Poll Question: Which is better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [63.48%]
42 [36.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamathousandapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 21:15
I can appreciate The Who but I actually only really get in the mood to listen to Led Zeppelin
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 23:23
Both bands are a bit straight forward and riff style bands. Zeps are better but there's plenty of better 70s bands
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 00:10
The Who
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 01:25
Not as easy a choice as it sounds.

I prefer the vocals of Roger Daltrey.
I don't really prefer the guitaristry of Page or Townsend over the other.
Entwhistle is recognized as one of the top bassists of his day. JPJ's a great multi-instrumentalist, though.
Bonham will get more votes than Moon, who played with plenty of power and verve, too.

I'll vote for LZ because of certain songs and they're more interesting in the lyrics dept., though they also "borrowed" a lot more than they ought to have, e.g. "Taurus" by Spirit.

Edited by verslibre - November 10 2013 at 01:26
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 02:24
The Who
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 05:37
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Both bands are a bit straight forward and riff style bands.

There speaks a man who quite clearly could never have listened to the likes of Quadrophenia or Led Zep III, amongst many others.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 05:49
Led Zeppelin, easily! One of my all time favourite bands! The Who have some nice tracks, but are mostly meh, in my opinion of course.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 15:13
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Both bands are a bit straight forward and riff style bands.

There speaks a man who quite clearly could never have listened to the likes of Quadrophenia or Led Zep III, amongst many others.

Zep 3 and houses are the only zep albums I rate strongly.
I'd be happy to never hear zep 2 and 4 ever again.
Heartbreaker, whole lotta love, living loving maid I couldn't listen to. I feel sick when I hear the outdated guitar and those squeely, rough vocals and the daggy ancient sounding compositions

Edited by dr prog - November 10 2013 at 15:20
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 15:21
Anything but Zeppelin..
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 20:39
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 20:53
I know just about nothing from The Who (well, 3 or 4 songs I think), but I would be really surprised if I got to know them and ended up liking better than Zep.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 20:54
Zeppelin all the way
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 21:56
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi, (...) the value of The Who and their work is much more important and their last album pretty much showed that Led Zeppelin was just another band, whose meaning was ... no meaning ... just a rock'n'roll band!

(...)

Edited by Svetonio - November 10 2013 at 21:57
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 07:46
Very, very close, and my answer could teeter either way.
But, overall, for me anyway, just from their body of work and the overall "feel", Zeppelin drinks The Who's milkshake.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 08:34
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Very, very close, and my answer could teeter either way.
But, overall, for me anyway, just from their body of work and the overall "feel", Zeppelin drinks The Who's milkshake.

The Who is an orange, Zeppelin's a slice of cheesecake. You know you should eat the orange, but you can't help it...
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 08:51
These metaphors are getting out of hand.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 09:10
As much as I like The Who, this is a pretty easy vote for Led Zeppelin for me.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 20:36
Tough choice for me.......both are excellent iconic classic rock bands imho.
Hmmmm.....went with Zep for no clear reason.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 23:11
Zeppelin have only great albums while The Who mainly have only great albums. Many excellent live releases which only underline the awfulness of Who's Last. Not many bands can get an album out of a compromise much less make a rock classic such as Who's Next but they did. Fascinating to think of Zeppelin 1 and In Through The Out Door and how two albums by the same band could be so different, particularly in a world which does not forgive straying into playing different tunes. But prog fans are far more open minded and able to understand progressive applies to our thinking processes as well.

Zeppelin are easier to get (a picture of their output) as they have alot less material. Zeppelin quit when ahead, The Who... are now the Why? Zeppelin on points but it's a close one. Where would we be without them. Interesting how they have shared so much, Zeppelin used to warm up for The Who - probably the only 60s rock act to not be worried about following the Zeppelin silvery trail....
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 11:56
Zep
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>