Poll Question: Which is better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [63.48%]
42 [36.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 20:54
Along with Pink Floyd, two of the biggest bands of the seventies. I actually voted for the Who because I think they are more under rated. Plus I saw them live once. Led Zeppelin are great but I think they are a tad over rated. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 21 2018 at 20:55
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2018 at 20:59
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

Imo, Led Zeppelin cheated their way to success so they lose many points for that. Plus they are way over played and over hyped. I still like them a lot and they are still one of my all time favorite bands but I'm voting for the under dogs known as the WHO. I saw the WHO many moons(no pun intended)ago and they were great. Never saw LZ.

I never saw "LZ" myself (obviously would have loved to) and do agree about their ample rate of play on classic rock stations. Please explain, though, what you meant by the band cheating "their way to success".
I think he is talking about plagiarism.

Yep, that's exactly what I was referring to. A lot of bands borrowed ideas here and there and covered people's material but LZ took it to a whole other level. It's been well documented though so it's not just my opinion. All you have to do is google "led zeppelin musical plagiarism" or something to that effect or "led zeppelin ripped off old blues musicians." 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 11:47
Regarding 'stealing' musical ideas , chord structures, melodies, and even lyrics... etc....this is a common activity from most musicians. I'd be willing to bet money that if you asked Townsend he would say they 'borrowed' ideas from other earlier bands that came before them. No one lives in a vacuum.
Zeppelin wasn't shy about borrowing blues rock ideas from some of the old masters....for some of their more overt blues-rock songs. IMO they should have owned up to these 'covers' from the start. But in no way does this detract from their legacy imho. No one....no one ...combined the blues and rock quite like they did....period. A unique sound that became iconic.

I saw The Who in 1974 with Moon......didn't see Zep in the old days but saw Plant and Page in 1995/1998 in Chicago.....I enjoyed The Who concert more but I did not see the original Zep so it's an unfair comparison. As far as who is better....that's like asking what's better,,filet mignon or lobster...it's completely a personal taste.  The Who were a great band back then...but there was a 'mythos' around Zep that transcended music and the individual players. There was 'magic in the air'......
But....I wouldn't want to be without either bands music.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 04:59
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 06:50
Led Zeppelin Smile
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 06:53
LZ so EZ
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 07:41
The Who, without question
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 08:09
Neither. Both are great but I'll say neither because although Led Zeppelin were the better band they stole too much from blues guys on their early albums. The Who were more original and maybe even more visceral but they weren't as good so they cancel each other out hence my neither.

Edit: Ok, it looks like I voted for the Who a long time ago. Whatever. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 06 2024 at 08:11
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 08:27
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Neither. Both are great but I'll say neither because although Led Zeppelin were the better band they stole too much from blues guys on their early albums. The Who were more original and maybe even more visceral but they weren't as good so they cancel each other out hence my neither.

I think they (and their label) forgot to give credit where they supposed to. They thought Baby I'm Gonna Leave You was a traditional song, They forgot to mention that Dazed and Confused was a cover. Whole Lotta Love plagiarized Muddy Waters and Bring It On Home Sonny Bot Williamson. I don't remember where I read it long ago that even In my Time of Dying lifted ideas from some old blues... 

Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:18
Zep - no contest.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:21
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I think they (and their label) forgot to give credit where they supposed to. They thought Baby I'm Gonna Leave You was a traditional song, They forgot to mention that Dazed and Confused was a cover. Whole Lotta Love plagiarized Muddy Waters and Bring It On Home Sonny Bot Williamson. I don't remember where I read it long ago that even In my Time of Dying lifted ideas from some old blues... 

I'm pretty sure "In My Time of Dying" was written by Bob Dylan.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:25

Not even
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:48
Ok, so BD didn't actually write it. Big whoop. He did arrange it for his debut and his version precedes the LZ version.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 06 2024 at 09:54
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 09:53

Yes even. LZ's version was probably based on the Dylan version.

On Dylan's debut album page it says "Traditional, arranged by Dylan". 
It more or less means that it's a cover of a traditional old song. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 10:42

"In My Time of Dying" was released by Blind Willie Johnson in 1927. Johnson also wrote "Nobody's Fault But Mine". 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 13:42
Zeppelin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 14:22

Ok, so BD didn't actually write it. Big whoop. He did arrange it for his debut and his version precedes the LZ version.

I didn't mean it like that. I am not picking on you in any way. 
Yes, his version obviously predates Zeppelin's. Just wanted to point out the song is not a LZ original. 

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 19:35
This is a really tough one. Can’t Explain, Happy Jack, Pinball Wizard, I Can See For Miles, Who Are You, Eminence Front, Boris The Spider, Behind Blue Eyes, Magic Bus versus Going to California, Dyer Maker, Black Dog, Ramble On, Over the Hills and Far Away, etc etc etc

No no no.

Battle of Evermore … okay, Led Zeppelin by a nose.

Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 19:48
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

This is a really tough one. Can’t Explain, Happy Jack, Pinball Wizard, I Can See For Miles, Who Are You, Eminence Front, Boris The Spider, Behind Blue Eyes, Magic Bus versus Going to California, Dyer Maker, Black Dog, Ramble On, Over the Hills and Far Away, etc etc etc

No no no.

Battle of Evermore … okay, Led Zeppelin by a nose.

You can't forget The Who's best song, Love Reign O'er Me
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 21:32
I like both but gave the edge to the Who
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>