Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Gilmour working on a new album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 08:42
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Also you can't do a Floyd album without Rick Wright. Just wouldn't be the same. He was as integral to their sound as the wah wah was to the early Hendrix albums.

I've been hoping that Gilmour and Waters would record together again, as a tribute to Rick Wright. If a new Floyd album were dedicated to Richard Wright and somehow about him, then I'm all for the other 3 members making a new Floyd album. I can dream... (Also, it has to be really proggy and spacey, and sound like vintage Floyd circa 1973-1975... LOL

Edited by jude111 - November 17 2013 at 08:44
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 09:53
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

There are popular classic bands like Camel that came together after many years to please their fans and It is really disappointing to see both Waters and Gilmour planning new solo albums but not coming together and try to produce another PF album in their last years of their life.At least they could plan a live show and play Animals,The Wall and DSOTM..

Isn't  Camel really just Andy Latimer by a different name? Keyboardist Peter Bardens (the Richard Wright, or Tony Banks, of the band - imagine Floyd or Genesis w/o them) left Camel in 1978, never to return. Bassist Doug Ferguson left in 1977, and drummer Andy Ward left Camel in 1981. Did the original band ever come together again?

Floyd did reunite in 2005 for a performance at the global awareness event Live 8. 

Camel is a band that has changed lineup frequently and now they have the same lineup as their last album in 2002 so the new reunion is not just Latimer but CAMEL.Yes PF(Roger and Dave) even reunited few times after live 8 too.But Gilmour and Waters coming together is always special and I say that they should respect their fans all around the world and reunite again for the last time maybe.I like to see them playing Animals together which is sth I have never seen.

And I agree that Rick was an important part of their sound but the Collaboration of Gilmour and Waters can still result in great new music by itself for sure.

Edited by aliano - November 17 2013 at 09:55
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 10:23

There are popular classic bands like Camel that came together after many years to please their fans and It is really disappointing to see both Waters and Gilmour planning new solo albums but not coming together and try to produce another PF album in their last years of their life.At least they could plan a live show and play Animals,The Wall and DSOTM..

Isn't  Camel really just Andy Latimer by a different name? Keyboardist Peter Bardens (the Richard Wright, or Tony Banks, of the band - imagine Floyd or Genesis w/o them) left Camel in 1978, never to return. Bassist Doug Ferguson left in 1977, and drummer Andy Ward left Camel in 1981. Did the original band ever come together again?

Floyd did reunite in 2005 for a performance at the global awareness event Live 8. 

Camel is a band that has changed lineup frequently and now they have the same lineup as their last album in 2002 so the new reunion is not just Latimer but CAMEL.Yes PF(Roger and Dave) even reunited few times after live 8 too.But Gilmour and Waters coming together is always special and I say that they should respect their fans all around the world and reunite again for the last time maybe.I like to see them playing Animals together which is sth I have never seen.

And I agree that Rick was an important part of their sound but the Collaboration of Gilmour and Waters can still result in great new music by itself for sure.

But, to play devil's advocate here: Guy Pratt has been playing bass for Floyd since 1987 - much longer than Camel's lineup that goes back to 2002. (But, while Pratt might be a nice guy, and he's even married to Richard Wright's daughter, I've never been happy about his connection to Floyd. He seems too happy when he's playing: Floyd's not happy music.)
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 10:36

But, to play devil's advocate here: Guy Pratt has been playing bass for Floyd since 1987 - much longer than Camel's lineup that goes back to 2002. (But, while Pratt might be a nice guy, and he's even married to Richard Wright's daughter, I've never been happy about his connection to Floyd. He seems too happy when he's playing: Floyd's not happy music.)

LOL
That is exactly what I think about girls dancing in a PF show(Deleicate Sound Of Thunder an Pulse).Gdansk and Royal Alber Hall shows were really better without those girls

Edited by aliano - November 17 2013 at 11:01
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 10:45
I get what you guys are saying, but I do actually think Floyd has got a lot of humour in their music. Especially the Syd years. Also what about Ummagumma - or the More album with that silly yet wonderful Spanish piece?LOL Heck most of the early Wright lead tunes also had a unique clumsy British way about them that still make me chuckle a bit. Alan's psychedelic Breakfast? Seamus, Bike, Corporal Clegg and lots of others.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 13:59
^^ I think Guy is happy to be *playing the bass* for Floyd/Gilmour....
.....I can play tritones (or similarly sinister note/music) with a smile on my face. It's just great to play the bass !!
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 14:51
Rumour had it Rick Wright had enough material for a new solo album prior to his death in 2008. It would be great to have them collaborate one more time for a studio release, even with the late Wright's input Smile I think merging Gilmour's material into a Floyd piece would be far easier than Water's merging his.....besides the lads are getting on now and have nothing to prove. It would be nice though.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2013 at 15:08
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Rumour had it Rick Wright had enough material for a new solo album prior to his death in 2008. It would be great to have them collaborate one more time for a studio release, even with the late Wright's input Smile I think merging Gilmour's material into a Floyd piece would be far easier than Water's merging his.....besides the lads are getting on now and have nothing to prove. It would be nice though.

I really can't see it happening, Chris. Although relations are cordial now, there has been far too much water under the bridge for any kind of formal studio collaboration.

I will look forward to both solo albums instead, and hopefully enjoy both.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2013 at 20:43
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I really can't see it happening, Chris. Although relations are cordial now, there has been far too much water under the bridge for any kind of formal studio collaboration.
I will look forward to both solo albums instead, and hopefully enjoy both.

I too have been... well, wishing more than hoping, that Gilmour and Waters (and Mason, of course) would collaborate to complete Wrights recordings into a last Pink Floyd album. Of course, this seems most unlikely, and I have absolutley no idea in what conditions Wright left his recordings (perhaps he already had recorded with other musicians, or didn't record enough, etc). Perhaps it would be a bit more likely that Gilmour could take those recordings and finish them as a Wright (or Wright and Gilmour) album. In the end, it would be great if those recordings could see the light of day in any form. Of course, money wouldn't be the reason for either Gilmour nor Waters to take such a job... but love towards music and Wright... in the end, it would need conviction on their part that they would be doing the right thing, and that they would like the final result.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 16:32
Just saw this on another forum I visit...apparently Gilmour is working on a new album with David Crosby and Graham Nash of all people...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12