Poll Question: Which is better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [63.48%]
42 [36.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Led Zeppelin Or The Who?
    Posted: November 09 2013 at 09:19
2 classic rock bands, both with progressive elements and highly rated on this website but which is the better band for you? Personally, Led Zeppelin for me Smile
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 09:24
The Who have had some amazing albums, but I think overall Zeppelin takes the cake. 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 09:30
Zep for me !
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonsterMagnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 09:34
I liked The Who but Led Zeppelin is much more powerful!
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 09:36

Led Zeppelin for me too. At his best, Robert Plant seemed to be on about something. (Mordor, the land of ice and snow, battling for evermore, giving no quarter). Zep's given short thrift: for me, they're just on the other side of prog, but right at the line: British, mellotrons, fantasy lyrics, long songs, fusion of other genres (Indian, folk and Celtic music, & of course blues - their least convincing element when played straight, in my opinion [except for When the Levee Breaks]).

Edited by jude111 - November 09 2013 at 14:17
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 10:14
none in particulary, but I like both aswell
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 11:10
Led Zeppelin
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 11:21
The Who, but it is a close call.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 11:22
Both bands gave us devastating concerts and produced highly original and influential music. A side by side comparison could be an entire book. For instance, Entwistle was the better bass player, but Jones the better musician. Townsend was a better songwriter, but Page a better guitarist and arranger. For me, it has to be the mighty Led Zeppelin, though. My favorite period for The Who was the relatively short one starting with Tommy and ending with Quadrophenia. In between of course, was the mammoth Who's Next? The rest I can take or leave, but I have to have a complete collection of Led Zeppelin.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 11:41
Overall Zep's power wins the day--but like Quad and Tommy a lot--
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 13:33
Hi,

When one take in consideration the body of work and its value in literary/artistic terms, it's ahrd to think that The Who was not more valuable and important. But radio/media doesn't care about intelligence and beauty, it only cares about sales and numbers, and Led Zeppelin walked all over The Who, specially in America, although the value of The Who and their work is much more important and their last album pretty much showed that Led Zeppelin was just another band, whose meaning was ... no meaning ... just a rock'n'roll band!

And a damn good one!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 14:22
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

When one take in consideration the body of work and its value in literary/artistic terms, it's ahrd to think that The Who was not more valuable and important. But radio/media doesn't care about intelligence and beauty, it only cares about sales and numbers, and Led Zeppelin walked all over The Who, specially in America, although the value of The Who and their work is much more important and their last album pretty much showed that Led Zeppelin was just another band, whose meaning was ... no meaning ... just a rock'n'roll band!

And a damn good one!

Certainly the Who predates Zeppelin, and they were there at the first British Invasion of the US. By the way, the Who were huge in the US, and one was liable to hear on American radio Baba O'Reilly, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Behind Blue Eyes, See Me Feel Me - just as much as any Led Zep song.

American critics loved the Who, and din't have much time for Led Zep (or for Floyd, Genesis, or Tull, etc.).
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 14:27
omg both are so awesome!!! however, it has to be the former due to them being my fourth favorite artist of ALL TIME, but The Who is in the top ten for me as well
Progrockdude
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 15:12
Zep for me.  The Who had some fantastic moments in their early days, but these seemed to dwindle away as they just kept slogging along way too long.  They diluted their greatness with too many reunion tours and too many uninspired albums when they were far past their prime.  Zep OTOH started good but kept getting better and better until Bonzo's death.  Kinda funny, both bands lost their drummers just as their careers were a little past their highest point and starting to droop...for better or worse, Zep called it quits and cemented a legacy of greatness where the Who kept flogging the dolphin and tarnishing their reputation.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 16:43
The 'oo.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neo-Romantic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 17:14
I really like Zep, but since I'm not as familiar with The Who's catalog, I feel like my vote would be unfair, so I'll pass.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 19:04
Led Zeppelin, far more diverse.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 20:14
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

And a damn good one!
Certainly the Who predates Zeppelin, and they were there at the first British Invasion of the US. By the way, the Who were huge in the US, and one was liable to hear on American radio Baba O'Reilly, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Behind Blue Eyes, See Me Feel Me - just as much as any Led Zep song.

American critics loved the Who, and didn't have much time for Led Zep (or for Floyd, Genesis, or Tull, etc.).

This is the unfortunate truth--  music journalism (and everyone else) loved the Who, whereas the press bashed Zeppelin almost any chance they got.   And why not; to their ears, Zep were no more than a prefabricated group pushing ersatz-Hendrix pablum and selling way too many albums in the process.   No, the press wouldn't have it.   In fact the Who were one of the bands ~ along with Hendrix, Jeff Beck Group and Cream ~ that Zep were accused of impersonating.   And to be honest, in the context of the early 70s, it is fair criticism.   It was only later when Bonzo died that people outside their fanbase realized how great they were and what had been lost.   Then the press jumped on board.

proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 20:36
The Who because of the masterpiece Quadrophenia.

Edited by proggman - November 09 2013 at 20:36
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Misomex777 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misomex777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 21:03
The Stones kick both of their asses 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>