Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThoughts on Band Camp (bandcamp)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 19:48
We use Bandcamp to share our music with the world for free. Not because it has no value but because we are well aware that it has limited appeal to a select few. We don't know who they are so it's available to everyone. Funny thing is somehow someone out there downloaded it and distributed it to numerous download sites around the world, mostly in Russia by the looks of it. A couple of them are charging for the downloads which I find humorous because it's available for free on about a dozen websites thanks to the pirates. So yes, in a way we're being ripped off but I seriously doubt any real money is being made with our esoteric musings.

I don't really promote it because I don't think that works. People have a completely different reaction to music when their attention is alerted to it via solicitation than when they find it on their own. Instead I try to put subtle hints here and there.

I really like the stats they give you. You can see where your traffic is coming from. I'm really pleased to see how much of it comes from progarchives.com.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 19:46
Originally posted by RyanElliott RyanElliott wrote:

Originally posted by TheGreatSopko TheGreatSopko wrote:

I love bandcamp! It gives my band their own website and lets us sell our music on there site without a monthly charge. They will take some out of each purchase of the song but its better than paying iTunes $90 and get less than half out of every purchase. Plus i can customize my page and it can show up on the bandcamp homepage if enough people buy our music! Plus its the best possible way to get our music out without a record deal.  

That's great to see you utilising it so well! A question I however may wish to ask is how to do you encourage your fans to pay via bandcamp instead of somewhere else, say Itunes? Writing the aforementioned blog on my part my help but any ideas on how to promote your music via that page more effectively?

I don't know how to promote more effectively on bandcamp unless you already have fans and you use particular tags and you become the top seller in extremely common tags. This is kind of the beauty of bandcamp as it forces you to advertise elsewhere.

smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 19:20
But artists can sell physical copies over Bandcamp if they have them
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 18:51
It's a good service. Always a plus to have band sanctioned samples to listen to (If not whole albums). Certainly can't replace physical media, but it's probably the best alternative to it out there.

Edited by Man With Hat - November 05 2013 at 18:52
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 18:47
I use bandcamp and many artists I admire and/or artists I know use it, too. I think it's incredible. I'm able to put all my stuff in one place, organize it, and in the future, sell it. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get the amount of success I have (which isn't very much, but i digress) if all I had was, like, Mediafire and the like.

Edited by smartpatrol - November 05 2013 at 18:49
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 18:37
Originally posted by RyanElliott RyanElliott wrote:

I love bandcamp! It gives my band their own website and lets us sell our music on there site without a monthly charge. They will take some out of each purchase of the song but its better than paying iTunes $90 and get less than half out of every purchase. Plus i can customize my page and it can show up on the bandcamp homepage if enough people buy our music! Plus its the best possible way to get our music out without a record deal.  

That's great to see you utilising it so well! A question I however may wish to ask is how to do you encourage your fans to pay via bandcamp instead of somewhere else, say Itunes? Writing the aforementioned blog on my part my help but any ideas on how to promote your music via that page more effectively?

For me, the main selling point is FLAC.
RyanElliott View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 18:31

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 18:27
Some of my yearly Top 10 albums come from this amazing website. Great website. Anyone who hasn't tried to use it, I suggest devoting an hour or two and end up with a dozen albums or bands you're in love with.

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
TheGreatSopko View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 17:26

Check us out: (we play prog rock!)
http://www.facebook.com/KingsAwakening

Watch as Kings Awakening revives Progressive Rock : http://www.youtube.com/KingsAwakening
http://www.facebook.com/KingsAwakening
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 15:09
Absolutely love love love bandcamp.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 14:38
Anyone that doesn't use bandcamp is insane. There's so much great music to experience by bands that no one has ever heard of.
RyanElliott View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 14:18

Hello Prog Archives, 

I was wondering about people's thoughts on Band Camp. Similarly to myself, I imagine many here stand as advocates of physical music. But since Digital music and streaming is flourishing more than ever before, I am curious about what services that are out there that allow artists to see more income out of it. 

I have written this recent article in my blog about Band Camp being a digital service that is moving digital music forward, making music sales digitally more beneficial for the artist as well as the fans. 

How many artists here use Band Camp? How many fans use it to download music? I'll be interested to see the results.

Many thanks! 

Edited by RyanElliott - November 05 2013 at 15:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234