Topic ClosedProg Artists You Have Everything By

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 19:34
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I think the only bands I truly "have everything by" are Djam Karet, Goblin, Zombi and SFF (minus Spektakel).

You ought to try and pick up Spektakel...it's very cool and really shows a different side to what SFF could do when matched up with a vocalist Wink 

I intend to, but it's been a while since I've seen a copy...it went OOP pretty fast!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 23:21

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I think the only bands I truly "have everything by" are Djam Karet, Goblin, Zombi and SFF (minus Spektakel).

You ought to try and pick up Spektakel...it's very cool and really shows a different side to what SFF could do when matched up with a vocalist Wink 

I intend to, but it's been a while since I've seen a copy...it went OOP pretty fast!

Wow, didn't know it was OOP...guess I got lucky when I picked it up a few years ago Wink
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 00:03

I'd have everything by Rush if they wouldn't keep releasing so many live albums LOL

Then again, I don't have a single compilation of works by them either, but I tend to avoid those. I'm too much of an album purist.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 03:37
Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

I'd have everything by Rush if they wouldn't keep releasing so many live albums LOL

Then again, I don't have a single compilation of works by them either, but I tend to avoid those. I'm too much of an album purist.

If you have all the studio & live albums, then compilations don't count and that's money better spent elsewhere!
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 05:44

Originally posted by Neo-Romantic Neo-Romantic wrote:

If you have all the studio & live albums, then compilations don't count and that's money better spent elsewhere!

Ha very good point Handshake

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 05:56
The day I get everything by Tangerine Dream, is the day I voluntarily submit myself to the discretion of the local loony bin. 
I was just thinking about this here the other day, and I genuinely don't have that 'collector's disease'. Sure there are bands where I own almost everything by them, but it's not a calculated thing. I love TD but do I really need Melrose in my possession? Nah I don't think so...
Same goes for a lot of other bands actually. I don't have a craving for the latest Wilson lead Genesis, even if I adore the band's output up until the 'Shapes' record. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 07:39
I am not a completist, nor have I ever been, in the 80s the 12" single put pay to any notion of ever becoming one of those, do I really need four copies of the same single in different formats with various "remixes" of the same track? No I don't. Does any one really need the same album with four different covers? No they don't. Just as I would have never considered buying the vinyl and cassette versions of any studio album, a tru-completist would be compelled to get one of every format available, and all the various reissues and remasters and any regional variants.

There are many bands that I own every studio and every official live album of, I draw the line at singles, eps, compilations and box sets, even for Pink Floyd I do not own copies of A Collection of Great Dance Songs and Works or any of the box-sets, I do however own the four "Italian singles" released in the mid 70s and I did pay import prices for them at the time.

If I like a band I do tend to go on a discography buying spree until I find that one album that makes me reconsider the rational logic of that. Same for bands that I've followed since the year dot, such as Marillion where my interested persisted unbroken from Jester until Somewhere Else, when I simply stopped buying their albums just because they existed, (or Genesis after Duke Tongue).

The four artists I still follow that path for currently are Steven Wilson, Pain of Salvation, Opeth and The Enid. 

And no doubt Waters and Gilmour, if they ever release more studio albums, solo or otherwise.

Of course if the discography is small then the chances of being a completist by accident or default is possible, for example I am a Headspace completist, owning both their sole album and their lone EP, but this was not a deliberate move to own their entire discography. There are many bands that fit that 'accidental' criteria.

Actually, I would love to own every TD studio album, but the challenge and subsequent cost is far too great.

Edited by Dean - November 17 2013 at 07:39
What?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 10:42
I'm also not a 'completist', but I have just about everything by Zep other than one or two of their live things. I do have most of the Tull stuff except for Wraps, Catfish, and Rock Island. Probably wouldn't play them so never bought them.
Have all the Beatles stuff but then most here prolly have them also.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 10:48
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Actually, I would love to own every TD studio album, but the challenge and subsequent cost is far too great.

You're mad. I love it!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 11:09
I have every album from Khan. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 11:10
^I'm the same with CervelloWink

- Douglas Adams
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 13:57
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The day I get everything by Tangerine Dream, is the day I voluntarily submit myself to the discretion of the local loony bin. 
I was just thinking about this here the other day, and I genuinely don't have that 'collector's disease'. Sure there are bands where I own almost everything by them, but it's not a calculated thing. I love TD but do I really need Melrose in my possession? Nah I don't think so.../DIV]

That was the first album that made me suspect they'd really lost the plot. While Optical Race and Lily On The Beach were rather uneven (the latter more so), they had some genuinely good music, though you could probably scoop up a handful's worth now between the both of them and be happy with that.
Zenbadger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2013 at 18:21
When I actually think about it there's not many bands that have a sizeable discography where I actually own everything...

I know I have every Bob Dylan release and then some!

I also have all the genesis stuff apart from genesis to revelation and wind. Lost my copy of wind a while back and im looking to upgrade my collection to the sacd box sets.

I own the most grateful dead though, borders on the ridiculous but it's a mild addiction. Thankfully I don't have allthe vvarious live albums so it's by no means a complete collection but I must have over 40 grateful dead albums, dvds and box sets
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12