Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Miriodor thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Miriodor thread
    Posted: November 06 2013 at 11:08
so.... based on a few recommendations I decided to listen to some Miriodor. Specifically the "Parade + Live at Nearfest 2002" album.

I started with the studio album....and, keeping in mind that this is the first time I have heard this group, was disappointed. The music kept reminding me of They Might Be Giants, only with no vocals and not as funny. "I need more time with this group" I thought to myself, keeping a stiff upper chin, as they say.......LOL

so....I then decided to listen to the "Live at Nearfest 2002" part of the album. Wow. A total 180 degree from the studio album. Most impressive and interesting. This music has some life, energy, power to it! 

Such are my first impressions of my encounter with Miriodor. If anyone else would like to recommend or talk about this group please feel free to do so.

Beer
Making the useless useful 24/7.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 11:54
Originally posted by schizoidman schizoidman wrote:

...The music kept reminding me of They Might Be Giants, only with no vocals .....
I found this hard to picture in my mind, like Sesame Street without the Muppets.LOL
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 12:09
Great great band with many excellent albums, saw them at ProgDay earlier this year & again back in 2010 in Washington. My favorite album is Avanti! but you can't go wrong with Cobra Fakir, Joggleries Elastique, or Mekano
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
schizoidman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 12:09
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

...The music kept reminding me of They Might Be Giants, only with no vocals .....
I found this hard to picture in my mind, like Sesame Street without the Muppets.LOL

I will try to explain my statement....the Miriodor music's sentiment (not the music itself) conjured up the feeling of humor and technical know-how....so much so that in my effort to categorize it I found They Might Be Giants as a group that does similar conjuring. Other than that, there isn't much in common with the music of those two groups.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 12:13
Does anyone have the correct pronunciation of their name?? I am going with "My - RIO - Door" as it's kind of.....funny....to me anyway....

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 16:05
Mih-rio-door
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 23:07
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Great great band with many excellent albums, saw them at ProgDay earlier this year & again back in 2010 in Washington. My favorite album is Avanti! but you can't go wrong with Cobra Fakir, Joggleries Elastique, or Mekano

I listened to Avanti! when it first came out and never went back to it. I listened to it again today and it still escapes me. Parade (studio album, not the live one) also escapes me.   

I am enjoying Mekano very much! This album has the original studio versions of a lot of the material on the Live Nearfest Parade album.

Thanks

Edited by schizoidman - November 06 2013 at 23:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2013 at 23:12

Mih-rio-door

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 11:04
After spending a week or so listening to Rencontres, Jongleries Elastiques, Mekano, Parade, Avanti! and Cobra Fakir I have come to the conclusion that most of their material is not for me.

Reason being: I like a piece of music to pretty much find and keep a groove going. Add to and subtract from and modify a stable structure. And that is exactly what Miriodor doesn't do. Same reason I have yet to explore Zappa's material.

I really, really like parts of quite a few of their songs but they change direction so drastically and so often that it causes my interest to wane. I could probably edit together about 45 minutes of their material into pieces that I can enjoy, but, I'm not into re-creating their work for my enjoyment.

I can see how some folks would like what Miriodor does. And that's great.  I'm only writing this to voice my own opinion based on my own musical tastes.

I much prefer the style of Weather Report, Big Big Train, Bruford's Earthworks, Birds and Buildings, to name a few, who get a groove going and stay within its framework.

I do like most all of Mekano and the Parade CD2 Live NEARfest 2002.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 11:25
So...am I the only one who hears the debut as an adventurous Canterbury album? 
Yeah maybe that's the wrong way of putting it as I'm not that tied up in subs and stickers, but I guess it's the easiest way of conveying what I meanEmbarrassed 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 11:35
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yeah maybe that's the wrong way of putting it as I'm not that tied up in subs and stickers, but I guess it's the easiest way of conveying what I meanEmbarrassed 

The Canterbury Scene sub genre is one that I have difficulty appreciating. I listened to some Hatfield and The North, Gong and Soft Machine a few years ago and I just could not get into them. 

I do think Miriodor's music is adventurous, too much so, for me. It confuses me! Confused

Edited by schizoidman - November 14 2013 at 11:36
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 11:42

The Canterbury Scene sub genre is one that I have difficulty appreciating. I listened to some Hatfield and The North, Gong and Soft Machine a few years ago and I just could not get into them. 

