Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Gilmour working on a new album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Gilmour working on a new album?
    Posted: November 13 2013 at 21:54
I just read something on facebook about Graham Nash having said in a recent interview that he and Crosby are recording vocals for Gilmour's new album (and as I understood the note it's recent news, they are not talking about "On an Island" one from over 6 years ago). Anyone knows anything else about that.
ComfortablyNumb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 22:26
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 23:04
^ Great news indeed. 'On An Island' was superb, 'Live In Gdansk' even better. He should still have it in him to deliver another special album
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 00:42
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Great news indeed. 'On An Island' was superb, 'Live In Gdansk' even better. He should still have it in him to deliver another special album

Clap
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 06:24
Can you imagine? Next year a new Gilmour and a new Waters...
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 07:06
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Approve

pde View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 10:37
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Can you imagine? Next year a new Gilmour and a new Waters...

They should do a joint tour.  Each plays a 90 min set and then they join together for a 60 min PF set.  They could alternate who pays first and second each night.   They each have so much material they could have and A & B set lists with and A & B PF set list too.  See them on back to back nights and get different shows
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 10:56
Wow! This is great news. I adore all three of them and can vividly imagine them singing together. Both Nash and Crosby have always had a sweet tinge to their vocals, and I gather it'll be a perfect match for the raspy note David has acquired with age. 

This news made me realise something else though. I have actually never heard On an Island before (nor the Gdansk one), and I'm just about the biggest Gilmour fan north of HamburgEmbarrassed
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 11:54
Dave you can't go wrong with On An Island if you're a Gilmour fan and I know you are Big smile
When the melodies are starting to sink in, the album is no less than stunning.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 23:11
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Wow! This is great news. I adore all three of them and can vividly imagine them singing together. Both Nash and Crosby have always had a sweet tinge to their vocals, and I gather it'll be a perfect match for the raspy note David has acquired with age.
This news made me realise something else though. I have actually never heard On an Island before (nor the Gdansk one), and I'm just about the biggest Gilmour fan north of HamburgEmbarrassed

My advise, go for the live album, that one is so much better. More energy, better guitar solos, and Rick Wright is part of the band through the whole show (instead of just one or two songs as in the studio album), which actually makes the performance almost a Pink Floyd show. Oh yeah, and you get a nice collection of Pink Floyd songs, perhaps the most stunning of which is "Echoes". However, you must know there are not female backing vocals on this one, so some of the Floyd songs may sound a bit different because of that.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 23:12
Oh yeah, and it's great that this new album is truly confirmed... thanks for the link. Indeed, it will be great to see new Waters and Gilmour in one or two years (I guess). I wonder who will make a better album.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 23:25
Awesome news and a great interview with Graham Nash. It is incredible how he stresses  he and Crosby don't get paid a cent for playing with Don Felder, John Mayer, Dave Gilmour etc. They are ' musicians'......must be very rich ones at thatSmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2013 at 23:29
there are not female backing vocals on this one, so some of the Floyd songs may sound a bit better because of that.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 20:38

Personally, I think one ought to get On an Island before getting the live Gdansk. With Gdansk, one gets umpeenth versions of DSOFTM tracks played live, yet another rendition of Comfortably Numb and High Hopes, and an okay (albeit over-rated) version of Echoes that of course doesn't come close to equaling the original version nor the live version heard on Live at Pompeii.

With an over-saturation of live discs (Delicate Sound of Thunder, Pulse, Is There Anybody Out There, In the Flesh, Remember That Night, Live at Gdansk), the one I quite like is David Gilmour in Concert, with acoustic renditions of Shine On and other tracks.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 21:41
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Personally, I think one ought to get On an Island before getting the live Gdansk. With Gdansk, one gets umpeenth versions of DSOFTM tracks played live, yet another rendition of Comfortably Numb and High Hopes, and an okay (albeit over-rated) version of Echoes that of course doesn't come close to equaling the original version nor the live version heard on Live at Pompeii.
With an over-saturation of live discs (Delicate Sound of Thunder, Pulse, Is There Anybody Out There, In the Flesh, Remember That Night, Live at Gdansk), the one I quite like is David Gilmour in Concert, with acoustic renditions of Shine On and other tracks.

