Topic ClosedHoward Stern on Dream Theater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2013 at 19:34
Opie and Anthony on Miles Davis Kind of Blue

"this song is NINE minutes long!"

and it was actually funny.  It's not about facts or fairness. It's entertaining commentary. I don't think anyone would really think that Miles Davis sucked because his song was 9 minutes long.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2013 at 19:39
Oh, I found Howard really annoying. I've known about him for years and years indeed. I think I even saw fragments of a movie about him. But Had never really heard some part of one of his shows. And him talking about Dream Theater certainly was not the way to apreciate him... specially given that I love "The Mirror". And the keyboards are really great on that song; take them away and you take away half the greatness of that song. But however, I understand it may be more show of his part than any real opinion.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 12:21
Hi,

The whoriing one has to do to get some attention and fame!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 04:55
I recall an interview with ELP. Carl Palmer, Greg Lake, and Howard Stern with their high school/elementary humour...while Keith Emerson said nothing. Howard Stern made it a point to keep asking Keith Emerson the following: "Keith, dude, you gotta lighten up"...or "Keith, what is your problem man?" This may have been around the time that Keith Emerson smashed his fist through a wall. Recall that? ELP were having some sort of gathering with the record executives and BLACK MOON had just been released. Nevertheless....why would you have a Progressive Rock innovator on your radio show and not discuss anything serious about their music?.........But yet ask senseless questions like "Keith, are you alright?" "Dude, you should lighten up"   Of course he's alright...he's definitely alright! He's Keith Emerson..and not some degenerate who sits on a radio talk show discussing elementary garbage.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 09:09
It was a comical sarcastic comedy method of profound profundity between Howard and Robin that drew people in to their morning show. People driving to work listening or playing his show in the work place gave Americans hope that there was something different to look foward to other than their day to day alpha and omega. But after a while I thought..."Why does he bother having 70's Prog bands on his show when clearly his whole concept is to make fun of almost everything in life...but mostly the serious side to life. Unlike Zappa though because he had a deeper outlook on subjects that annoyed him. I always wanted Zappa to put Stern in his place

First Howard and Robin would mock the melody and lyrics of "In the Court of the Crimson King" and then a week later Greg Lake would be on the show...and you would just feel that Greg Lake was aware of it , found it laughable, and that this was all part of a game. Sometimes I agreed with Howard Stern's viewpoints..for example...one morning Ian Anderson played acoustic songs from the "Catfish Rising" period which I absolutely loathed. Howard Stern asked him to stop playing the new songs (in so many words), and told Ian Anderson that he liked the "old" Tull. Howard Stern was rude but honest . I felt a bit discouraged over any Tull album that proceeded "Stormwatch" and Howard was busting stones that day which caused me to question...Why? Why was I so let down by the new music of Tull.

He was honest..but what he was doing didn't help the social image of Prog. Prog had always been represented by DJ's who were hardcore fans, took the music seriously, and presented it as education into a new realm of music appreciation. Howard was taking it and throwing it by the wayside because it was on his agenda to become a popular radio talk show host. He would first make fun of King Crimson and within the next breath he would tell everyone how great Joe Walsh was. Confused

Edited by TODDLER - November 11 2013 at 09:56
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 12:13
I don't disagree with him
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 14:45
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Wait a minute!

I can't believe that you llisten to this goon talk about any kind of music and take him seriously.

The only opinions he has that make sense and sound right are the ones about T & A, but that is not open for discussion here in this board!

Lose him! There is better music out there than anything he will ever mention or care about!

I would never take anything Howard Stern said about music seriously. haha
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 15:25
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

It was a comical sarcastic comedy method of profound profundity between Howard and Robin that drew people in to their morning show. People driving to work listening or playing his show in the work place gave Americans hope that there was something different to look foward to other than their day to day alpha and omega. But after a while I thought..."Why does he bother having 70's Prog bands on his show when clearly his whole concept is to make fun of almost everything in life...but mostly the serious side to life. Unlike Zappa though because he had a deeper outlook on subjects that annoyed him. I always wanted Zappa to put Stern in his place
First Howard and Robin would mock the melody and lyrics of "In the Court of the Crimson King" and then a week later Greg Lake would be on the show...and you would just feel that Greg Lake was aware of it , found it laughable, and that this was all part of a game. Sometimes I agreed with Howard Stern's viewpoints..for example...one morning Ian Anderson played acoustic songs from the "Catfish Rising" period which I absolutely loathed. Howard Stern asked him to stop playing the new songs (in so many words), and told Ian Anderson that he liked the "old" Tull. Howard Stern was rude but honest . I felt a bit discouraged over any Tull album that proceeded "Stormwatch" and Howard was busting stones that day which caused me to question...Why? Why was I so let down by the new music of Tull.

