73 [63.48%]
42 [36.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Led Zeppelin Or The Who?
    Posted: January 07 2024 at 10:41
Both are great, but to me The Who is a band I really like among many - while Led Zeppelin is my favorite "classic rock-band". After having loved them for over 2/3ds of my life, I keep discovering things in their eight albums short discography. It was upon revisiting less than a year ago I understood that I prefer In Through the Out Door to Presence.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 09:28
The Who
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 08:57
I love the last side of Quadrophenia and various other The Who music. The Who's It's Hard is the first cassette I bought as a preteen, and the second album ever bought by me (the first was Pink Floyd's Works). "Eminence Front" seems to get the most acclaim there, but I got it for "I've Known No War".

That said, it's Led Zep for sure from me. To mention the "top ten" songs I came up with with in a topic before listed alphabetically:

Carouselambra
Dazed and Confused
Four Sticks
In the Light
Misty Mountain Hop
No Quarter
Rain Song, The
Tangerine
Ten Years Gone
Thank You

Edited by Logan - January 07 2024 at 09:00
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 00:23
Led Zeppelin. Never got into The Who. 
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 22:12
Sandy Denny, though …
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 21:32
I like both but gave the edge to the Who
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 19:48
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

This is a really tough one. Can’t Explain, Happy Jack, Pinball Wizard, I Can See For Miles, Who Are You, Eminence Front, Boris The Spider, Behind Blue Eyes, Magic Bus versus Going to California, Dyer Maker, Black Dog, Ramble On, Over the Hills and Far Away, etc etc etc

No no no.

Battle of Evermore … okay, Led Zeppelin by a nose.

You can't forget The Who's best song, Love Reign O'er Me
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 19:35
This is a really tough one. Can’t Explain, Happy Jack, Pinball Wizard, I Can See For Miles, Who Are You, Eminence Front, Boris The Spider, Behind Blue Eyes, Magic Bus versus Going to California, Dyer Maker, Black Dog, Ramble On, Over the Hills and Far Away, etc etc etc

No no no.

Battle of Evermore … okay, Led Zeppelin by a nose.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 14:22
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ok, so BD didn't actually write it. Big whoop. He did arrange it for his debut and his version precedes the LZ version.

I didn't mean it like that. I am not picking on you in any way. 
Yes, his version obviously predates Zeppelin's. Just wanted to point out the song is not a LZ original. 

Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 13:42
Zeppelin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 10:42

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Neither. Both are great but I'll say neither because although Led Zeppelin were the better band they stole too much from blues guys on their early albums. The Who were more original and maybe even more visceral but they weren't as good so they cancel each other out hence my neither.

Edit: Ok, it looks like I voted for the Who a long time ago. Whatever. 

I think they (and their label) forgot to give credit where they supposed to. They thought Baby I'm Gonna Leave You was a traditional song, They forgot to mention that Dazed and Confused was a cover. Whole Lotta Love plagiarized Muddy Waters and Bring It On Home Sonny Bot Williamson. I don't remember where I read it long ago that even In my Time of Dying lifted ideas from some old blues... 

I'm pretty sure "In My Time of Dying" was written by Bob Dylan.

"In My Time of Dying" was released by Blind Willie Johnson in 1927. Johnson also wrote "Nobody's Fault But Mine". 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:53

Yes even. LZ's version was probably based on the Dylan version.

On Dylan's debut album page it says "Traditional, arranged by Dylan". 
It more or less means that it's a cover of a traditional old song. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:48
Ok, so BD didn't actually write it. Big whoop. He did arrange it for his debut and his version precedes the LZ version.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 06 2024 at 09:54
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:25

Neither. Both are great but I'll say neither because although Led Zeppelin were the better band they stole too much from blues guys on their early albums. The Who were more original and maybe even more visceral but they weren't as good so they cancel each other out hence my neither.

I think they (and their label) forgot to give credit where they supposed to. They thought Baby I'm Gonna Leave You was a traditional song, They forgot to mention that Dazed and Confused was a cover. Whole Lotta Love plagiarized Muddy Waters and Bring It On Home Sonny Bot Williamson. I don't remember where I read it long ago that even In my Time of Dying lifted ideas from some old blues... 

Not even
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:21

Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:18
Zep - no contest.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 08:27

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 08:09

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 06 2024 at 08:11
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 07:41
The Who, without question
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 06:53
LZ so EZ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>