The thing is, with Gdansk the whole "On an Island" is played, and for me, in a much better way (you might consider the other Floyd songs as a bonus). Actually, I might just as well never put the "On an Island" studio album again... if I want to listen to that piece of music, I'd rather put the CD or DVD of the live version. Of course, many people don't really like the way songs sound live and prefer the perfectly planned and executed studio versions. As for Echoes, there are parts I do like better on this new version... specially the guitar solos are so much better, more powerful, and more mature... still, there are some nuances that are lost for which overall I like better the studio version. Also, I wouldn't really say there's an over-saturation of live albums Floyd related, and I enjoy them all for their different reasons. Of course, David Gilmour in Concert is perhaps the most unique of this live albums, and has some great versions from most songs.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2013 at 22:10
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The thing is, with Gdansk the whole "On an Island" is played, and for me, in a much better way (you might consider the other Floyd songs as a bonus). Actually, I might just as well never put the "On an Island" studio album again... if I want to listen to that piece of music, I'd rather put the CD or DVD of the live version. Of course, many people don't really like the way songs sound live and prefer the perfectly planned and executed studio versions. As for Echoes, there are parts I do like better on this new version... specially the guitar solos are so much better, more powerful, and more mature... still, there are some nuances that are lost for which overall I like better the studio version. Also, I wouldn't really say there's an over-saturation of live albums Floyd related, and I enjoy them all for their different reasons. Of course, David Gilmour in Concert is perhaps the most unique of this live albums, and has some great versions from most songs.

The thing is, my favorite tracks from On an Island - the title-track, The Blue, Smile, and Where We Start - sound much better on the original album, in my opinion. But the other tracks, which I'm not all that crazy about, do actually sound better on the live album, strangely enough...

Edited by jude111 - November 16 2013 at 22:11
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 02:43
There are popular classic bands like Camel that came together after many years to please their fans and It is really disappointing to see both Waters and Gilmour planning new solo albums but not coming together and try to produce another PF album in their last years of their life.At least they could plan a live show and play Animals,The Wall and DSOTM..
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 08:02
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

There are popular classic bands like Camel that came together after many years to please their fans and It is really disappointing to see both Waters and Gilmour planning new solo albums but not coming together and try to produce another PF album in their last years of their life.At least they could plan a live show and play Animals,The Wall and DSOTM..

Isn't  Camel really just Andy Latimer by a different name? Keyboardist Peter Bardens (the Richard Wright, or Tony Banks, of the band - imagine Floyd or Genesis w/o them) left Camel in 1978, never to return. Bassist Doug Ferguson left in 1977, and drummer Andy Ward left Camel in 1981. Did the original band ever come together again?

Floyd did reunite in 2005 for a performance at the global awareness event Live 8. 

Edited by jude111 - November 17 2013 at 08:04
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 08:10

Isn't  Camel really just Andy Latimer by a different name? Keyboardist Peter Bardens (the Richard Wright, or Tony Banks, of the band - imagine Floyd or Genesis w/o them) left Camel in 1978, never to return. Bassist Doug Ferguson left in 1977, and drummer Andy Ward left Camel in 1981. Did the original band ever come together again?

Floyd did reunite in 2005 for a performance at the global awareness event Live 8. 

Consider that Bardens is passed away as well as Rick Wright. 
Anyway on youtube there's a movie of Latimer, Ferguson (more fat than Greg Lake) and Ward playing together in Latimer's house. I don't have the link but I've seen it.

The lineup is not all. The three above played on "I wish I'd Write A Song" of Philip Goodhand-Tait, and they didn't sound like Camel (it was 1971, just after The Brew)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 08:11

My sentiments exactlyClap 
Also you can't do a Floyd album without Rick Wright. Just wouldn't be the same. He was as integral to their sound as the wah wah was to the early Hendrix albums.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>