He was honest..but what he was doing didn't help the social image of Prog. Prog had always been represented by DJ's who were hardcore fans, took the music seriously, and presented it as education into a new realm of music appreciation. Howard was taking it and throwing it by the wayside because it was on his agenda to become a popular radio talk show host. He would first make fun of King Crimson and within the next breath he would tell everyone how great Joe Walsh was. Confused

Howard actually likes a lot of the music he disses. You can't really take anything he says seriously, but when he does really like something, he will heap mountains of praise on it. He'd never have Greg Lake on his show if he didn't like him. Greg Lake is not John Mayer or Will.i.am.

And hey, Joe Walsh IS great!
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 16:47
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Howard actually likes a lot of the music he disses. You can't really take anything he says seriously, but when he does really like something, he will heap mountains of praise on it. He'd never have Greg Lake on his show if he didn't like him. Greg Lake is not John Mayer or Will.i.am.

And hey, Joe Walsh IS great!
He's great at what he is doing...which is how I basically feel. His Rock guitar work on "Rides Again", his lead work in "Hotel California" (although overdubbed several times), but "I loss my license now I don't drive" is a lyric that makes my stomach turn....but anyway...people on this site tend to make fun of Peter Frampton because he was a Pop Star and used a moronic talkbox...(well actually Walsh did too in the dreadful song "Rocky Mountain Way"), but no one gives Frampton credit for his amazing Blues/Rock guitar style , (sometimes Jazzy), on Humble Pie's "Rockin' the Fillmore". I certainly never heard Joe Walsh play guitar like Frampton does on the Fillmore and not in a million years. Joe Walsh is cool on this site because he played some guitar with Carl Palmer on WORKS VOL.1? Keith Emerson liked Randy Bachman who was not very good and Carl Palmer liked Joe Walsh who was just okay. Emerson was a brilliant pianist and Palmer a superb drummer..but they really don't know what being a diverse guitarist is all about. I would only hear people raving about Joe Walsh and putting down Peter Frampton at a Prog festival and never a Rock concert...which makes no sense at all and is very moronic. Stern was a moron when it came to opinions about music. Not his taste, but his comparisons and judgements. Yeah...I never took his musical opinions seriously, but it sucks that he announced them for the world to believe in and caused people to mock some pretty excellent musicians all because he was saying it. That's complete B.S. in life.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 17:08
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Hi,

Wait a minute!

I can't believe that you llisten to this goon talk about any kind of music and take him seriously.

The only opinions he has that make sense and sound right are the ones about T & A, but that is not open for discussion here in this board!

Lose him! There is better music out there than anything he will ever mention or care about!

Why not? He was smart enough to tell the difference between "Thick as a Brick" and some mainstream Dire Straits sounding rubbish production like "Catfish Rising" wasn't he? He just wasn't open enough to understand that great musicians sometimes played music he hated. If he hated it, he called it garbage and would rate some third rate Pop musician above it. That's how his mind worked. It's like Bill O'Reilly and Dennis Miller praising "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida". They are both highly intelligent individuals. They may be super informative on politics, but have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to music and musicians. Most great musicians might put a gun to their head if they were asked to play that stupied, pathetic piece of elementary garbage production that people in this world give credit to.The drum solo is annoying, the tone of the guitar is just plain awful, the vocalist is worse than Bob Dylan ...in fact I could tolerate Dylan more, and the cheesy organ is horrible. All of the great epic Rock or Psychedelic Rock music of the 60's and they bring up something trashy like that? Something that hippies made fun of? Where did these guys go to college? Did Madison Avenue get a hold of the hippies that went to college with them? Rhino and Pinera played guitar with Iron Butterfly and they were about as horrible as Mark Farner from Grand Funk Railroad. All the bands we used to make fun of in the 60's and 70's are now the bands that the media raves over. What a reverse that is. How about doing some research on tasteful musicians before you go on national television and announce that Iron Butterfly were impeccable or that a genius must have written In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida?  
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 17:08
I've always like Joe and his guitar playing (and vocals), and I say this as a NON-Eagles fan. Don Felder's guitar lines are what make "Hotel California" listenable, not anything Joe did. I far prefer Joe on his solo albums. His is a very melodic, lyrical style of playing. I've never really heard anyone put down Frampton (do you mean on this site specifically?). I think the only thing that may work against Frampton is FM overplay.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 17:23

Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Hi,

Wait a minute!

