Poll Question: Which is better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [63.48%]
42 [36.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 18:50
Led Zeppelin by a million miles. I never cared much for The Who. I find the mystique and aura of Zeppelin much more interesting. And the music, well it speaks for itself. A smoldering admixture of so many different styles and moods. They were much more diverse as well.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 21:24
Sure, Led Zeppelin is the Grand Pooba of all rock bands, but I just find The Who to be much more interesting. Yes, this could be said about 'Zep', but the level of musicianship of the latter was amazing in its prime. By the way, Mr. Townshend's autobio Who I Am is an enjoyable read-don't pass it up.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 21:30
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Sure, Led Zeppelin is the Grand Pooba of all rock bands, but I just find The Who to be much more interesting. Yes, this could be said about 'Zep', but the level of musicianship of the latter was amazing in its prime. By the way, Mr. Townshend's autobio Who I Am is an enjoyable read-don't pass it up.

Genesis are my favorite rock band followed closely by Pink Floyd. Led Zeppelin aren't even in my top 10, but I certainly enjoy their music much more than The Who's, but this, as with anything, is subjective from one person to the next. I also have always thought Page's guitar work was much more interesting than Townsend's. Page was primarily a 'blues rock' guitarist, but I loved hearing how his playing evolved over the course of the band's history. He started incorporating so many different strands of musical styles into his own style, which I didn't hear in Townsend's playing. I just connect with Zeppelin more on an emotional level.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 21:36
Zeppelin. For me, The Who fell off rather dramatically after Quadrophenia, and in foggy hindsight Zeppelin just had more albums that really hit me in my formative years. I still remember with delight the first time I heard Physical Graffiti -- one of the albums that really stuck with me.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 21:51
LOVE them both.....in the past I would have said Zep by a mile.....now it is much closer.  In fact I'll have to no-vote this one. I appreciate Pete so much more now than I used to....same with Keith.  

ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 00:09
The Who and quite easily!
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirillov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 07:28
The 'orrible 'Oo
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addictedtoprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 14:23
My vote goes to the band who made 'Achilles Last Stand'
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 14:30
LZ. The Who just don't sound progressive enough or butt-kicking enough to me. I don't remember a time when I heard Pete's guitar speak to me.
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Led Zeppelin by a million miles. I never cared much for The Who. I find the mystique and aura of Zeppelin much more interesting. And the music, well it speaks for itself. A smoldering admixture of so many different styles and moods. They were much more diverse as well.
Yep. That's pretty much the feelings I have about those two bands, though I don't focus on mystique and aura.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 05 2014 at 14:33
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 17:18
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Zeppelin. For me, The Who fell off rather dramatically after Quadrophenia, and in foggy hindsight Zeppelin just had more albums that really hit me in my formative years. I still remember with delight the first time I heard Physical Graffiti -- one of the albums that really stuck with me.

And speaking of falling off, In Through the Out Door! Check, please.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akamaisondufromage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 17:24

not keen on The Ooh.

Led Zep by a Mountain.
Help me I'm falling!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 17:40
Zep for the albums, but the first Who's Eps were fantastic !
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 17:45
Zep vs. The Who? hahahahahahaha. Just kidding. Both are great at what they do so I can't decide. Baba O'Reilly vs. Heart Breaker? I'll pass.

Edited by SteveG - August 05 2014 at 17:47
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:18
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

And speaking of falling off, In Through the Out Door! Check, please.

Yes, and although the coroner didn't report it, I believe John Bonham actually died of chagrin.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 18:23
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

not keen on The Ooh.

Led Zep by a Mountain.
And considering they used to sing about mountains before they washed away, I'd consider that an appropriate measurement of the contrast between the two.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 21:35
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

LZ. The Who just don't sound progressive enough or butt-kicking enough to me. I don't remember a time when I heard Pete's guitar speak to me.

That's pretty much my sentiments. I just don't connect with Townsend. For me, the guitar solo from Stairway To Heaven alone blows away pretty much everything Townsend ever created. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 21:44
I know very little of The Who, mainly a greatest hits album. But for what I heard, I like Zeppelin much better. Still, there were a few songs from The Who that are really special... but there are many other forgetable ones, and I have found more great songs from Zep.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 08:27
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

The 'oo.

+1.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 12:02
Imo, Led Zeppelin cheated their way to success so they lose many points for that. Plus they are way over played and over hyped. I still like them a lot and they are still one of my all time favorite bands but I'm voting for the under dogs known as the WHO. I saw the WHO many moons(no pun intended)ago and they were great. Never saw LZ.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 13:38
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Imo, Led Zeppelin cheated their way to success so they lose many points for that. Plus they are way over played and over hyped. I still like them a lot and they are still one of my all time favorite bands but I'm voting for the under dogs known as the WHO. I saw the WHO many moons(no pun intended)ago and they were great. Never saw LZ.

I never saw "LZ" myself (obviously would have loved to) and do agree about their ample rate of play on classic rock stations. Please explain, though, what you meant by the band cheating "their way to success".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>