Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew user saying hello!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New user saying hello!
    Posted: November 10 2013 at 15:07
So I'm not totally new here, or, to be precise, I'm just new on the forums. I've been "lurking" on the site for months now, looking for new music to listen and reviews to check out. For some reason, now I decided to actually register on the forums. Smile

So, hello! I'm a 20 year old guy from Hungary, currently deep in my studies in a computer engineering university (the toughest one in Hungary.. - but I digress). I've been a music enthusiast since like...  my early teen years, but the whole serious stuff started when my brother introduced me to progressive rock. 

He used to listen ELP and Dream Theater a lot on the CD player, so I listened along.. and I liked it a lot! Unfortunately, I wasn't that much into the thing yet, so many years had to fly away until I dived into the genre again. Oh, and by the way, my brother is also on this site, under the nickname of "klvin": http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=20452 Smile

So I started to listen to a lot of prog early-mid summer this year, and I'm really into it now! Wink Slowly I started to discover the huuuge world of progressive rock, and I'm so amazed by it! So many great bands and songs can be found all around this site and it seems like I'll never get bored of them. 
I started mainly with Dream Theater and ELP, of course because of the earlier impressions were great. Then I discovered the amazing songs by Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson and basically most of the great classics. Usually I start searching for new stuff on the "PA Top Albums" page, but sometimes it's just by accident. Nowadays I listen to Haken, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Pain of Salvation the most, though this is just a small selection. 

If you're more interested to see what I listen to, I recommend you to check out my Last.fm profile: here: http://www.last.fm/user/Hadron24 
I think it's an awesome site where you can also find people with similar musical taste, and... let's face it: I like it when my library looks so pretty and complete Embarrassed Also, feel free to add me as friend! 

So yeah, sorry for the wall of text, but I felt like writing all this stuff down here. Thanks if you read it Tongue I guess I'll enjoy my stay here very much. 
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 15:20
Welcome Hadron! Glad to see you're finding more great prog music, the modern prog scene interests you more - and i like that. Wink

Modern bands that may interest you: The Mars Volta, Intronaut, Karnivool, and Oceansize.
Hope to see you poke around here more often.

Dig the Death Note avatar too. Thumbs Up

Edited by Horizons - November 10 2013 at 15:27
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 21:22
Hi, welcome -
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2013 at 21:46
Welcome! I hope your find what you're looking for here somewhere. Or that you keep finding things that you didn't know you were looking for

It looks like you're into a lot of the classic pure-prog pioneers but I don't see Rush on your list! Have you given them a spin? I'm pretty biased but maybe they would suit your fancy! Start in the 70s and work outwards from there if you haven't given them an ear yet

edit - just finished surfing your last.fm and yes you have totally heard of Rush LOL

In that case may I recommend Coheed and Cambria? They're like a more emo-but-less-wrist-cutty-and-more-story-telly modern version of Rush. Check 'em!

I dunno. There's a lot. This kind of says it all for things I would recommend. Happy reading
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49981

Edited by Queen By-Tor - November 10 2013 at 21:52
Hadron View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2013 at 04:43
Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes! 

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Modern bands that may interest you: The Mars Volta, Intronaut, Karnivool, and Oceansize. 
Oh, I've heard about The Mars Volta, but I still need to check them out. Many people seem to recommend them. I'll give a listen to the others as well. Thanks! Wink

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Dig the Death Note avatar too.
Hehe, thanks. I liked the anime as well, though this avatar was just a quick random select from my avatar folder. 

Originally posted by Queen By-Tor Queen By-Tor wrote:

edit - just finished surfing your last.fm and yes you have totally heard of Rush LOL
In that case may I recommend Coheed and Cambria? They're like a more emo-but-less-wrist-cutty-and-more-story-telly modern version of Rush. Check 'em!

I dunno. There's a lot. This kind of says it all for things I would recommend. Happy reading 
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49981
Oh yes, I do know Rush. LOL Although I'm not familiar with their whole discography yet (I'm starting to listen more and more albums), I know and like most of their higher-rated albums (Moving Pictures, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves). 
Aye, I just checked that long post of yours and looks really promising Clap I'll most likely check some of those out. Thanks! 
 Post Reply Post Reply