Why not? He was smart enough to tell the difference between "Thick as a Brick" and some mainstream Dire Straits sounding rubbish production like "Catfish Rising" wasn't he? He just wasn't open enough to understand that great musicians sometimes played music he hated. If he hated it, he called it garbage and would rate some third rate Pop musician above it. That's how his mind worked. It's like Bill O'Reilly and Dennis Miller praising "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida". They are both highly intelligent individuals. They may be super informative on politics, but have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to music and musicians. Most great musicians might put a gun to their head if they were asked to play that stupied, pathetic piece of elementary garbage production that people in this world give credit to.The drum solo is annoying, the tone of the guitar is just plain awful, the vocalist is worse than Bob Dylan ...in fact I could tolerate Dylan more, and the cheesy organ is horrible. All of the great epic Rock or Psychedelic Rock music of the 60's and they bring up something trashy like that? Something that hippies made fun of? Where did these guys go to college? Did Madison Avenue get a hold of the hippies that went to college with them? Rhino and Pinera played guitar with Iron Butterfly and they were about as horrible as Mark Farner from Grand Funk Railroad. All the bands we used to make fun of in the 60's and 70's are now the bands that the media raves over. What a reverse that is. How about doing some research on tasteful musicians before you go on national television and announce that Iron Butterfly were impeccable or that a genius must have written In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida?  

I wouldn't listen to him because in my opinion, no matter how "anti-establishment" he pretended to be, Howard Stern did not support the underground.

But dude I always love your rants. haha
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2013 at 09:54
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I've always like Joe and his guitar playing (and vocals), and I say this as a NON-Eagles fan. Don Felder's guitar lines are what make "Hotel California" listenable, not anything Joe did. I far prefer Joe on his solo albums. His is a very melodic, lyrical style of playing. I've never really heard anyone put down Frampton (do you mean on this site specifically?). I think the only thing that may work against Frampton is FM overplay.
It's just the principal of things. Although I could not listen to Humble Pie if I tried, On the Humble Pie albums...Safe As Yesterday Is, Town & Country, Humble Pie, Rock On and Rockin' the Fillmore ..he plays some very nice guitar work. Rock leads where he drifts off outside the typical Pentatonic scale and improvises more jazzy, beautiful, electric and acoustic work. Then after his departure he became a "Pop Star" twiddling with a plastic toy talk box, writing commercial Pop songs and looking very much like a David Cassidy from the Partridge Family days. But I would bet my first born male child that if you asked him to figure out the guitar playing in "Yours Is No Disgrace", he would be able to naturally do it more quickly and precisely than any rocker around. And that's where I have a beef with snooty prog people who assume that his "Pop Star" image prevails over all and his talents and abilitles as a guitarist is just as limited as the "birdbrain" who played slop leads in Foghat or Grand Funk. Yeah....what good is it? He doesn't play prog right? But he still deserves credit for being a clean and melodic player and shouldn't be damned just because he sold out.

Edited by TODDLER - November 12 2013 at 09:56
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 04:29
Aside from Awake Dream Theater really does nothing for me
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 10:38
Howard pokes fun at everyone, so I'm not sure why this would offend anyone.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 10:58
Originally posted by Prog Snob Prog Snob wrote:

Howard pokes fun at everyone, so I'm not sure why this would offend anyone.
Because people who were Stern fanatics often tried to ignore his comments that offended them and couldn't get used to the idea that he poked at everyone. Mass audiences on the east coast listened to him everyday...in their cars..on the way to work. Some people thinking he was very funny...couldn't always take his humour in it's entirety. He had a way...verbally...of sticking a knife in someone's stomach and twisting it or making someone feel as if they wanted to pull their hair out. I remember at his peak......people thinking it was real cute to repeat his lines and cop his attitude. Yet...they would get offended themselves. You don't remember this happening?
Genital Giant View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 19:16
 I saw Dream Theater open up for Yes on their 35th Anniversary tour. My friend, also a big Yes fan, turned to me and said "this is the worst music I've ever heard in my life!" and I yelled back "I agree!". Dream Theater suffers from a lot of masturbatory playing with no musicality behind it all. It's Prog done wrong.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 19:31
Lost my taste for DT long ago. That said, not sure why anyone cares about the opinion of someone who hasn't been relevant in ...well...ever.

Originally posted by Genital Giant Genital Giant wrote:

...masturbatory playing...

Much like the slinging of worn out jargon.

Edited by Tapfret - November 21 2013 at 19:33
mmmreesescups View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 20:38

I saw Dream Theater open up for Yes on their 35th Anniversary tour. My friend, also a big Yes fan, turned to me and said "this is the worst music I've ever heard in my life!" and I yelled back "I agree!". Dream Theater suffers from a lot of masturbatory playing with no musicality behind it all. It's Prog done wrong.

Have you heard their Images and Words album? Masturbatory? Unhappy
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 20:48

Oh well, I actually like Dream Theater because I really love many of their melodies. Yeah sure, they have many moments where they just play fast and technical just for the sake of it, but many of those songs have strong melodic segments, which are the reason I like them. Of course, not all songs have melodies I like, some just have technical segments with no beauty, which I end up dismissing. Others don't even have much of the technical aspect and are just plain boring. There's quiet a bit to choose from this band.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>