do want to hear Ozzy era songs sung by Dio. At least to make my own opinion about whether I like them or not. I definitley think Dio is the better singer, but I do understand the songs may just as well not be fit for Dio's voice, and thus sound better with Ozzy. But I still have to hear them to form my own opinion.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 21:05
I saw Black Sabbath with Dio (also in Minneapolis) in '81 I think, it was the Black & Blue tour when they co-headlined with Blue Oyster Cult. They were both horrible. Part of the blame goes to the organizers or the venue or whoever decides  how the stage is set up because they had speaker stacks at the front edge of the stage and our seats were to the left of the stage. We could see their toes once in a while when they got near the front of the stage. They pushed the volume way beyond the capacity of the system and it sounded like hell. No heaven whatsoever. My friend stuck cigarette butts in his ears in an attempt to avoid deafness. Well, that and to try to be funny. I liked Heaven and Hell quite a bit at the time and BOC a few years earlier was one of the best shows i ever saw, but after that show my ears rang for weeks and I resented it and never went back to either of those bands.

Sorry for being so negative...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 22:00
^ they didn't sound much better for Mob Rules tour--  Dio may have a more pleasing voice than Ozzy but his lyrics are utter nonsense, whereas Ozzy usually had something to say that was real or heartfelt.

Post Reply Post Reply