Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCausa Sui

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Causa Sui
    Posted: November 02 2013 at 04:54
I've been having their newest album Euporie Tide on frequent rotation this autumn, and it continues my home country's streak of putting out some of the best retro-psychedelic music in recent years. (see also Baby Woodrose and related bands or the superlative stoner doom group Moonless)

What I really like is that they've successfully modernized the more drawn-out jam-centered variety of psychedelic space rock as embodied by the more guitar-oriented Krautrock groups as well as early Hawkwind and Hendrix' Band of Gypsys (in particular out of his discography), while keeping everything that made those artists worth listening to. The instrumental interplay on Euporie Tide is really something else, as is the adept use of contrast between different textures in the same track - it's the kind of record I find new depths in every single time I listen to. The downside is that it requires a pretty high level of contentration while listening to appreciate fully.

Apparently they didn't arrive at this distinctive sound until the Summer Sessions series, though, if I go by the reviews here: Their first two studio albums include vocals and are more focused on traditional hard rock songwriting with some psychedelic touches, but I might look into the S/T and Free Ride too. Has anyone here heard the Pewt'r Sessions records, by the way? There's no reviews for them and the ratings aren't as high as for Summer Sessions or Euporie Tide.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 11:18
Agree they are great !
But i dont the older albums.

Edited by tamijo - November 02 2013 at 11:20
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 11:43
I've got their latest on my "to get" list. Julian Cope loves this latest record and i've heard samples which convinced me I need this.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 11:46
Euporie Tide is pretty good, I've listened to it a handful of times. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 23:28
I've sampled Summer Sessions and Euporie and like them both.....now I have over 30 things on my list to buy.
LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 01:54
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Agree they are great !

You don't what the older albums? Confused
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 01:57
Borrowed a copy of Free Ride (2007) from a mate yesterday. So its my morning listen (right now)
The sound is not as perfect as on the later albums. But i like it !
The fact that there is vocals, and the 70's stoner rock jam sound  brings me back to Woodstock (Christiania), back in my teens in the late 70's.
But honestly, the sound is a bit muddy and  the music seems to be less refined at this point.

On a side note, if you like this kind of music you should definately check out this german outfit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-g81b-PLdQ
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 01:57
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Agree they are great !

You don't what the older albums? Confused

was trying to say i dont know them, but now i do.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 02:01
And yes, Causa Sui and Colour Haze do sound very similar. I think CS was for most of their career on CH's record label. I find what I've heard from CH much heavier, though, like a hypothetical collaboration between Frank Zappa and Blue Cheer.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 02:05
Yes agreed they are Heavier
dogen View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 05:02
I'M JUST GETTING INTO THIS BAND, COURTESY OF TOASTER. THEIR STUFF IS HARD TO GET AT A REASONABLE PRICE ON CD IN THE UK. MAY NEED MP3 WHICH IS NOT MY PREFERRED FORMAT. GOT SS 1.

(whoops upper case error. Sorry!)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2013 at 13:29
I've finally heard one of their old albums, Free Ride. It is indeed heavier and less complex than Euporie Tide, but it's still got way more ambitious songwriting than usual for modern-day "stoner rock" (I hate that term) groups. At the same time, it's somehow catchier yet less "tight" compositionally: There's way more emphasis on Blue Cheer/Jimi Hendrix Experience/Black Sabbath-style heavy bluesy riffing, but the "Kosmische Musik" spirit's still there just taken in different directions.

The respective album titles sum the difference up well, I think.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 00:17
I've heard their most recent and it's nice and something I should probably get at some point.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 08:36
I've just got in to Causa Sui, it needs more recognition on this site! I have heard, and just ordered summer sessions Vols 1-3 on vinyl, very excited for their arrival. Those albums have such a nice feel to them. Loving Euporie Tide at the moment as well, a new direction that I think really works, and will potentially broaden their audience. I did download the pewt'r sessions, I haven't listened much but I can't really get into them, as there is far less space (a big component of the music) and it is much heavier and darker. It may well click at a later date but at the moment I really like the laid back 'summery' vibe of the summer sessions and that is continued somewhat on Euporie Tide. 

Anyone else think that Europie Tide is unbelievably well produced and rich sounding?
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 09:17
A nice post about Causa and their record company here :

Jzrk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 21:11
I have found them through this site and have listened to some of their music and I am impressed.I heard some bits and pieces of he summer sessions which seemed very mellow.Is that the majority of the music or are there more energized parts?
Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2014 at 08:59
I'd really recommend Euporie Tide for anyone new to the band. This one is a bit more song orientated,energetic and structured.
Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2014 at 02:58
NEW ALBUM is out 18th august. A new pewt'r session. In fact, a side-long track from the album is streaming on soundcloud; 

https://soundcloud.com/elparaiso/causa-sui-incipiency-suite

Very excited, as they went in a much more jazzy direction. I like pyschedelic jazz! I think it's an improvement on the other pewt'r sessions. It also sounds like Amor Fati, the recent Jakob Skott solo album, in parts. I like the way that it is separated into different and eclectic sections.

Edited by Hnrz - July 25 2014 at 06:09
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2015 at 00:48
I think I prefer this band's live albums over the studio efforts. Hell 99% of the music sounds like it was lifted straight from a jam, so maybe that isn't at all strange. My current fave is Live at the Freak Valley.

Also their most recent Pewt 3's sidelong jam, as linked to above, sees the band venturing into something I'd call avantguarde psych. A very strange tune - definitely for Causa Sui....but I think it suits them very well. There's only so much you can do inside a framework of old school riffing a la Sabbath n Jimi. On here they seem to have ditched the structure altogether.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2015 at 01:51
I've been looking for darker, heavier stuff lately and have been playing some Causa Sui and Colour Haze.
So far I've found Euporie Tide and Pewt'r Sessions 1 & 2 from CS and Tempel, She Said and Co2 from CH.
I really like everything I've played.

Anyone interested in long psych rock jams with heavy Hendrix style guitar I would suggest Solar Corona by
The Machine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>