I do think Miriodor's music is adventurous, too much so, for me. It confuses me! Confused

Hey we can't all be into everything right?Tongue

Oh and regarding Canterbury: Everyone new to the scene would do themselves a big favour if they started out with Caravan - especially if they're on the look out for melodies and grooves. You probably know them, but in the case you haven't yet heard them, then I wholeheartedly recommend you check them out. Their sound is very easy to get into, I findSmile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 11:58

Oh and regarding Canterbury: Everyone new to the scene would do themselves a big favour if they started out with Caravan - especially if they're on the look out for melodies and grooves. You probably know them, but in the case you haven't yet heard them, then I wholeheartedly recommend you check them out. Their sound is very easy to get into, I findSmile

Yes. We can't! LOL

In the Land of Grey and Pink it is, then. Thanks Beer

Durakonis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 12:45
I only listened the last two albums of Miriodor, and liked them a lot.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 10:33

Yes. We can't! LOL

Well, what a pleasant surprise "In the Land of Grey and Pink" has turned out to be. 4 stars right from my first listening. Man, I love it when that happens! Thanks Beer

"In the Land of Grey and Pink" impresses me as a very English album, very much as "Selling England by the Pound" does. I can hear echoes of Traffic in some of the songs, which I mean as a compliment, as Traffic is one of my favorite groups. The rhythm section and the flute on certain songs is very Traffic-like but the vocals are nothing like Winwood's, Mason's or Capaldi's.

If this is Canterbury Scene music then I'd like another healping, please Smile
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 12:05
Go to If I Could Do It All Over Again as the next Caravan album, it has a similar feel to Pink & Grey.
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 12:12
Originally posted by Durakonis Durakonis wrote:

I only listened the last two albums of Miriodor, and liked them a lot.

That's great. I shudder to think what this world would be like if everyone had the same opinions and musical tastes as me LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 12:13

Go to If I Could Do It All Over Again as the next Caravan album, it has a similar feel to Pink & Grey.

Beer
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 12:42

Yes. We can't! LOL

Well, what a pleasant surprise "In the Land of Grey and Pink" has turned out to be. 4 stars right from my first listening. Man, I love it when that happens! Thanks Beer

"In the Land of Grey and Pink" impresses me as a very English album, very much as "Selling England by the Pound" does. I can hear echoes of Traffic in some of the songs, which I mean as a compliment, as Traffic is one of my favorite groups. The rhythm section and the flute on certain songs is very Traffic-like but the vocals are nothing like Winwood's, Mason's or Capaldi's.

LOL Everybody gets hooked when they hear Caravan - well at least all the folks I've recommended them to that is.
Glad to be of serviceSmile
I get what you're saying about the Traffic parallel - I've thought about it too actually. They've got a similar 'feel' at times.

Oh and I completely echo Ian's (Nogbad) rec! If I could do it.... is definitely the place to go next, if you dig Grey & PinkBig smile 

Others worth mentioning, that may sound completely different to Caravan yet still sound highly melodic, are:

Khan - Space Shanty
Soft Machine - Vol 1 and 2
Steve Hillage - Green
John G. Perry - Sunset Wading, Seabird
Kevin Ayers - Joy of a Toy
...and if you don't already know it and feel up for a little psychedelics in your sauce, 
then I heartily recommend:
Gong - Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 15:34

Yes. We can't! LOL

LOL Everybody gets hooked when they hear Caravan - well at least all the folks I've recommended them to that is.
Glad to be of serviceSmile
I get what you're saying about the Traffic parallel - I've thought about it too actually. They've got a similar 'feel' at times.

Oh and I completely echo Ian's (Nogbad) rec! If I could do it.... is definitely the place to go next, if you dig Grey & PinkBig smile 

Others worth mentioning, that may sound completely different to Caravan yet still sound highly melodic, are:

Khan - Space Shanty
Soft Machine - Vol 1 and 2
Steve Hillage - Green
John G. Perry - Sunset Wading, Seabird
Kevin Ayers - Joy of a Toy
...and if you don't already know it and feel up for a little psychedelics in your sauce, 
then I heartily recommend:
Gong - Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy

Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>